Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

#sure-shot

My Sure Shot is working fine except for when scoring 100,000 and over. Basically it doesn't trigger whatever is supposed to be getting triggered to tell the little 100,000 light bulb to turn on. And it isn't just a bad bulb as the other thing tied to that is how on the five-ball setting that mine is on, you win a free game at 90,000 and also at 120,000 points. You do get awarded that free game at 90,000 but nothing happens at 120,000. So I think it is somewhere between the leftmost reel (for the 10,000's digit of the score) and the relays underneath it that I think are supposed to pull in once you achieve the 100,000 points.

Can you give me some ideas on what to check or look for? How to diagnose or move through bit by bit to see what is working and what is not?

#2 1 year ago

If the 100,000 (JX) relay doesn't activate when it should,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

Thanks a lot. That gives me plenty to go on to see if I can figure it out. Much appreciated!

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

I've made some progress here, just not quite to the finish line yet.

The bulb and bulb holder work, that's been ruled out. I can manually flick the JX coil down and the 100,000 light comes on. Then, when starting a new game, the JXR reset coil fires and turns the light off. So that portion of things seems to work. What doesn't seem to work is the signal telling the JX coil to fire.

When I look on the 10,000's digit scoring reel, it looks to me like there are two things that likely tell the game about that roll-over 100,000 score. One is the plate on the end of the scoring reel and the other is a pair of leaf switches kind of underneath the wheel. Everything seems to rotate freely and leaf switch contacts appear to be touching together like they are supposed to, but I'm not really sure.

Any suggestions on what or how to look at and potentially rule out next? Am I on the right path ruling out what I have so far? What tells that JX coil to fire is where I think the problem is.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the circular reference jackass. If I knew how to specifically follow those suggestions I wouldn’t have asked twice.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Thanks for the circular reference jackass. If I knew how to specifically follow those suggestions I wouldn’t have asked twice.

Howard is just trying to get you to learn by digging into the marked schematic that he provided instead of just giving you the answer.

It might seem like a pain now but you’ll learn a lot more about diagnosing problems and reading schematics in the long run.

#8 1 year ago

I would look very closely at the 9th position switch on the ten thousands score reel. It is the one which closes and only is closed when the reel steps to the 9 position. (It opens back up when the reel steps to zero.) That carries the current over to the 100k stuff. Clean it, and gap it properly, even if it looks clean. Make sure it has good wipe when it closes, meaning the two switch blades move when closing which shows good connection.
If in doubt, short the points closed with an alligator clip and then manually hit something on the playfield which scores ten thousand. The 100k should light or score if the switch is shorted closed.

If its not this switch, something else in that circuit is not making contact. Let us know either way. Hope this helps.

#9 1 year ago

I'm sure there are others on here that will be willing to help you, but I don't tolerate that kind of abuse. Best of luck to you, AlexRogan84

#10 1 year ago

I know where the 10,000’s isolation switch is but I’m not telling you since you since disrespected HowardR. Good luck on your repair.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I would look very closely at the 9th position switch on the ten thousands score reel. It is the one which closes and only is closed when the reel steps to the 9 position. (It opens back up when the reel steps to zero.) That carries the current over to the 100k stuff. Clean it, and gap it properly, even if it looks clean. Make sure it has good wipe when it closes, meaning the two switch blades move when closing which shows good connection.
If in doubt, short the points closed with an alligator clip and then manually hit something on the playfield which scores ten thousand. The 100k should light or score if the switch is shorted closed.
If its not this switch, something else in that circuit is not making contact. Let us know either way. Hope this helps.

It's working now, thank you. Your suggestions were helpful. Some combination of taking the scoring reel apart, cleaning all the contact surfaces and reassembling with everything in the correct positions made it go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.