9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by isJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have a Williams System 6 pin and I notice that sometimes when the ball goes over a rollover switch it will sometimes register multiple times, at worst sometimes adding three "hits" (easily noticed when the bonus counter rapidly lights up). It doesn't occur on all the rollovers and on the ones it does happen on it doesn't happen all the time. I tried gapping the switches very far and then very close but no dice either way. I also tried burnishing the contacts with a burnisher that's safe on gold contacts but still seems about the same.

My guess is that the switch is bouncing open and closed ever so slightly to register multiple hits on a single rollover of the ball (it seems to occur more often when the ball is fast). If so I'm guessing the switches are just fatigued and need to be replaced. I'm guessing that adjusting them several times didn't help with the fatigue either. Have any of you ran into this before and found any good solutions? Thanks!

2 weeks later
    #2 9 years ago

After a bit of searching around for some ideas I ran across swampfire's awesome little guide to upgrade early SS rollover leaf switches to microswitches. Guide is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-upgrading-early-ss-rollover-switches-to-microswitches

I should note that I had to align the diode to the column line wires as the switch didn't register when facing the row line wire (My game was a System 6 as opposed to 7 so maybe that's why?). Another thing I should note is that some of the microswitches' rollover wires are bent a bit differently/aren't consistent. I actually had to adjust some of them a bit to make them work without getting the ball stuck and/or not register hits. After a bit of finessing however these microswitches work fantastic!

#3 9 years ago

Wanted to thank you for posting an update. Folks like me that need help find it satisfying when there is a result posted in a troubleshooting thread (because I have no idea what the f I'm doing most of the time).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollover-switch-registering-multiple-times and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.