(Topic ID: 244141)

Room for one more? A girl & a hobby.

By TheTenderTilt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are there any newbies out there?”

• In the hobby < 1 year 16 votes
      7%
    • In the hobby 1-3 years 40 votes
      17%
    • In the hobby 3-8years 77 votes
      32%
    • In the hobby >8 years 106 votes
      44%

(239 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dr. Smith (resized).jpg
    F94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpeg
    723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg
    AsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015558 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015004 (resized).jpg
    7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    6FF08FDB-5D7E-4468-844A-DF8FDBD5F830 (resized).jpeg
    6B9347BE-AC9F-4AAA-9E3F-17D13EB375D8 (resized).jpeg
    0C49E8FE-0E2B-489B-A723-29A4F712BA50 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    a5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpg
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago

Welcome TenderTilt. Glad to have you here on Pinside.

There is a ladies thread here on Pinside Forum that you may want to check out, though it is not very active lately.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-girls-club/page/6

Several of us Louisiana pinball fanatics make it over to Texas for events such as:
    * Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo (mid Nov)
    http://www.arcadecenter.com/
    * TPF (March)
    * some of the Gulf Coast Pinball Club tournaments in Beaumont, TX, (1 in Spring, and 1 in Fall)

Here is a regional thread that we post in and keep up with what is going on down around here.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulf-coast-pinball-club-se-texas-sw-louisiana

#152 4 years ago

First off Welcome! Ive been in the hobby for 11 years. It started when my daughter asked for a pinball machine instead of a custom arcade I built her. I bought Wwf Royal Rumble the first machine I could afford and brought it home. Half of the mechanisms didnt work and the gi was out. I searched the internet and found Pinside! Ive learned how to fix/restore pins from all the awesome pinsiders to now being in a league to helping others with our crazy hobby! You will meet some wonderful human beings that share your same passion. It is always cool to read about someone new to our little hobby. You live in a great State to offer you support and there are all of us to help you with fixing, restoring, understanding rules, where to buy parts ect ect. Sometimes it can be a frustrating hobby however I still think iits the best ive ever been apart of.
    Harley D.

#154 4 years ago

Welcome

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

You’ve only been in the hobby for ~6 months and have spent probably $14-15k on your collection already?

None of your business dude.

#156 4 years ago

Welcome . The restoration threads here are cool , provide some great info and it is nice to see the amount of work people put into their games to make them really nice . Star Trek the Next Generation is Awesome!

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

First off Welcome! Ive been in the hobby for 11 years. It started when my daughter asked for a pinball machine instead of a custom arcade I built her. I bought Wwf Royal Rumble the first machine I could afford and brought it home. Half of the mechanisms didnt work and the gi was out. I searched the internet and found Pinside! Ive learned how to fix/restore pins from all the awesome pinsiders to now being in a league to helping others with our crazy hobby! You will meet some wonderful human beings that share your same passion. It is always cool to read about someone new to our little hobby. You live in a great State to offer you support and there are all of us to help you with fixing, restoring, understanding rules, where to buy parts ect ect. Sometimes it can be a frustrating hobby however I still think iits the best ive ever been apart of.
    Harley D.

Thanks for the kind words!! There is so much to this hobby and I hope to be able to add something to it and explore it! thanks!

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Welcome TenderTilt. Glad to have you here on Pinside.
    There is a ladies thread here on Pinside Forum that you may want to check out, though it is not very active lately.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-girls-club/page/6
    Several of us Louisiana pinball fanatics make it over to Texas for events such as:
    * Houston Arcade and Pinball Expo (mid Nov)
    http://www.arcadecenter.com/
    * TPF (March)
    * some of the Gulf Coast Pinball Club tournaments in Beaumont, TX, (1 in Spring, and 1 in Fall)
    Here is a regional thread that we post in and keep up with what is going on down around here.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gulf-coast-pinball-club-se-texas-sw-louisiana

Thanks so much for the links! Ill try to keep up and head to those events!

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

You’ve only been in the hobby for ~6 months and have spent probably $14-15k on your collection already?

You do know if it was JJP machines that'd be like nearly.......ONE machine.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You do know if it was JJP machines that'd be like nearly.......ONE machine.

Truer words were never spoken!

#161 4 years ago

I think you have a great mix and very awesome when any person is brave enough to tackle shopping a pin. Personally STNG still scares me. It's great to see new people in the hobby and be invested in doing their own repairs and learn. It definitely saves a lot once you get to your size collection. Your off to a great start. It's so great to wake up and see your pins or just turn them all on and sit back in the amazement that this is your life.

#162 4 years ago

Oh and thanks for helping fund this crazy place with your donation.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I think you have a great mix and very awesome when any person is brave enough to tackle shopping a pin. Personally STNG still scares me. It's great to see new people in the hobby and be invested in doing their own repairs and learn. It definitely saves a lot once you get to your size collection. Your off to a great start. It's so great to wake up and see your pins or just turn them all on and sit back in the amazement that this is your life.

Thank you!! You have me a little worried now! Haha I changed out the lights on the STTNG to LEDs and i was so excited about the command decision lights, the blue one was soooo blue i just kept pointing it out in amazment.

#164 4 years ago

Did you go the easy route and change them from the bottom like I did? If not. Then you got this.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Did you go the easy route and change them from the bottom like I did? If not. Then you got this.

I changed the all of them except the ones under the plastics on the playfield, waiting on my new plastics to arrive to do t at the same time. Lol

#166 4 years ago

STTNG can be kind of a beast. At least repair wise. I'm sure shopping it out isn't much easier. Don't stress about it though as there's plenty of people around the area who can help you out. Just might cost you some play time on your black knight though.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

STTNG can be kind of a beast. At least repair wise. I'm sure shopping it out isn't much easier. Don't stress about it though as there's plenty of people around the area who can help you out. Just might cost you some play time on your black knight though.

I’ll trade play time for knowledge!! Plus I’m not a worthy opponent haha

#168 4 years ago

The old silver ball isn't treating me so kind today but it sure is fun to try.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

The old silver ball isn't treating me so kind today but it sure is fun to try.

It’s always fun!! But so damn frustrating! Haha

#170 4 years ago

More pics of TenderTilt hanging out with Pinsiders.
    20171031_015004 (resized).jpg20171031_015004 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015558 (resized).jpg20171031_015558 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpgAsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpgAsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpg

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

More pics of TenderTilt hanging out with Pinsiders.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Haha yes!! I feel like i should dress as this during a convention! See if anyone gets it. I’ve heard once i have a few vodka cranberry drinks in my hand I’m pretty good at cards.
    Also all the aliens, i mean Pinsiders are perfection! I want to believe.

#172 4 years ago

welcome, have fun!

Been to texas a few times, some great places to play like cidercade in dallas.

For your gameplay improving, one thing that helped me was repeating shots.. for one game ignore the rules of your pin and just hit a certain thing over and over. Hit the target/ramp, gain control, trap the ball, then hit it again and again. When you feel you can hit it as you please move on to another target. Should help a lot with accuracy and control. Good luck

#173 4 years ago

STTNG is a machine I had a love hate relationship with. The hate won and I moved it on for a STLE. Both great games but those side drains just killed it for me. Welcome and hope you enjoy. I have found everyone to be very obliging as a newbie and that continues through to today. I even get asked for advice nowadays. Nice to be able to give back. Your gender shouldn’t matter TheTenderTilt it’s all about our mutual obsession and love for the silver ball. My obsession has been bugging me for 51 years now and I still love it. Cheers Scott

#174 4 years ago

Welcome! Your handle is quite poetic! I wish I’d put more effort into mine when I joined Pinside. Mine simply reflects the name of the main arcade I frequented growing up.

I put a lot of quarters into pinball machines before the age of 16. Then practically none until about 10 years ago. My sister got me back into it. She said “you have to play Lord of the Rings”. I did, fell back in love, bought an LoTR (from Jersey Jack in fact) and have bought/sold probably 15 games since. I truly love pinball. I have some local friends with good collections plus some killer places to play on location about an hour away. In fact, I just played quite a bit of BK SoR last week, and I totally agree that the sound and vision package is outstanding!

Glad you’re here.

#175 4 years ago

TheTenderTilt welcome to pinside! I hope you have fun in the forums and have fun playing pinball. I’m guilty of spending more time on pinside than actually playing pinball. I love the hobby- so much fun with friends and family

#176 4 years ago

That's a nice lineup. I had my STTNG for over 8 years. It's certainly one of my all time favorite games. I recommend saving a few bucks and getting the color display. It takes it to a new level. The problem with orange dots in that the images just become muddied together and you don't realize how much you're missing until you see it in color. It's a complicated game, but every issue you may encounter with it, is going to be detailed on this site...somewhere. Or just start a thread and you'll find many here are great at tossing in their knowledge help fellow pinheads.

Welcome aboard!

#177 4 years ago

My 17 year old daughter would have kittens if I swapped out the retro bmw style orange dmd fo a color one.

Hopefully you put in non ghosting leds in your sttng. Now you need the herg pulse modulator controller boards to give them the analog on off effect and eliminate strobing. Add a subwoofer and bam.

#178 4 years ago

When you eventually run into a repair you need a pro to handle call Brandon at Oldies But Goodies. I don't know if he'll come all the way to Killeen but he's a big supporter of TPF and posts here as Big70

#179 4 years ago

In regards to STTNG I added a shaker motor to mine and it took it to a whole new level.

#180 4 years ago

Heck I thought the title meant one of us had a new baby. Was chiming in to say congratulations. But wow was I wrong.
    Anyway. Welcome to the hobby.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Heck I thought the title meant one of us had a new baby. Was chiming in to say congratulations. But wow was I wrong.
    Anyway. Welcome to the hobby.

Haha! I could see that now. Nope no babies!

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

welcome, have fun!
    Been to texas a few times, some great places to play like cidercade in dallas.
    For your gameplay improving, one thing that helped me was repeating shots.. for one game ignore the rules of your pin and just hit a certain thing over and over. Hit the target/ramp, gain control, trap the ball, then hit it again and again. When you feel you can hit it as you please move on to another target. Should help a lot with accuracy and control. Good luck

Ive been working on repeat shots and I can say there has been an improvement just doing that! Still need to get grasping the ball a little better. Cidercade is great! I love that they get all the new machines, but with that being said i wish there were some older machines too.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Welcome! Your handle is quite poetic! I wish I’d put more effort into mine when I joined Pinside. Mine simply reflects the name of the main arcade I frequented growing up.
    I put a lot of quarters into pinball machines before the age of 16. Then practically none until about 10 years ago. My sister got me back into it. She said “you have to play Lord of the Rings”. I did, fell back in love, bought an LoTR (from Jersey Jack in fact) and have bought/sold probably 15 games since. I truly love pinball. I have some local friends with good collections plus some killer places to play on location about an hour away. In fact, I just played quite a bit of BK SoR last week, and I totally agree that the sound and vision package is outstanding!
    Glad you’re here.

My favorite movie is LOTR So when i saw the pinball I was so excited to play it! they had one at TPF with John Rhys-Davies who plays Gimli and it was like a dream haha he was playing the machine! it was great. I would love to get a LOTR but im hoeing they do a vault edition, that art kills it for me.

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

thetendertilt welcome to pinside! I hope you have fun in the forums and have fun playing pinball. I’m guilty of spending more time on pinside than actually playing pinball. I love the hobby- so much fun with friends and family

I was just saying how I spend more time reading about pinball then playing it! Maybe when i practice more my playing time will increase but right now just trying to catch up with everything pinball!

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's a nice lineup. I had my STTNG for over 8 years. It's certainly one of my all time favorite games. I recommend saving a few bucks and getting the color display. It takes it to a new level. The problem with orange dots in that the images just become muddied together and you don't realize how much you're missing until you see it in color. It's a complicated game, but every issue you may encounter with it, is going to be detailed on this site...somewhere. Or just start a thread and you'll find many here are great at tossing in their knowledge help fellow pinheads.
    Welcome aboard!

I read something somewhere that you need the latest code to do the color display- which then doesnt have the shuttle mode on it? dont quote me on that haha I wanted to get a color dmd but if it requires me to relinquish parts of the originality on playing then idk?

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

My 17 year old daughter would have kittens if I swapped out the retro bmw style orange dmd fo a color one.
    Hopefully you put in non ghosting leds in your sttng. Now you need the herg pulse modulator controller boards to give them the analog on off effect and eliminate strobing. Add a subwoofer and bam.

I read about the ghosting issue, and I dont have the board yet but its on the list! I just changed the lights asap since my GI fuses kept blowing? since the led switch they have been fine and my lights behind the translite will actually stay on now.

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

More
    I read something somewhere that you need the latest code to do the color display- which then doesnt have the shuttle mode on it? dont quote me on that haha I wanted to get a color dmd but if it requires me to relinquish parts of the originality on playing then idk?

I've never heard of that. I can only say for certain, that mine was running the latest code, and it had the shuttle mode (I'm assuming you are referring to the video mode). You would ideally want to run the latest code anyway, as it would give you all the available bug fixes and enchacements for the game.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I've never heard of that. I can only say for certain, that mine was running the latest code, and it had the shuttle mode (I'm assuming you are referring to the video mode). You would ideally want to run the latest code anyway, as it would give you all the available bug fixes and enchacements for the game.

I may have been mistaken, if i find the thread ill link it. I havent updated a code yet, BKSOR is the first one im updating and doing that later tonight

#189 4 years ago

LOTR is a great game all around had two over the years will buy again

#190 4 years ago

I may have been mistaken, if i find the thread ill link it. I havent updated a code yet, BKSOR is the first one im updating and doing that later tonight

You'll need a rom burner or know someone who has one who can burn the rom for you for STTNG. I've got a burner and I may even have spare EEPROMs of the right size for STTNG but I'd have to check.

I'd say you have a decent chance at being on the latest version though if you haven't checked.

#191 4 years ago

I read about the ghosting issue, and I dont have the board yet but its on the list! I just changed the lights asap since my GI fuses kept blowing? since the led switch they have been fine and my lights behind the translite will actually stay on now.

Hmmm. I would check to make sure your fuses are the exact spec in each slot. And then check the GI connectors on your board and inspect for toasted crispiness. I bet they are toasted brown to near black. (Lower left part of the board).

If so, mark all the connector numbers with a sharpie, remove the board, and rebuild the two GI connectors with Molex style. May be overkill now that you don’t have the incandescent draw, but probably a good idea.

#193 4 years ago

I think I know what you're referring to.

The Comedy Roms that they did for the cast have a lot of goofy lines in them. If it defaults to Riker's Poker instead of Shuttle.... Color DMD may not be compatible with that ROM set if that's the case. Really, you're not missing a lot there. I had them, I didn't like them for long term use. They're funny for a few hours, but not at the 60 bucks or whatever, and having to get in there and swap them out.

http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-star-trek-the-next-generation-pinball-machine/

Official page says LX-7 English is the compatible set, but the comedy roms are....also LX-7, so maybe email them if you're planning on using those. Otherwise if you're running LX-7 vanilla....perfectly fine.

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I think I know what you're referring to.
    The Comedy Roms that they did for the cast have a lot of goofy lines in them. If it defaults to Riker's Poker instead of Shuttle.... Color DMD may not be compatible with that ROM set if that's the case. Really, you're not missing a lot there. I had them, I didn't like them for long term use. They're funny for a few hours, but not at the 60 bucks or whatever, and having to get in there and swap them out.
    http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-star-trek-the-next-generation-pinball-machine/
    Official page says LX-7 English is the compatible set, but the comedy roms are....also LX-7, so maybe email them if you're planning on using those. Otherwise if you're running LX-7 vanilla....perfectly fine.

Oh okay yeah i probably took it wrong, i don’t have the comedy ROMs in but i am at lx-6 and need to install the update

#195 4 years ago

GI on that game pulls a ton. And repinning the connector should go along with repinning the board. It's not...super difficult, but definitely needs the correct tools, contacts (Molex Trifurcon .156 pins and headers) and someone with a bit of soldering experience. Even those of us that have done it a bunch can make stupid mistakes.

The last time I got fed up working with a big header, someone recommended to cut the plastic with my wire cutters...seemed like a good idea until I realized it had pulled up a through hole along with it anyways when the crunching plastic apparently torqued the pin enough with a half broken solder joint to loosen the old pad....which then came out easily with the pin. >_< Thankfully, I can solder stitch most through holes with reasonable size traces (IE: Not Williams WPC Switch Matrix!), but man that ticked me off.

Fuses blowing though....could be a lot of things. An intermittent short on one of the lamp circuits (which should still blow the fuse even with LEDs), cracked solder joints on the bridge rectifiers, or rectifiers themselves dying by internal short. It's more likely to be a loose wire somewhere along the sockets, or cracked solder joints, than the BRs just being BAD, given the intermittent nature. You'd definitely know if a BR was fully dead....things just don't even work at all at that point, even if you replace the fuse.

#196 4 years ago

Oh okay yeah i probably took it wrong, i don’t have the comedy ROMs in but i am at lx-6 and need to install the update

Cool, just have someone reflash them and you'll be good to go, minus your high scores.

#197 4 years ago

And just remember we all basically started out scared. Well at least I did. Now I fix everything myself and even do board work. Just like pins you will start to collect tools and some parts. Of coarse after ordering then adding another order because you missed something. It's comical and all part of the journey.

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

Hmmm. I would check to make sure your fuses are the exact spec in each slot. And then check the GI connectors on your board and inspect for toasted crispiness. I bet they are toasted brown to near black. (Lower left part of the board).
    If so, mark all the connector numbers with a sharpie, remove the board, and rebuild the two GI connectors with Molex style. May be overkill now that you don’t have the incandescent draw, but probably a good idea.

Frax

From what i could tell the fuses are correct and everything looks clean, expect for this mark on the board. I checked the bulbs and what the sockets were pulling and the wires. Originally fuse f110 was blown, and i changed it and fuse f109 kept getting hot and blowing if the GI was on on the playfield and the translite area. If the translite area lights were not on then it wouldn’t blow. Once i switched everything to LED the fuse stopped blowing. -i know that’s not a solution, but that’s as far as i got a week ago..

723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg
    #199 4 years ago

Ive been working on repeat shots and I can say there has been an improvement just doing that! Still need to get grasping the ball a little better. Cidercade is great! I love that they get all the new machines, but with that being said i wish there were some older machines too.

Cidercade and BOS pinball lounge are my favorites. BOS is owned by a pinside moderator, and ge has aot of machines from every era. The multiple freeplay barcades, regeneration, and pinstack are amongst some of the other good choices for for pins.

You are in Killeen though, right? The 3 pinballz locations are killer. I just wish they kept better overall care of the pins
    If you get over to san antonio...Whats brewing is the place to go.

#200 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Cidercade and BOS pinball lounge are my favorites. BOS is owned by a pinside moderator, and ge has aot of machines from every era. The multiple freeplay barcades, regeneration, and pinstack are amongst some of the other good choices for for pins.
    You are in Killeen though, right? The 3 pinballz locations are killer. I just wish they kept better overall care of the pins
    If you get over to san antonio...Whats brewing is the place to go.

I agree about Pinballz, I haven’t checked out Regeneration or Pinstack! Says a pinstack is coming to Austin in 2019, will have to check those out when i go to dallas.
    I’ve got what’s brewing on the list for San Antonio but i hardly make it that way. Thanks so much for the insight on some places!!

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/room-for-one-more-a-girl-amp-a-hobby/page/4?hl=lizzyd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.