Rom Check sum, flipper buttons

By Thunderpants

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi. i have 2 questions to the all knowing community, please:
How do you change standard williams plastic flipper buttons with out damaging them. they seem to screw into the cabinet but since they are made of plastic, using a tool on them will surely damage them?

secondly: my FT come out with a U6 check sum error occasionally. i'm wondering if it is in fact a corrupt ROM or a symptom of something else?
Thanks (again and again)

#2 11 years ago

Flipper buttons unscrew from the inside of the cabinet. There's nothing to do with the plastic.

The u6 error could be the rom or could be something else. Start by replacing the rom since its so cheap then see. Johnwartjr on pinside sells them.

#3 11 years ago

Hi markmon, thanks for your reply.
i swear that the flipper buttons are screwed so tight that i need to use a pair of pliers which will ruin the plastic.
about the ROM it's only 2 years old, that's why i suspect something is up.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Thunderpants:

Hi markmon, thanks for your reply.
i swear that the flipper buttons are screwed so tight that i need to use a pair of pliers which will ruin the plastic.
about the ROM it's only 2 years old, that's why i suspect something is up.

It's not only two years old. Those chips are not made anymore nor have they been for years. The roms are cheap to exchange so start there and see. If that doesn't solve it you may have a rom socket problem or other board issue.

The nut can be tight but turning it is the only way. I've never damaged a flipper button removing that nut.

#5 11 years ago

There is a special plastic tool to take the buttons off but a large enough socket will work. Honestly, they're tight but not tight enough so I use needle nose pliers to remove the nut on the button. It's very easy and you can usually clean the up enough to not needing to replace unless they're damaged.

On a side note, almost every new button I get nowadays needs some filing to the inside as they all have some sort of hang up. Anyone else notice this?

#6 11 years ago

I use a pair of needle nosed pliers to turn the nuts that hold the flipper buttons in. This works pretty well.

Just grab in a corner, and twist carefully.

I can program a ROM for you if needed.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The nut can be tight but turning it is the only way. I've never damaged a flipper button removing that nut.

eureka! its the nut that needs to be unscrewed thanks

Quoted from johnwartjr:

I can program a ROM for you if needed.

Thanks so much, but i have to order lots of other stuff from USA and europe, so ill just order one along with that stuff, actually for a start i could try the old rom i have lying around somewhere.

Thanks again all, really nice of you to take time to help out!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rom-check-sum-flipper-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.