(Topic ID: 304434)

ROM sizes and types for Hyperball (Williams system 7)

By Zigzagzag

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Zigzagzag
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

Hyperball is 3x2532 roms. I don't think it's easy to modify the system 7 board to use 2732's in all 3 positions though, it's actually what spurred me to acquire the 2532 eproms (and build an accompanying adapter for the tl866) as I needed to burn this for a project that needed the largest romspace available on system 7.

That's not to say it couldn't be done (you certainly could jumper for 3x2532 and put adapters on the eproms themselves to use 2732's) - but the factory jumpers don't have the 2732x3 config.

#7 2 years ago

That's (and others from that site) are on my list of things to get and try. My stock of 2532/2732 are dwindling ... I guess I can't expect 40 year old eproms to be able to erase and reburn continuously, after all. Time to get adapters to go into my 30 year old 128 and 256 chips.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

UV erasing sucks. W27C512 is my favorite DIP28. They made a 2Mbit W27C020 one a well... too bad no 8M DIP32 EEPROM is common.

Yeah, no kidding. And I have the BK precision one that does like 40 at a time. Since going to the 512 eeprom I've been using those exclusively even when I'm putting it in a 128 or 256.... after I'm through hacking around I might burn it onto the eprom to get the 512 back. I have had a couple of the 512's go bad but when I say reuse.... I mean 100's of times. For flight 2000 I know I burned at least 1000 versions tweaking it, so those 512's got a real workout.

I would love adapter boards that fit into the original mpu's (system 11/9) that replace the 2 eproms with 1 512.... I played around with this a little bit but because my hardware skills suck, it didn't work. Should have been pretty straightforward I'd thought, using the existing chip enables on u26/27 into a gate to select the 512 on the adapter board, but nope.... no go.

Ditto with a system 7 kahout board, obviously something I'm missing. Only thing I've been able to do is hack the siegecraft system 6 adapter to work on bally/stern boards but your replacement mpu eliminated me requiring that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rom-sizes-and-types-for-hyperball-williams-system-7?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.