Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kruzman
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN1880.JPG
DSCN1863.JPG
WP_002284.jpg
P7300279.JPG
P6140521.JPG
P6100441.JPG
P6100430.JPG
Kruzman_Spirit.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I wanted to post a few comments about a Spirit playfield that Ron Kruzman restored for me. I bought it from John Dayhuff two years ago, and although there was very little wear, the paint showed extensive "planking", or vertical lines.

John shipped the playfield (actually the pair) to Ron, who ultimately repainted the entire surface and then cleared it. The level of detail is staggering -- there are large areas that have a "half-tone" dot pattern, and somehow Ron managed to repaint these entire areas as well as the lettering. He did an amazing job, and I can't imagine anyone being able to detect that it has been repainted without a *very* close examination. Even then, it would be tell-tale signs such as darkening of the wood in unpainted areas. He also re-painted the back side in the original grey, so it looks brand new. I've attached a photo to give you a sense.

Paint was followed up by a beautiful clearcoat. It's a bit thick for my taste (closer to a modern playfield versus an older solid state), but the inserts are all completely flat and it is nothing short of stunning.

It was a looooong project, but I knew that going in, and Ron did an excellent job of communicating all along. I could have pushed him, but it was more important to me that he spend as much time as necessary to get it done right -- which he did! He didn't bill me until the job was done, and I was frankly shocked at how reasonable it was, considering the amount of time he must have put into this job. He also built a nice wood crate and wrapped it in paper and padding inside the crate so it was bullet-proof.

I know Ron isn't the most popular guy with some folks, but my experience has been wonderful -- the quality of his work, and the very fair cost -- I could not be happier. If I had another important playfield that needed to be restored, Ron would be my guy for sure.

Randy Peck

Kruzman_Spirit.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Oh man. Drooling here big time. I would soooo love to get my hands on a Spirit, I can't even imagine how awesome yours is going to turn out now.

Ron is really the best.

#3 6 years ago

Ron does some of the best work out there.

#4 6 years ago

Alright Randy! I expect to see this game at PAGG next year. Maybe we can get all the Spirits together again.

#5 6 years ago

I remember that PAGG Steve. Three or four Spirits if I remember correctly and Randy was still looking for a Spirit at that time. Glad you got the hook up Randy.

Rob

#6 6 years ago

I believe we had 4 that year Rob, there are 7 Spirit's in the area now. It would be cool to get them all together for a photo op next year. I just don't know if the show will allow us to take up so much space since they were almost full this year.

Quoted from MrBellMan:

I remember that PAGG Steve. Three or four Spirits if I remember correctly and Randy was still looking for a Spirit at that time. Glad you got the hook up Randy.
Rob

#7 6 years ago

I would really like to see that pf installed at the califorina show. I really want to go to that show, and I fell in love with this pf.
Here is some wisdom I have learned the hard way. Many times you pick up a used pf that looks really good but is about 30 years old. When you repaint areas, it really stands out because the old paint is yellowed, even if you matched the colors just right, you can tell the difference. Then you have areas that are bogarted by one stupid flaw, and if you are going to put so much time and money in to it, you may as well go all the way. The only thing that didn't get painted is about 1/2 of the text, and I would have liked to do it, but my work wasn't that much better to justify doing it. I even painted the whole black background. all by hand. Totally fell in love with the game, and now I am convinced it is gottlieb's best game ever!!!!!

I know randy has almost all of the parts he needs to make an awesome game, and I would really like to see tha game that is nicer than what this one is gonna look like!!!

I don't like thick clear at all, but when I do old, used pf's it takes a lot to get them level, plus I finished the job about 5 times, and saw something I didn't like, so I fixed it and recleared. Oh well.
I have worked for 9 years building the skills and a reputation, and I have never been so tempted to throw it all away, and disappear with this pf, and go back to being a shrink. Maybe next time.
Lastly, Thank you randy, for not once, bugging me about how long it took. cheers, ron k

#8 6 years ago

Glad to hear that this turned out good for all that was involved. I seen Rons work on that playfield as it progressed (as well as others) for the months and months he had it and its hard to believe its the same playfield. I've attached some pictures of what Randys playfield looked like before it went to Rons. Rons work is truly amazing and I'm planning on dropping off another playfield for him to clear next week sometime. I'll be in touch soon Ron.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

P6100430.JPG P6100441.JPG P6140521.JPG P7300279.JPG

#9 6 years ago

Folks really have no idea how much time goes into this type of playfield restoration...well done Ron.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

and go back to being a shrink

Really? There's gotta be a story with that. Unless you don't want to talk about it, which is fine also.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Really? There's gotta be a story with that. Unless you don't want to talk about it, which is fine also.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#12 6 years ago

I hope to one day get to my Spirit restoration although it's a nice original so it's a backburner project at the moment. I was fortunate enough to buy everything (NOS) I needed for my game before anyone found out how fun they are and the parts dried up. I even got John T to sign my NOS playfield the last time I saw him. WP_002284.jpg

#13 6 years ago

approx. how much does that cost to get done?

#14 6 years ago

I believe we had 4 that year Rob, there are 7 in the area now. It would be cool to get them all together for a photo op next year.

I found the pictures! Pin-A-Go-Go 2006!

Enjoy!

DSCN1863.JPG DSCN1880.JPG

#15 6 years ago

Ron's work is just the best...

I can not say enough good things about the work he has done for me!!!

The hours and hours of work that is put in to the work on his playfields is nothing short of a labor of love.

#16 6 years ago

John, is your computer back up? Thanks for posting the pics that I always forget to take. I think john has sold over 500 pinball machines and he has pics of every one, where my record keeping could be improved.
So is pin a go go the ca show that is in the fall? If that pic of all of those spirits is indicative of the selection and quantity of rare games, I gots to go!!!!!
Here is an idea for you spirit owners out there. I am trying to get randy to sell me his core pf, or if someone has an extra, then what I can do is what I am doing with the IJ project. I will sell you the restored pf so you can do a swap (much easier than sending out, waiting, and trying to put it back together) and we agree on a price or range that you will sell me your old pf for, and that you will do the job within 6 months.
I don't know of one spirit in the Midwest. Dayhuff had one, but it is gone, and I am not sure where it went, but mark my word, I will own one!!!!

So I am on the hunt for a used spirit pf core. I have other pf's for trade some very rare. I haven't accepted any new restorations since johns Herc, which is about 8 months I think, but I would do a restoration as part of a spirit pf deal. So there's my offer!!!!

Naturally people ask about price. I cant tell until I have the pf in my hand, and at thatr point it is an estimate that I try to stick to. I communicate with the customer, to make sure he is ok with spending more. When I go over the estimate, guilt makes me charge about 1/2 the usual price or even less. I really appreciate my customers that spend huge dollars on restorations which allow me to do the job as well as I can, but I also realize it is crazy to spend so much on a pf, so I really do my best to keep the prices down.
One of the reasons it takes me so long, is I have to double coat everything, and yellows sometimes need 3 coats. Plus many times I have to add a coat just to get the paint to lay flat, and not show brush strokes. The goal is for the customer not to be able to tell what was painted, and how it was painted.
All right I am rambling. Since it has been over 100 deg for the last 4 days, I am starting working night shift, tonight. Right now, it is 2 am and still 81 deg out side. relitave humidity is so high that the grass was wet all day today, and it was sunny all day. Haven't worked since sat, so hopefully, it is cool enough out there to get some quality work done.
Thanks for the compliments, I wish pics could show how good it really looks. I cant weait to see it installed!!!!
ron kruzman

#17 6 years ago

Very good work....whats the cost of this?

#18 6 years ago

mato, read the post right above yours for price info.

#19 6 years ago

Ron, are there any other 'special' PF's that would break the exception to you taking on new work?
I know a Doctor Who won't cut it....because I tried to get you to take that on a few weeks ago.

#20 6 years ago

Ron perfected and cleared a MB playfield for me. Absolutely beautiful work. Great guy too!

#21 6 years ago

The PAGG show is mid May, Ron. You should try to make it, it's getting better every year. I think the reason there are so many Spirit's around here is that I help keep them running sometimes. JK. Good luck with your Spirit hunt. I have a waiting list for people looking for Spirit's when I run across them. They go away fast (so buyers need to move quick) and they're near impossible to find for sale anywhere now (even in Europe).

Quoted from kruzman:

So is pin a go go the ca show that is in the fall? If that pic of all of those spirits is indicative of the selection and quantity of rare games, I gots to go!!!!!
Here is an idea for you spirit owners out there. I am trying to get randy to sell me his core pf, or if someone has an extra, then what I can do is what I am doing with the IJ project. I will sell you the restored pf so you can do a swap (much easier than sending out, waiting, and trying to put it back together) and we agree on a price or range that you will sell me your old pf for, and that you will do the job within 6 months.
I don't know of one spirit in the Midwest. Dayhuff had one, but it is gone, and I am not sure where it went, but mark my word, I will own one!!!!
So I am on the hunt for a used spirit pf core. I have other pf's for trade some very rare. I haven't accepted any new restorations since johns Herc, which is about 8 months I think, but I would do a restoration as part of a spirit pf deal. So there's my offer!!!!

#22 6 years ago

Ok mr blown fuse, I will send you an email with my info. What I have started is an envelope, where I put a little from every job (and I stay out of it) to go for a spirit. I am sure that they sell as fast as the word can go out. I still cant believe that todd up north got one last year on CL for 400! Kills me.
Great question on what other pf's could I be bribed with. I will think about it. Usually most nos pf's that have not been repro'ed get me interested. Send me an email in a while, and we will keep in touch. Because of the heat, I cant spry or sand/buff, so I am getting a lot of work done on the next IJ. Its lookin good!
I like to bump this post, because there are a lot of newbies who have never heard of this game. It is defiantly special.

Last year I was at expo, all bummed out because on sat. there were only 69 games working, and it just sucked. Someone told me that there were hundreds, hundreds!!!!!! of games at the PAGG. Lots of em's that I never seen. So I will do my best to make it this year. It is just a matter of money.
cheers, ron k

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
€ 8.40
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 64.00
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
€ 279.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside