(Topic ID: 244141)

Room for one more? A girl & a hobby.

By TheTenderTilt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are there any newbies out there?”

• In the hobby < 1 year 16 votes
      7%
    • In the hobby 1-3 years 40 votes
      17%
    • In the hobby 3-8years 77 votes
      32%
    • In the hobby >8 years 106 votes
      44%

(239 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dr. Smith (resized).jpg
    F94F026B-6AC3-4EBA-ACE2-DC3F69D33A9D (resized).jpeg
    723251A2-346B-41A2-8A96-0E6AC46F5550 (resized).jpeg
    AsteroidAnnie-pinball-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    AsteroidAnnie-backglass-Oct2017 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015558 (resized).jpg
    20171031_015004 (resized).jpg
    7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg
    kaneda (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    6FF08FDB-5D7E-4468-844A-DF8FDBD5F830 (resized).jpeg
    6B9347BE-AC9F-4AAA-9E3F-17D13EB375D8 (resized).jpeg
    0C49E8FE-0E2B-489B-A723-29A4F712BA50 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    a5ZqQ7g_700b (resized).jpg

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

also, one of the funnest threads on pinside is the imamaculate baywatch thread, you def need to read up on those.

read this:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-baywatch-nearly-imamaculate
    and then this one:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-sure-do-miss-the-600-play-baywatch-thread

its a long read but so worth the journey

#102 4 years ago

As a fellow newb I echo the comments above. My play has gotten a lot better since I started working on dead flips and catches to cradle the ball. Work on your tap passes, sometimes I’ll just tap pass the ball back and forth 5 or 6 times. Work on different shots specifically when playing. I spent two hours on PinBot just working on various shots in the game last night. Have fun!

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

my biggest advice to getting better when first starting out is do not flip all the time.
    let the ball bounce off one flipper over to the other to slow it down and get control.
    break down the game into your 3 balls. try to accomplish something on each ball and get a payout by ball 3. ie, try locking 1 ball each ball and by ball 3 youll get a multiball. simple stuff like that. once you master that, then try and get that multiball on ball 2, then ball 1, etc. give yourself little goals.
    you mention not wanting to play in something cause youre not super good yet. one of the best ways to get better is watching other players and see how they play the machines. nudging, etc. learning rules by chatting with better players and things like that will def help you increase your scores.
    as far as vids guides go. i would just search for a topic with his name in it when you come across a problem with a game or working on a restoration.

It’s definitely a work in progress. Just for
    First playing where your just slapping shit around to actually understanding the basics of a gameplay. It’s so satisfying to actually hit something you were trying to hit! I’m a competitive and detail oriented person so it’s hard to not be good at something! But I’ll give it a try! I couldn’t get any worse haha

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

As a fellow newb I echo the comments above. My play has gotten a lot better since I started working on dead flips and catches to cradle the ball. Work on your tap passes, sometimes I’ll just tap pass the ball back and forth 5 or 6 times. Work on different shots specifically when playing. I spent two hours on PinBot just working on various shots in the game last night. Have fun!

Nudging is the hardest for me right now, my STTNG doesn’t move at all haha

#105 4 years ago

I lurked for almost 2 years before I finally ponied up and joined the forums. Wanting to vent about the delays in my first game to someone other than my family was also a good motivator. So far so good.

I am currently still doing my research but will probably be posting my first total newb question(s) soonish.

#106 4 years ago

Welcome! If you're interested in competitive/tournament play, check out Tilt Forums: http://tiltforums.com/ Many of the best players in the world and/or game designers post there (I'm neither). Tourney talk, strategy, community-sourced rulesheets for new games, etc.

#107 4 years ago

Welcome aboard...don’t worry, it’s a slippery slope that the pinball addiction can follow. After just about 3 yrs in, I’ve had to change my electrical, do a remodel, and my “extra space” is already full.

#108 4 years ago
    kaneda (resized).jpgkaneda (resized).jpg
    #109 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

[quoted image]

Haha are there any other pinside specific things that i need to know about!! I grasp the Kaneda effect

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from wyopin:

Welcome aboard...don’t worry, it’s a slippery slope that the pinball addiction can follow. After just about 3 yrs in, I’ve had to change my electrical, do a remodel, and my “extra space” is already full.

I was just thinking about the electrical issue, I’ll have to look it up cause i know four machines is not enough! I want atleast ten in my line up! #pinballwishes

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

Haha are there any other pinside specific things that i need to know about!! I grasp the Kaneda effect

Yes. You can’t say Kaneda or Lionman!!

Oh crap what have I done?!?

#112 4 years ago

What kind of floors do you have in your game room? Adding furniture movers (felt bottoms for hard floors like wood or linoleum, hard plastic bottoms for carpet) can make it easier to slide the machine back and forth.

#113 4 years ago

Welcome, I've been in the hobby for almost 5 years and many would probably refer to me as a 'newb' because I waited to join this site (technically, I'm still new regardless). Everyone who I've met that has been around for much longer has been absolutely awesome. I respect those that know way more than I do. I'm humbled to be able to have multiple pins in my collection, and I love seeing other people get to have the pins they love too. I'm going to be adding a pin to my collection in the coming weeks that will require me to learn how to fix things I'm sure (Alien...which can be a bit of a nightmare, appropriately so given the movies), and that's when I'll really show how much of a 'newb' I am. I just hope people don't find me annoying when I need input...it's amazing how fixing a human's problems can be easier than fixing a pinball machine (in some instances, at least).

#114 4 years ago

Awesome that you have an x files! It’s a great game!

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Yes. You can’t say Kaneda or Lionman!!
    Oh crap what have I done?!?

Are we in a Monty Python movie! The knights of Ni!

7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg7A4A3411-8262-4BD0-B0C1-184E94D5BCA2 (resized).jpeg
    #116 4 years ago

A game doesn't have to move for a nudge to do something. STTNG is a good "practice nudger" because you will see the effects. Try this:

Usually when the ball goes toward the top of the right sling, it's likely to go in the outlane and drain....next time you see it going there, just give the machine a nudge/push "forward"...just a little bit of a push will make the ball bounce up off that sling rubber, hit the yellow targets, and back to the playfield instead of draining. Mastering that is a really good way to practice nudging & see the results of it!

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

What kind of floors do you have in your game room? Adding furniture movers (felt bottoms for hard floors like wood or linoleum, hard plastic bottoms for carpet) can make it easier to slide the machine back and forth.

That would make a lot of sense, i just moved them in and it’s on concrete, wanna get a gaudy carpet to fill it out but I’ll have to grab some coasters!

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Awesome that you have an x files! It’s a great game!

I really wanna make it everything it could be! Get a new art package and stuff for it but that’s a down the road trip! Going to try shopping out my first pin -STTNG and our new plastics and stuff in it in a few weeks!

#119 4 years ago

I can agree to this but at the same time i wanna be in the convos! Just wanted to know how bad it was in the water haha

All forums and social media can be harsh places. Just be yourself and if someone pushes you for no good reason....just push back. Have thick skin and not take this place too seriously and you will have fun. Like you already said this is a great place for knowledge about maintaining and servicing your pins. The rest is just hype and opinions. Forums are not safe zones in my experience. In the end the places people are allowed to speak their minds are the most interesting. If people step way over the line the members or mods will step in.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

A game doesn't have to move for a nudge to do something. STTNG is a good "practice nudger" because you will see the effects. Try this:
    Usually when the ball goes toward the top of the right sling, it's likely to go in the outlane and drain....next time you see it going there, just give the machine a nudge/push "forward"...just a little bit of a push will make the ball bounce up off that sling rubber, hit the yellow targets, and back to the playfield instead of draining. Mastering that is a really good way to practice nudging &amp; see the results of it!

I’ll try it out!! Right now with the concrete floor combo i could almost drop kick the thing and it won’t budge haha but I’m going to work on getting the room situated and see if i can master this damn thing!!

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

Welcome, I've been in the hobby for almost 5 years and many would probably refer to me as a 'newb' because I waited to join this site (technically, I'm still new regardless). Everyone who I've met that has been around for much longer has been absolutely awesome. I respect those that know way more than I do. I'm humbled to be able to have multiple pins in my collection, and I love seeing other people get to have the pins they love too. I'm going to be adding a pin to my collection in the coming weeks that will require me to learn how to fix things I'm sure (Alien...which can be a bit of a nightmare, appropriately so given the movies), and that's when I'll really show how much of a 'newb' I am. I just hope people don't find me annoying when I need input...it's amazing how fixing a human's problems can be easier than fixing a pinball machine (in some instances, at least).

I’m so happy from the response I’ve got on here! It really helps push forward and take on more and new challenges. I’ve got to work on my STTNG There are broken plastics and rust on it so going to break it down for the first time and try to do my best! I’m sure I’ll be posting a lot haha

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

All forums and social media can be harsh places. Just be yourself and if someone pushes you for no good reason....just push back. Have thick skin and not take this place too seriously and you will have fun. Like you already said this is a great place for knowledge about maintaining and servicing your pins. The rest is just hype and opinions. Forums are not safe zones in my experience. In the end the places people are allowed to speak their minds are the most interesting. If people step way over the line the members or mods will step in.

If the Black knight hasnt kicked me down yet then I’m thinking I’ve built up that skin! I try not to take anything to seriously, at the end of the day we all just wanna play pinball!!

#123 4 years ago

If the Black knight hasnt kicked me down yet then I’m thinking I’ve built up that skin! I try not to take anything to seriously, at the end of the day we all just wanna play pinball!!

Sounds like you have good outllook. IMO social media is much worst than a hobby forum. You will enjoy this place.

#124 4 years ago

I’m so happy from the response I’ve got on here! It really helps push forward and take on more and new challenges. I’ve got to work on my STTNG There are broken plastics and rust on it so going to break it down for the first time and try to do my best! I’m sure I’ll be posting a lot haha

Just write down everything you take apart in order...then follow the list backwards to put it back together!

#125 4 years ago

Welcome to the hobby!

#126 4 years ago

STTNG is one of the more complicated ones to shop but it’s not impossible, I just finished mine a month ago. Do yourself a favor and take off and clean the subway while you are shopping it so all that dirt doesn’t get pulled back up onto your nice clean playfield. Also a great time to clean all your optos with some rubbing alcohol.

#127 4 years ago

Welcome! Pinside is great to connect with likeminded people and you can learn a lot. I found one of the challenging things in the beginning was figuring out all the acronyms. I still have to occasionally look up what game someone is talking about.
    You have 4 great games so far and it is cool that you are learning to work on them as well.

How did you discover pinball?

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Welcome! Pinside is great to connect with likeminded people and you can learn a lot. I found one of the challenging things in the beginning was figuring out all the acronyms. I still have to occasionally look up what game someone is talking about.
    You have 4 great games so far and it is cool that you are learning to work on them as well.
    How did you discover pinball?

I am always looking up the acronyms!
    I’ve been sharing things I’ve learned or found on a new Instagram/Facebook called Pinball Prophet. I’m a visual person so using photos and writing about things has helped me to remember and push learning more. I shared my first pinball memory on there! https://www.instagram.com/p/BxNcsoMn-Qd/?igshid=1xm32r4zf4qxs

#129 4 years ago

Do you have a link to how to start a league? I don’t know anything about it but it would be a really fun idea!

IFPA will be able to give you info about starting a league: https://www.ifpapinball.com/leagues/

They used to have info posted, but now you have to email them.

I'd also check out this: https://texaspinballleague.wordpress.com/

Looks like you just missed their Austin event, but hopefully, they will have another soon.

I've played in 3 different leagues and they were all run completely different, so find a format you like and just go for it. If you want some more info on how I did it, PM me and I'll dig up some of my old info.

#130 4 years ago

Oh man that’s so helpful! I’ll actually be heading to Dallas at the end of the month! Going to take my friend from the navy to Cidercade and immerse him in the world of pinball!! I’d love to grab boards if your not using them!

I'll shoot you a PM. I need to get over to Cidercade, I actually haven't played Black Knight at all yet. +_+

#131 4 years ago

Ba ha ha! I think it is hilarious that you posted pics of yourself with your games to prove you are real! That is awesome. I agree with the previous statements about tech posts - I have been in about 1-1/2 years and the resources and folks here are invaluable - they have got me out of a few binds when I was banging my head against a wall. Someone once said in post a while back, reach out for help as pinsiders are in pain with the thought that there is a machine out there that isn't working.

Enjoy! PS - nice collection!

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Do yourself a favor and take off and clean the subway while you are shopping it so all that dirt doesn’t get pulled back up onto your nice clean playfield. Also a great time to clean all your optos with some rubbing alcohol.

+1 to that after owning two of them. They come off with a nut driver and all the coils are on quick connect molex....it's not anywhere near as bad to remove them as most people think, and they're usually so bloody dirty that even if you do all of the top, it'll be filthy again in no time flat if you don't do the subways. I can pretty much shop a STTNG blindfolded at this point, lol.... I'm going to end up owning it a THIRD time at some point, and I've got reproduction ramp set sitting in my closet waiting for it.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'll shoot you a PM. I need to get over to Cidercade, I actually haven't played Black Knight at all yet. +_+

Get on that Black Knight! The sound package is so good! It really ties it all together, i wasn’t sure how i felt about the graphics but in person is better than it was on stream! I’m still partial to DMD and color DMD displays but the graphics for this game!

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Ba ha ha! I think it is hilarious that you posted pics of yourself with your games to prove you are real! That is awesome. I agree with the previous statements about tech posts - I have been in about 1-1/2 years and the resources and folks here are invaluable - they have got me out of a few binds when I was banging my head against a wall. Someone once said in post a while back, reach out for help as pinsiders are in pain with the thought that there is a machine out there that isn't working.
    Enjoy! PS - nice collection!

Right! I guess that’s just what you have to do now days!! My real wonder is who tries to catfish someone on a post that’s not selling anything?? What’s the point in that!

#135 4 years ago

Welcome! I'd honestly be surprised if there were any leagues up in Killeen but there is a group here in Austin that holds tournaments fairly regular. The group is Bat City Pinball.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BatCityPinball/

Seems like they're having a tournament tomorrow at Buffalo Billiards downtown tomorrow. I haven't been to any of their events yet but I really should go sometime.

My brother play_pinball just finished shopping out a STTNG so if you have questions while shopping it out he might be able to help. One of the wiring harnesses to the cannon on his game has a break in the wire so we're waiting for that to arrive and get swapped out so that we can actually put some games on it. He actually ordered a spare set of harnesses so if yours needs replacing you might be able to buy that off him. If the wiring harnesses for the cannons haven't been replaced yet odds are they need replacing. They're apparently very prone to failure.

As some general advice when shopping something out I can't stress enough to take lots and lots of pictures. And after you think you've taken enough and you will have no problems getting that piece back together once you take it off... take some more pictures. You don't want to be sitting there trying to put your game back together going "How did I not get a picture of this?! How does this go back on!?"

If you need help with anything feel free to message me. I typically do my own board repair though I'm no expert.

#136 4 years ago

Welcome my friend. I'm glad you posted. And I hope your experiences here are all good.

Back many years ago on Rec Games Pinball. A persons first post had a 50 - 50 shot of getting flamed into oblivion.

Pinside is usually way better at welcoming and helping people. And should you need it, a lot of great help here to assist you.

LTG : )

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Welcome my friend. I'm glad you posted. And I hope your experiences here are all good.
    Back many years ago on Rec Games Pinball. A persons first post had a 50 - 50 shot of getting flamed into oblivion.
    Pinside is usually way better at welcoming and helping people. And should you need it, a lot of great help here to assist you.
    LTG : )

I was just thinking about this but I had the completely opposite thought of you though. I would have said RGP was typically more welcoming. But my memory isn't all that great and I stopped following RGP probably around 2007 or so.

#138 4 years ago

Just don't burn yourself too hard like waspinat0r did.

Read all his threads and do the exact opposite and you'll be fine.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Seems like they're having a tournament tomorrow at Buffalo Billiards downtown tomorrow.

That event was just cancelled. We do have stuff every week at Pinballz and monthly at Buffalo Billiards.
    https://batcitypinball.weebly.com/queer-bomb-tournament.html

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That event was just cancelled. We do have stuff every week at Pinballz and monthly at Buffalo Billiards.
    https://batcitypinball.weebly.com/queer-bomb-tournament.html

Why was it canceled?

I forgot to mention pinballz but i can't really suggest it anymore even if they finally decide to get the games into decent shape since they decided to jack the prices way up. Though you can still get the old pricing on most things for now using quarters until they finally move all the machines to card readers. Can't use quarters on any of the new games though. Those already have card readers.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Why was it canceled?
    I forgot to mention pinballz but i can't really suggest it anymore even if they finally decide to get the games into decent shape since they decided to jack the prices way up. Though you can still get the old pricing on most things for now using quarters until they finally move all the machines to card readers. Can't use quarters on any of the new games though. Those already have card readers.

I’ve been to Pinballz but unfortunately I have the same issue where the games are not working. Or more likely main components are not working. It’s a shame, I’m new so idk and i don’t wanna speakbout if turn but shouldn’t your pinball machines be atleast working if your place is called Pinballz?

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

I lurked for almost 2 years before I finally ponied up and joined the forums. Wanting to vent about the delays in my first game to someone other than my family was also a good motivator. So far so good.
    I am currently still doing my research but will probably be posting my first total newb question(s) soonish.

What?... this is a pinball forum...I thought it was a dating site for Texas girls looking for pinball nerds.... I'm outta here

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Why was it canceled?

Pinball machines at Buffalo Billiards are temporarily unavailable.

#144 4 years ago

Late to the party here but welcome to pinball and pinside.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Welcome! I'd honestly be surprised if there were any leagues up in Killeen but there is a group here in Austin that holds tournaments fairly regular. The group is Bat City Pinball.
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BatCityPinball/
    Seems like they're having a tournament tomorrow at Buffalo Billiards downtown tomorrow. I haven't been to any of their events yet but I really should go sometime.
    My brother play_pinball just finished shopping out a STTNG so if you have questions while shopping it out he might be able to help. One of the wiring harnesses to the cannon on his game has a break in the wire so we're waiting for that to arrive and get swapped out so that we can actually put some games on it. He actually ordered a spare set of harnesses so if yours needs replacing you might be able to buy that off him. If the wiring harnesses for the cannons haven't been replaced yet odds are they need replacing. They're apparently very prone to failure.
    As some general advice when shopping something out I can't stress enough to take lots and lots of pictures. And after you think you've taken enough and you will have no problems getting that piece back together once you take it off... take some more pictures. You don't want to be sitting there trying to put your game back together going "How did I not get a picture of this?! How does this go back on!?"
    If you need help with anything feel free to message me. I typically do my own board repair though I'm no expert.

Thanks for the info! I’m pretty sure a lot of my pieces are put together “wrong” causing bent plastics and so on, hopefully between my photos and pinside I’ll be able to shop this thing! Fingers crossed things go well. I’ll be starting in July once my friend leaves and i can take it apart!!

#146 4 years ago

shouldn’t your pinball machines be atleast working if your place is called Pinballz?

The Lake Creek location pins are not in very good condition, I was there last night.
    The original location pins are almost all playable. I realize that's a low bar but I have to give them credit for improving them this year.

Also, there is a pinball manufacturer in Round Rock. Multimorphic. PM me if you want to visit the factory and we can play some at lunchtime. Buy a game when you come visit!

#147 4 years ago

Welcome TenderTilt! We need more women to join our crazy rank and file! Pinside can be whatever you want it to be. If you want drama, you will find it, if you want help, you will find that too. Everything from BS to deep information is available here. Just have fun with it and DON'T take the forum too seriously.

#148 4 years ago

The Lake Creek location pins are not in very good condition, I was there last night.
    The original location pins are almost all playable. I realize that's a low bar but I have to give them credit for improving them this year.
    Also, there is a pinball manufacturer in Round Rock. Multimorphic. PM me if you want to visit the factory and we can play some at lunchtime. Buy a game when you come visit!

Pinballz on 183 is the only option for "playability".

West and south Austin are a waste of time for pinball.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Welcome TenderTilt! We need more women to join our crazy rank and file! Pinside can be whatever you want it to be. If you want drama, you will find it, if you want help, you will find that too. Everything from BS to deep information is available here. Just have fun with it and DON'T take the forum to seriously.

I’ve been hearing about all the women players but haven’t seen much in pinside yet! I am surprised to see the poll has 27% people playing less than 3 years! That’s exciting to know there’s some fresh meat!

#150 4 years ago

The original location moved back to the top spot since their remodel, hope they can bring it back to how it was before hand.
    Idk they were in Round Rock! I’ve only heard a little about the tables.

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/room-for-one-more-a-girl-amp-a-hobby/page/3?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.