image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
CoinDoor_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg
I mentioned this a little in the pinball browser thread and had a few PMs on it so decided I'd start a log on this project.

So I got this Rolling Stones in trade as the game is pretty fun to shoot. The ramps flow like Steve Ritchie ramps, can be backhanded, very wide, game is decent to flip. But the artwork, theme, and music is just horrible. The implementation of the toys is terrible with just flat plastics.

So I decided this is a good candidate to convert to something else. And because there is so much artwork available for it as well as awesome action figures, I went with iron maiden.

I'm just getting started. My plans are to do a front playfield overlay, cabinet decals, replace all the toys, a translite, and then do the rest in pinball browser.

For the sound, as of right now I have replaced the 18 songs in pinball browser with iron maiden tracks. But many the sounds and callouts will need to be rerecorded. There are several shirt riffs used for sound effects and replacing these with iron maiden short riffs won't be a problem. Many of the calls wi have to be rerecorded and are stones specific.

The playfield has the stones in the lower portion but most the rest is very generic. There are some band members names in the back but they are hard to see. The front of the playfield is the big problem. For this I have created a playfield overlay.

Updated gameplay video with latest code. I got to record multiball at least. (excuse the colors, the gameroom is dark and the camera does not handle this well)

Live gameplay video (excuse the terrible colors my iphone camera blew them up badly)

#2 8 years ago

The overlay is done by taking a playfield scan I made, editing it carefully in Photoshop and then replacing my own artwork. I had it printed at Office Depot on glossy photo paper. Then I mylared it before cutting it out. Cut it out, added doubled sides scotch tape to the back and stuck it down. The posts and screws that go through the lower playfield also keep it in place. It looks like a mylared playfield with a brand new piece of Mylar.

If anyone is interested in the steps to get a playfield overlay done like this, its something like this:
1) Get a flat bed scanner that you can remove the lid
2) Strip the playfield until its flat
3) Scan in several portions using the scanner until you have pieces of the playfield in several images
4) Use photoshop CS automate-->photomerge and it will piece and rotate these all into a single photo for you.
Here is my scanned PF
pfscan_(resized).jpgpfscan_(resized).jpg

5) Now the tricky part is to clear out everything you dont want in the photo and keep only markings of the outside, the screw holes, the slingshot holes, any inserts to cut away, etc. Once you have an outlined empty frame with the area for your art and these holes, you're ready to begin adding your artwork.
Here is my mask with my iron maiden album row added:
pfmask_(resized).jpgpfmask_(resized).jpg

6) The next trick is finding or creating high resolution enough artwork to look good. Most web images even desktop backgrounds are way too low resolution. But actually creating the artwork is another matter. In any event, you paste it into another layer by selecting the free area inside the image you cleared out above, then using the paste into function. Then size it and move it around etc. It's good to have black line or such between your overlay and the actual playfield because no matter how hard you try, you won't get a perfect color match so something that transitions it will trick the eye into missing the match.
Here is my completed overlay with the cutouts marked
pfcomplete_(resized).jpgpfcomplete_(resized).jpg

The inserts are rock generic enough to keep so I used a circular tool and xacto knife and carefully cut those out before applying the Mylar. It turned out great.

#3 8 years ago

The game toys I am working with action figures. I have a few on order. The two that have showed up have replaced so far, the "mick on a stick" and the huge red lips on the back. I plan to put mezel mod speakers for metallica in the back to replace the speaker plastics and another eddie action figure where the band members are at. Here is what I have so far for those two mounted toys. The mick on a stick eddie will be screwed in a little better than it is now.

Ignore the poor color blending on the overlay in the above image, that was an older photo with a really faded print that was removed.

I am also working on some plastics. This is what I've got so far.

#4 8 years ago

I just finished up some apron decals printed on glossy sticker paper and will apply them to the apron tomorrow. (They arent so blurry on the real print, this is a low res screen capture)

apron_(resized).jpgapron_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

Wow!!! Looking good! Def. Sounds like a fun project!

#6 8 years ago

Great work can't wait to see when finished.

#7 8 years ago

Shitty band to one of all-time greatest!

#8 8 years ago

Nice work up to this point

#10 8 years ago

Great stuff

Up the Irons

#11 8 years ago

Awesome, I will be following this thread.

#12 8 years ago

Here is a picture with the apron decals installed.

#13 8 years ago

I always thought this would be a good retheme for Stern to make into Iron Maiden. IMO finding a big robot Eddie head in place of the lips would be awesome.

#14 8 years ago

Whats on the tune agenda?? Some Dianno please.............

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Whats on the tune agenda?? Some Dianno please.............

Well there are 18 songs you can choose. I went with a full Dickinson line up spanning number of the beast through current.

#16 8 years ago

Good work Mark, looks good so far!

rd

#17 8 years ago

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! please show us some gameplay video when its complete.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! please show us some gameplay video when its complete.

Sure thing. Will probably bring to CAX this year also.

#19 8 years ago

I sure hope to hell Stern doesn't go through with Aerosmith and comes to their senses and makes an official! You good sir are doing God's work making this machine! I used to have Dave Murray's contact info, wish I still had it, I would have passed this along to him!

#20 8 years ago

I have plastics installed on the front now.

#21 8 years ago

Very nice. Maiden has so much artwork to choose from. Curious to see the song list you chose.

#22 8 years ago

Man that looks totally professional. Looks like it came out of the factory like this.

#23 8 years ago

You know whats gonna happen now that you've made this right? Stern is going to announce iron maiden, lol.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

You know whats gonna happen now that you've made this right? Stern is going to announce iron maiden, lol.

That's fine. If their game is good I'll probably own both. If sterns game doesn't look good then I'll pass and keep this instead. I think stern pushed maiden to next year and is doing Aerosmith this year.

#25 8 years ago

Nice work! looks great

#26 8 years ago

Here is my proposed translite. Going to print tomorrow and test. The colors are intentionally extra dark and overly saturated because it will be backlit which will lighten it and wash it out a bit. I ordered a vinyl copy of the album to get large enough artwork to scan for this.

translite_(resized).jpgtranslite_(resized).jpg

#27 8 years ago

Mark, just freaking amazing work. When I played this pin at Allentown I thought the same thing. You nailed it!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have plastics installed on the front now.

image_(resized).jpeg

I brought over the cut plastics and we installed these and man it looks so much better in person. That pic looks kinda doo doo blown up compared to the in person look. Looked good on the phone

I'll bring the rebel over and make sure we get awesome final pics as well

#29 8 years ago

Really loved everything so far and thought it looked perfect, but seems to me like the translite isn't up to par with the rest...
First, I wouldn't write "pinball" - you never see that on real machines.
Then maybe I'd try to have an image where Eddie takes up a little less space so you can write Iron Maiden bigger and centered.

My constructive opinion, everything else is A-1 IMO.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Really loved everything so far and thought it looked perfect, but seems to me like the translite isn't up to par with the rest...
Then maybe I'd try to have an image where Eddie takes up a little less space so you can write Iron Maiden bigger and centered.

I also agree with removing the word pinball. Disagree though and big Eddie should stay. Fits the rest of how the art works imo

#31 8 years ago

Well I'm not saying to leave Eddie out, but just a tad smaller to have a bigger centered Iron Maiden.

maiden_(resized).jpgmaiden_(resized).jpg

#32 8 years ago

Or this if you could turn the background to a more blue-purple.

arealliveone_2_Iron_Maiden_Album_Artwork_by_Derek_Riggs_(resized).jpgarealliveone_2_Iron_Maiden_Album_Artwork_by_Derek_Riggs_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Good feedback. I'll remove pinball. I have another translite image where iron maiden is centered and large but it causes half the ground to be cropped away. I'll post that also.
Remember I can't use any image I find off the internet. It has to be super high resolution to look good blown up to 26x19. I am using this one because the source is the album cover from the vinyl album which is like a 14x14 scan at 600 dpi.

