image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
CoinDoor_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 8 years ago

This is fucking awesome. As soon I see another picture I go nuts. What the hell are serious money making cie thinking not making this a reality ? Toys, playfield and cabinet artwork can't be any better.

Great work markmon.........respect

#102 8 years ago

This thread is awesome. Great job, man.

#104 8 years ago

That new translite is sick looking!

#105 8 years ago

I agree with everyone. This is freaking awesome! Super cool to see a retheme on a modern game then a 70s $250 game. Takes big cohonahs. This blows away anything Stern could create. They'll be hiring you when they do build a Maiden or steal your ideas. Big ups man. Can't wait to see the final product.

#106 8 years ago

So I think I finally have my first rev of the rom done. I think all the stones images and animations are replaced, all the stones specific text is resplaced and the callouts and sound fx are all replaced.

The callouts and sounds were the most time consuming. I used some calls from Metallica and acdc and ended up recording 100 or so callouts myself. The stock British guy just sounds so old and the things he said belong in the 60's. I'm no voice actor but everything that old British guy says has to be removed. Cutting specific iron maiden guitar riffs and up pitching them to replace the stones versions took a while. And then we are limited by the time limits set by the previous tracks.

Other than some cabinet work, this game is mostly done now. I'll try to get a camera mounted and record some game play footage.

#107 8 years ago

So you did this whole thing in what, two weeks?! Fking brilliant work!

#108 8 years ago

I have gameplay video up now. I mounted my iphone on a 3 foot level on a chair. When the sub and shaker go off, the video gets wavy. It's neat. Had a decent ball 1 at least in the video so it shows a few of the game features off. Unfortunately, the colors are *way* off but oh well you can still see and hear the gameplay.

#109 8 years ago

I see the prices on TRS skyrocketing tomorrow....

Incredible work!

#110 8 years ago

I know you said no kits, but these are out there...

http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=5432955

They may have another blow-out sale or discount like yesterday. I am just saying. BUMP for Iron Maiden!

Brad

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I know you said no kits, but these are out there...
http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=5432955
They may have another blow-out sale or discount like yesterday. I am just saying. BUMP for Iron Maiden!
Brad

I never said no kits. But there's definitely no way this is getting licensed.

Interesting that those are so cheap. But for a kit you wouldn't need a whole playfield for this project. It's an overlay that gets installed on the lower half of the playfield. You have to remove the inlanes, slings, flippers and everything on the lower playfield to install the overlay. The process takes about two hours. My overlay is printed on large format glossy photo paper then mylared over and then stuck down with scotch permanent tape (which can come off if you really try and want it removed). Once installed, the screws that go through it holds in place. But the tape is used along the edges, around the sling and flipper holes etc to keep the ball moving and not to take any energy away from the ball.

#112 8 years ago

That is awesome. Whoever is going to produce a Maiden machine needs to get you on the payroll.

#113 8 years ago

Very nice work!

#114 8 years ago

Awesome. Loved seeing the death save happen on an Iron Maiden pin...

#115 8 years ago

Very cool. Nice work for sure!!!!

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Hey Chris. Do you mean the one that looks like fake stage lights pointing down? Or the backboards the live concert? Any ideas what you'd put there instead? Did you mean maybe the actual words "Iron Maiden"? (The one I have came by luck with the trooper figure in the package and I almost threw it away).

The fake stage lighting. With the LEDs behind it it would really light up nicely. It looked like you made your own plastics so you could photoshop something and really make it pop with the lighting behind it.

Some would say that it might not be needed with the verbiage on the backglass but it may look better than that crappy plastic they put in.

#117 8 years ago

Nicely done. The original game is just so blah to look at and what you've done is a huge improvement.

Now just have to set it to 10* and juice the flippers so it has the proper tempo.

#118 8 years ago

Brilliant work! Just keeps getting better and better.

I've often thought it would be cool to steal the "Multiball Madness" animation from MM for a multiball start in an Iron Maiden pin. It would go something like..

Can I play with <insert "Multiball Madness!!> then fire off Can I Play with Madness song to start the multiball. Fun stuff.

#119 8 years ago

Just watched the video and it looks fantastic. Love what you have done here Mark.

I love that the sub is so heavy in the video that it makes the camera shake.

Its amazing how iconic some of the MET call outs are that you notice them right away. No hating on it. They are great and they work in the machine.

Really amazing work here.

#120 8 years ago

Also the Maiden Logo you have in the machine actually looks really nice.

I like it.

chris

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So I got this Rolling Stones in trade as the game is pretty fun to shoot. The ramps flow like Steve Ritchie ramps, can be backhanded, very wide, game is decent to flip. But the artwork, theme, and music is just horrible. The implementation of the toys is terrible with just flat plastics.

So I decided this is a good candidate to convert to something else. And because there is so much artwork available for it as well as awesome action figures, I went with iron maiden

Nice work!

#122 8 years ago

This is really well done. From the video it looks like an official Stern release. It looks better than AMH, GoT, and a bunch of other current stuff imho. Great job.

#123 8 years ago

Jon St. John (the voice of Duke Nukem) has his own home studio.

It would be great to buy 4 hours of his time and to have him do the call outs

He has probably done 50 video games, so he is a pro.

1267px-Jon_St._John_of_Duke_Nukem_licks_a_fan_(resized).jpg1267px-Jon_St._John_of_Duke_Nukem_licks_a_fan_(resized).jpg

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

John St. John (the voice of Duke Nukem) has his own home studio.
1267px-Jon_St._John_of_Duke_Nukem_licks_a_fan_(resized).jpg

I wonder what a guy like that charges it how to get ahold of him. The stolen callouts is one of the reasons aside from not being licensed by maiden that this can't be legally sold.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I wonder what a guy like that charges it how to get ahold of him. The stolen callouts is one of the reasons aside from not being licensed by maiden that this can't be legally sold.

His email is: jon4now at gmail dott com

#126 8 years ago

Even his **non-duke** voices are great:

http://www.jon4voice.com/linked/jsj_charcaters.mp4

#127 8 years ago

I am just a casual fan of the band (but I do appreciate their musicianship--every member of the band is really good at what they do). However, this looks very cool and I'd seriously consider buying one if the gameplay and callouts match the look. No way Stern comes up with anything this spiffy--unless they copy yours.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I wonder what a guy like that charges

The trick to the least expensive recording session is probably:

1. Get your script ready of all the callouts, so the moment he asks for it, you can send it. Put voice direction in brackets [angry] [surprised] [over the top excitement] [demonic]..... Make sure the callouts are all numbered so if you need a re-take, he can quickly find them.

2. Have a few of the old callouts ready as small .mp3 files if there is a certain tone needed that would be difficult to convey in brackets on the script.

3. Stress the non-commercial, fanboi nature of the project.

4. Stress your love for Jon's work.

#129 8 years ago

This is awesome! Congrats on the amazing work.

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Jon St. John (the voice of Duke Nukem) has his own home studio.

that dude would make any pin better, surprised Stern doesn't seek out people like this. Talented people that would be cheap, but do a great job.

#131 8 years ago

Just found this thread. Amazing work. I'm in awe of your talent(s).

#132 8 years ago

Whipped up some instruction cards for the project. Had to actually type in the rules from scratch. Took a long time.

instructioncards_(resized).jpginstructioncards_(resized).jpg

#133 8 years ago

Awesome job. Hopefully stern gets the hint we need Maiden on a pinball... and soon otherwise I can see many stones being rolled into re-themed Maidens Pins

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Whipped up some instruction cards for the project. Had to actually type in the rules from scratch. Took a long time.

You had me until I seen tears of a clown on the track list.

#135 8 years ago

Needs Powerslave and Stranger in a Strange Land.

#136 8 years ago

Song track choices were heavily dictated by the songs they were replacing and how they could cleanly lead in and out as there is only 90-120 secs per song allowed. Long intros were cut and songs that had them that were used had to have a clean way to remove them and sound natural.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

You had me until I seen tears of a clown on the track list.

It's an awesome song! The song list is quite good... Personally I would choose less hit songs.... no need to hear "run to the hills" or "number of the beast" ...again, and again, and again....

#138 8 years ago

track listings is missing 2 major songs: IRON MAIDEN (obvious oversight) and RUNNING FREE

I hope stern keeps it to the self titled/killers/#/peace/powerslave stuff - back when it was simple , hard, crunch and mean.... after those it got to where you had to try to figure out what they were thinking and like they were playing dungeons and dragons etc etc..

#139 8 years ago

Great job with this retheme! What's the chances of bringing it to PAGG in May?

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

It's an awesome song! The song list is quite good... Personally I would choose less hit songs.... no need to hear "run to the hills" or "number of the beast" ...again, and again, and again....

I remember when my friends and I heard "Run to the Hills" for the first time. I think we played that song "666" times in one night . Sometimes there is a need to hear a song again, and again, and again .

Maybe I really should find a Metallica and convert it to Megadeth .

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Great job with this retheme! What's the chances of bringing it to PAGG in May?

Absolutely zero. i provide pinball machines for the pinball bulbs booths at shows. I guess pinball bulbs was not allowed to purchase a booth at PAGG due to something with nifty led. So we will never go to PAGG and instead support CAX. It will be at CAX this year.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

track listings is missing 2 major songs: IRON MAIDEN (obvious oversight) and RUNNING FREE

Not an oversite. Paul Diano isn't in the band anymore and hasn't been for about 20 years so. So I purposely left his stuff out.

It doesn't matter what songs I chose, people would always want others. So I picked the songs I wanted. I wouldn't call these "the hits" as there are several on there that aren't hits. It just so happens that run to the hills, for example, had a really clean break from its intro section into its main song section that was really easy to cut in cool edit so I used it. It's one of my least favorite songs so it's used in a place where it doesn't play often. Number of the beast is one of my all time favorite songs. It plays immediately first start of the game.

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Maybe I really should find a Metallica and convert it to Megadeth .

Playing "The Mechanix" and "Conjuring"!!!!

#144 8 years ago

Where is the "2 minutes to midnight MULTIBALLLLLL"?

Props to you. Job well done!

#145 8 years ago

Following this, excellent work markmon !

#146 8 years ago

Better grab your RS on the Cheap NOW!! If kits are being done I see a rush on em!

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Not an oversite. Paul Diano isn't in the band anymore and hasn't been for about 20 years so. So I purposely left his stuff out. .

Good call!

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Not an oversite. Paul Diano isn't in the band anymore and hasn't been for about 20 years so.

Actually it's like 35 years! Time flies when you're having fun....

Number of the Beast is 33 years old this year. I still remember buying it on cassette tape when I was 13 years old ...

rd

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Number of the Beast is 33 years old this year. I still remember buying it on cassette tape when I was 13 years old

I burned through a few cassettes of that title myself. And was a great tour.
P.S. I was little bit older than 13, I think 19 at the time.

#150 8 years ago

WOW....congratulations! 1st time I've checked this post out just to 'read'. You have an amazing talent. Thanks for sharing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rolling-stones-to-iron-maiden-project/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.