(Topic ID: 7260)

ROM burners - anyone got recommendations?

By DrAzzy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03188 (resized).JPG
    2017-12-29_20h14_22 (resized).png
    2017-12-29_19h45_20 (resized).png
    20170808_171352 (resized).jpg
    LM380N.jpg
    20171228_204827 (resized).jpg
    20171228_204914 (resized).jpg
    DualPowerWillemAT29C256 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).png
    2764 (1) (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    ROM_burner.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyGBev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 8 years ago

I got the GQ-4X to program some custom 2732s for the Bally -35 MPU. Also used an external 9VDC 300 mA power adapter. About half the time I started the application it would not be able to connect to the burner, so it would go into "demo mode". When it did connect, it would often stop in the middle of burning a chip. This behavior was consistent whether or not I used the power adapter.

I sent the unit back to MCUMall for a replacement, and to my surprise I got a call from one of their techs. He said it works fine and asked if I wanted a refund. I said I'll take it back if you'll walk me through the app and driver installation. When I got it back he helped me install it and it appeared to work fine, no more connection problems, but I was thinking, "This is exactly how I set it up before, why does it work now?"

Sure enough, when I went to use it a couple of months later, it had the flaky connection problem again. I was about to give up and buy something more expensive, but then I tried running it through a powered USB hub. Happy to say it works reliably through the hub, no connection or burning problems. I used a Belkin F4U058TT USB 3.0 hub from Best Buy, but probably any powered hub would work.

My particular unit may have a weak/flaky USB interface, and the tech who tested it at MCUMall may have been using a powered hub, I dunno.

Michael Beverly

1 year later
    #112 6 years ago

My GQ-4X doesn't work reliably with Windows 7. The software often can't tell the programmer's connected, or it disconnects during a session. I've tried it on three different PCs, and different ports, and used the external power supply. Finally I returned it and the MCU Mall tech said it works fine, just needs an updated driver. I tried that and of course it worked when I had the guy on the phone, then returned to being flaky. Running it through a powered USB 3.0 hub seems to improve it a bit.

I was about to write it off as cheap junk and get something else. But then I tried it with a new Windows 10 laptop and so far it's been dead reliable with that.
    YMMV.

Michael

#114 6 years ago

Yeah I think mine's just defective in some way. I should have demanded a replacement from MCUMall instead of letting them return mine with the assurance it was a "driver issue". But as long as it works well with Win10 I'm okay with it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyGBev.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rom-burners-anyone-got-recommendations?tu=RoyGBev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.