#34 8 years ago

You can also have the Iron Maiden be over Eddie or Eddie over the Iron Maiden.

Here are some examples of that, plus the mummy one, you could write Iron Maiden over its hands or something... I understand your choice of what you can use is limited too because of resolution...

Ok enough chiming in, I'm sitting back and watching the progress!
Keep on truckin'!

images_(1)_(resized).jpgimages_(1)_(resized).jpg

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

32-Iron-Maiden-Number-of-the-Beast_(resized).jpg32-Iron-Maiden-Number-of-the-Beast_(resized).jpg

iron-maiden-trooper_(resized).jpgiron-maiden-trooper_(resized).jpg

#35 8 years ago

One of my all time favorite bands.
This will be fun to watch you work your magic

#36 8 years ago

ok based on the feedback, I have come up with these two translites. Again remember colors are intentionally overly dark and saturated

translite4_(resized).jpgtranslite4_(resized).jpg

transliteu_(resized).jpgtransliteu_(resized).jpg

#37 8 years ago

I prefer the translite without the "unofficial" stamp on it. The stamp seems like an afterthought and not pure.

#38 8 years ago

I like the original with the smaller font.

#39 8 years ago

I like the big font no unofficial one

#40 8 years ago

Looks sweet. Love me some maiden.

#41 8 years ago

I'll hate to see what Stern does if they make one compared to this. Don't think they would come close.

#42 8 years ago

Looks great! I like the second revision with the larger centered Iron Maiden, no unofficial. Amazing how original it looks. That "Trooper" one would look killer too. So much art to choose from you could change the translight every month and have several years of different looks. Are you taking notes Stern?

#43 8 years ago

That's the Live After Death laserdisc cover too. If you need a high quality picture of that I can help. I have cd covers I can take good shots of but I don't know how far you can blow them up. Even in RAW format they may be unusable for the translite but might make good inserts on the playfield.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9nj6fro1cd99il/AADTwdAipBbaE6eGKM32N6a6a?dl=0

Nicko did some tracks called Listen with Nicko that you could probably use for some call outs. I have them, let me know if you want to collaborate on that.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's the Live After Death laserdisc cover too. If you need a high quality picture of that I can help. I have cd covers I can take good shots of but I don't know how far you can blow them up. Even in RAW format they may be unusable for the translite but might make good inserts on the playfield.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9nj6fro1cd99il/AADTwdAipBbaE6eGKM32N6a6a?dl=0
Nikko did some tracks called Listen with Nikko that you could probably use for some call outs. I have them, let me know if you want to collaborate on that.

Thank you. I ordered the vinyl which was like 14x14 and did a high DPI scan of that, which allowed the translite blown up to be 300 DPI still. I'd be interested in listening to the listen with Nikko tracks for content. That'd be awesome.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I'll hate to see what Stern does if they make one compared to this. Don't think they would come close.

At least I'll have an alternate translite possibility if Stern decides to go with something like this:

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#47 8 years ago

Seventh son LE with a big Pinball in the middle.

iron-maiden-seventh-son-of-a-seventh-son-album-promo-poster_(resized).jpgiron-maiden-seventh-son-of-a-seventh-son-album-promo-poster_(resized).jpg

#48 8 years ago

Impressive work

#49 8 years ago

I love the translight!

#50 8 years ago

So the first print if the translite looks just terrible. It was so washed out looking then when backlit it was really bad. I tried to make a colorized backboard to help recolorize it but that isn't going to work out either. I guess $6.99 print is worth what you pay.

I am going to order a professional one from a guy that knows what he is doing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rolling-stones-to-iron-maiden-project/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.