New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 279649)

Ron Webb Centigrade 37 Backglass Quality Problem

By JethroP

49 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201128_153423_resized (resized).jpg
20160708212822890 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 49 days ago

I bought a replacement backglass from Ron Webb which arrived yesterday. Went to install it and it doesn't fit. Turns out it is almost 3/16" taller compared to the original. The original is 22" high while the replacement is almost 22-3/16" high. It doesn't fit in the head box as is, and according to Ron, the rest of his inventory are also the same size. He suggested I post on Pinside to see if others who purchased this product from him had the same problem, and if so what they did to rectify the situation. He has offered to refund my money if I return it, but I was really looking forward to a new glass, and not expecting to have to modify anything on my game to accommodate the replacement glass.

#3 49 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does your game happen to be a prototype or sample, or is it a regular production game?

I don’t know. I don’t see any serial numbers anywhere. Well maybe, is this a serial number— SR4652 hand written with permanent marker under the coin box. But the fact that my original glass is exactly 22” I kind if believe that’s what the new ones should be.

#6 48 days ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

The usual numbers are 22 inches by 20 inches.

This confirms the same size as my original glass .... 22" high. But the one I received is 3/16" oversized.
Thank you for confirming the size of your glass. I believe the glass I received is clearly not within spec.

#9 47 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

That said, I just measured it and it is exactly 22 inches tall.

Interesting....so I guess some were made 22" and some were made 22-3/16 requiring some reworking of the box to fit the glass.

Thank you all for the information. I've decided to return the oversized glass for a refund.

#10 47 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I remember seeing a fully restored C37 at a show a few years ago that docquest brought to the show,

I contacted docquest and he no longer has the game to be able to measure the glass, but he did recall that he didn't have to modify anything for the glass to fit. I'm assuming then that he got a 22" high glass.

#13 46 days ago
Quoted from gpa_joe:

I assume Ron is using tempered glass.

Ron confirmed it is tempered and said it cannot be modified. I had also read long time ago about grinding tempered glass. I guess it's a crap shoot if it survives or blows apart. I'm not going to take that chance.

Quoted from pinhead52:

I just measured my new ron glass at 22 and 1/8th.

I guess the last production run for C37 were all over spec., or the spec allowed for that much tolerance. You can rework your light box to make it fit. I'm not doing that. I'll keep my original glass. I thought maybe Ron would offer some discount for the trouble of having to modify the light box to accommodate his larger than design glass. Apparently not. He offered to take it back, I'm sure to sell to someone else who may not have an issue making it fit.

Everything I read and heard about Ron's glasses were excellent. Good inks, good detail, etc. But when it comes to size, I think he blew it. A piece of glass 22" long should have a tolerance of NO MORE THAN plus or minus 1/16". That give the lazy glass cutter an 1/8" to play with. Huge tolerance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mentor, OH
$ 18.99
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 8,800.00
Pinball Machine
Stealth arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 1,248.00
$ 18.95
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 32.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jethrop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside