(Topic ID: 7260)

ROM burners - anyone got recommendations?

By DrAzzy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03188 (resized).JPG
    2017-12-29_20h14_22 (resized).png
    2017-12-29_19h45_20 (resized).png
    20170808_171352 (resized).jpg
    LM380N.jpg
    20171228_204827 (resized).jpg
    20171228_204914 (resized).jpg
    DualPowerWillemAT29C256 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).png
    2764 (1) (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    ROM_burner.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 7 years ago

Looking even for a webpage with a matrix on it--showing compatible pinball games & EPROMs.
    Anyone have a list of EPROMs (burnable in the GQ-4X) compatible with:

(Stern Whitestar)
    Lord of the Rings
    Ripley's Believe it or Not!

(WPC Fliptronics)
    BSD

(Data East)
    Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle

There's a matrix linked from here, but there are a zillion choices and I don't know how to match pinball machine (MPU) to compatible EPROM.

How do I go about finding a match (for compatibility's sake) for those games? I assume part numbers from Stern/D.E./Williams don't match current part numbers.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

GQ-4X will support all of those games

What if I don't want to erase the EPROMs currently on the boards, and just want to burn new EPROMs?

Where do you get them, and how do I figure out the part numbers for those? I assume the part numbers may not match what is in the manual for each game (given that they're all older games).

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Download the firmware's image file from your favorite pinball site.
    Look at the size of the firmware file.
    Get a chip that holds the data that matches the size of the firmware file.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM

Thanks. There's a matrix of types on that page. Apparently the chip size should be 8 x the size of the rom image file.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Here is the chart Coyote is talking about.

For old EPROMs, you have to pretty much use a 2nd source or gray market product. China makes clones of the smaller EPROMs that no main manufacturer is still producing. They work fine for the most part.
    Another tip.... You can sub larger EPROMs for a smaller one when the pin out matches. Take a 2764 (64Kb) and a 27128 (128Kb). They both are in the same 28 pin package. Yet the 27128 has an extra address line at P26 that is not connected in 2764. That means you can fill up a 27128 with two copies of a 2764 image and use that in its place. So if you don't want to stock 2764, you don't have too. Same goes for 2732 vs 2716 and other larger eproms. A lot of times a 2732 is the same price as 2716, so you dont have to buy both.

Example of new manufactured Chinese clones. I like to use them (pre erased, clean straight legs, typically work fine, cheap).
    ebay.com link » 50pcs M2732a 2f1 M2732a Eproms St

Thank you. Just the type of info I was looking for.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rom-burners-anyone-got-recommendations?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.