(Topic ID: 7260)

ROM burners - anyone got recommendations?

By DrAzzy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03188 (resized).JPG
    2017-12-29_20h14_22 (resized).png
    2017-12-29_19h45_20 (resized).png
    20170808_171352 (resized).jpg
    LM380N.jpg
    20171228_204827 (resized).jpg
    20171228_204914 (resized).jpg
    DualPowerWillemAT29C256 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).png
    2764 (1) (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    ROM_burner.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlonzoMoselyFBI.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

China doesn't "make" newly manufactured clones. They remove old EPROMs from waste boards, make them look pretty and resell them as new. For now it seems most work but as supplies dwindle....
    In most cases you can mix and match revisions and manufacturers. Exceptions to this are the really old EPROMs that require multiple voltages. You can often move up in size easy enough but you need to look at the extended address pin of the larger device. Does it get tied to ground/+5V? Unconnected & floating? Usually they are tied off to ground or +5V.
    For example -- a 27C64 doesn't use pin 26. A 27C128 uses pin 26 as the high order address pin. If the destination board has this tied to ground then you simply copy the smaller EPROM into the larger EPROM. If the destination board has this tied to +5V then you double the image or program the smaller EPROM into the larger EPROM's high order of memory.
    You can still buy OTP type memories from places like Mouser but smallest is 32K x 8. Search for AT27C256R-70PU.
    These are much cheaper than regular EPROMs (just over a buck apiece) but are not eraseable. If you need to update or screw up programming - you simply toss it in the trash and grab another.

So if I ordered a few of those OTPs you mention from Mouser (32K x 8), I should be able to replace the U49 sound EPROM (16K xfrom Space Shuttle by programming it twice over with the U49 ROM image?

2 weeks later
    #132 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Fortunately, U49 is pinned such that a 32K x 8 (27256) or 64K x 8 (27512) part will work.
    For U49 and replacing a 27128 (16Kx8 size part) -- the extra address line (A14) for the PROM would be pin 27. This pin is tied high (to +5) so only the upper half of the PROM is usable. You can either double the image or just program the data to the upper half of the PROM.

Done and done. I got myself the GQ-4X4 and the Atmel one-time PROM you recommended from Mouser. I wasn't positive I understood what I was doing, but I wrote out the ROM times 2 and BAM - it friggin works. Thanks a lot for the knowledge.

PS - Glad to see Great Plains is back taking orders!

Paul

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlonzoMoselyFBI.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rom-burners-anyone-got-recommendations?tu=AlonzoMoselyFBI and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.