New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 279649)

Ron Webb Centigrade 37 Backglass Quality Problem

By JethroP

3 days ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160708212822890 (resized).jpg

#1 3 days ago

I bought a replacement backglass from Ron Webb which arrived yesterday. Went to install it and it doesn't fit. Turns out it is almost 3/16" taller compared to the original. The original is 22" high while the replacement is almost 22-3/16" high. It doesn't fit in the head box as is, and according to Ron, the rest of his inventory are also the same size. He suggested I post on Pinside to see if others who purchased this product from him had the same problem, and if so what they did to rectify the situation. He has offered to refund my money if I return it, but I was really looking forward to a new glass, and not expecting to have to modify anything on my game to accommodate the replacement glass.

#2 3 days ago

Does your game happen to be a prototype or sample, or is it a regular production game?

#3 3 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does your game happen to be a prototype or sample, or is it a regular production game?

I don’t know. I don’t see any serial numbers anywhere. Well maybe, is this a serial number— SR4652 hand written with permanent marker under the coin box. But the fact that my original glass is exactly 22” I kind if believe that’s what the new ones should be.

#4 3 days ago

Well, it was a wild guess. I was thinking that it might have been possible that something got tweaked/adjusted/changed between a prototype/sample game and the full production run.

I remember seeing a fully restored C37 at a show a few years ago that docquest brought to the show, and I'm assuming the backglass was a repro. Maybe he remembers if there was something odd about the sizing of his backbox or backglass?

20160708212822890 (resized).jpg
#5 2 days ago

I have been working with a replacement for my Jacks Open glass, so I have measured and measured the thing several times. The usual numbers are 22 inches by 20 inches.

Some of my Wedgehead backboxes have a side "brace" that pushes the glass towards the middle. Certainly does not affect the height.

#6 2 days ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

The usual numbers are 22 inches by 20 inches.

This confirms the same size as my original glass .... 22" high. But the one I received is 3/16" oversized.
Thank you for confirming the size of your glass. I believe the glass I received is clearly not within spec.

#7 2 days ago
Quoted from JethroP:

This confirms the same size as my original glass .... 22" high. But the one I received is 3/16" oversized.
Thank you for confirming the size of your glass. I believe the glass I received is clearly not within spec.

I had the same issue with an Abra glass (Ive actually got a c37 glass I havnt even removed from the box). Had to take the vent cover strip out of the head, shave it with my belt sander and put it back in to gain the clearance. I'll pop open my c37 and measure it for you, Im sure the run of 30 glasses were all the same. (Minor plug, if anybody has a c37 that needs restoration I have a pf an bg waiting)

Ken

#8 2 days ago

When I bought my C37 about 5 years ago, I was told the backglass was a repro. It is definitely top quality, so I always assumed it is a Ron Webb because Shay doesn't make C37. That said, I just measured it and it is exactly 22 inches tall.

#9 2 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

That said, I just measured it and it is exactly 22 inches tall.

Interesting....so I guess some were made 22" and some were made 22-3/16 requiring some reworking of the box to fit the glass.

Thank you all for the information. I've decided to return the oversized glass for a refund.

#10 2 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I remember seeing a fully restored C37 at a show a few years ago that docquest brought to the show,

I contacted docquest and he no longer has the game to be able to measure the glass, but he did recall that he didn't have to modify anything for the glass to fit. I'm assuming then that he got a 22" high glass.

#11 2 days ago

I assume Ron is using tempered glass. If it is not tempered take it to a glass shop and have them cut it . If it is tempered continue reading.Many years ago I had a similar problem with a Tempered Gorgar Glass. At the time it was a limited production run and they were all sold out with no more to be made.The gentleman that sold me the glass told me to take it to a local glass shop and have them grind/polish the excess off. I was afraid of the outcome but it was pretty much a no loose because if it worked the gentleman would refund the cost of the repair and if it didn’t he would refund the cost of the glass or I could just send it back for a refund. I really wanted the glass so I found a shop that could do the job. Fortunately all went well no damage and the glass fit when the job was done . Maybe you can work a similar deal with Ron?

Good luck.

#12 2 days ago
Quoted from gpa_joe:

I assume Ron is using tempered glass. If it is not tempered take it to a glass shop and have them cut it . If it is tempered continue reading.Many years ago I had a similar problem with a Tempered Gorgar Glass. At the time it was a limited production run and they were all sold out with no more to be made.The gentleman that sold me the glass told me to take it to a local glass shop and have them grind/polish the excess off. I was afraid of the outcome but it was pretty much a no loose because if it worked the gentleman would refund the cost of the repair and if it didn’t he would refund the cost of the glass or I could just send it back for a refund. I really wanted the glass so I found a shop that could do the job. Fortunately all went well no damage and the glass fit when the job was done . Maybe you can work a similar deal with Ron?
Good luck.

its tempered... I just measured my new ron glass at 22 and 1/8th.

If you (try to) return the glass you will be hard pressed to find another...

ken

#13 1 day ago
Quoted from gpa_joe:

I assume Ron is using tempered glass.

Ron confirmed it is tempered and said it cannot be modified. I had also read long time ago about grinding tempered glass. I guess it's a crap shoot if it survives or blows apart. I'm not going to take that chance.

Quoted from pinhead52:

I just measured my new ron glass at 22 and 1/8th.

I guess the last production run for C37 were all over spec., or the spec allowed for that much tolerance. You can rework your light box to make it fit. I'm not doing that. I'll keep my original glass. I thought maybe Ron would offer some discount for the trouble of having to modify the light box to accommodate his larger than design glass. Apparently not. He offered to take it back, I'm sure to sell to someone else who may not have an issue making it fit.

Everything I read and heard about Ron's glasses were excellent. Good inks, good detail, etc. But when it comes to size, I think he blew it. A piece of glass 22" long should have a tolerance of NO MORE THAN plus or minus 1/16". That give the lazy glass cutter an 1/8" to play with. Huge tolerance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 289.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 73.99
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 295.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 159.99
$ 339.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
$ 94.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside