Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Leeb18509
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

After changing some settings on my Rollergames, when I exited the settings the slingshot fired and displayed random segments on the display. Every time I try to turn it on, it does the same thing. I can post a video to YouTube if it helps. The game has NVRAM.

What can I do to get it to boot again?

Thanks

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

After changing some settings on my Rollergames, when I exited the settings the slingshot fired and displayed random segments on the display. Every time I try to turn it on, it does the same thing. I can post a video to YouTube if it helps. The game has NVRAM.
What can I do to get it to boot again?
Thanks

are the slings locking on, or just firing and retracting?

#3 3 years ago

Just firing quickly.

What I am confused about is why? I didn’t unplug and replug in any wires or anything like that, I just changed some settings.

Very frustrating

#4 3 years ago

Should I stop trying to turn it on? Could that make things worse?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Should I stop trying to turn it on? Could that make things worse?

i'd suggest you stop until you make a change that could possibly fix it. what settings did you change? are you sure you didn't touch something else, like maybe on or around the coin door?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i'd suggest you stop until you make a change that could possibly fix it. what settings did you change? are you sure you didn't touch something else, like maybe on or around the coin door?

Only things like extra ball limit and contest mode. I don’t believe I touched anything but the buttons to operate the menu. The issue started once I exited the adjustments. Could I have corrupted the ROM somehow?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Only things like extra ball limit and contest mode. I don’t believe I touched anything but the buttons to operate the menu. The issue started once I exited the adjustments. Could I have corrupted the ROM somehow?

doubtful. if you removed the Rom chip or were futzin' w the CPU, I'd say maybe. sounds like something is maybe shorting. it's a long shot, but are you certain one of the coin door buttons aren't possibly stuck closed?

#8 3 years ago

i think if i were you, i'd re-seat all of the ribbon cables in the head, between the boards, and to the displays. do you know how to do that properly? (sorry, i don't know your level of experience so i have to ask)

#9 3 years ago

ok, i just saw in another thread that you were troubleshooting the flashers and disconnected things all over the place. that's a weeee bit more than just changing the settings my best guess is you didn't properly or solidly reconnect something, most likely a ribbon cable. make sure they are lined up correctly and pressed firmly in place. it's very easy to mis-align ribbon cables by a row.

btw, your flasher problem is intermittent. i know you said in the other thread that none of the solder joints to the relay, input/output or lamps looked bad. but you can't rely on how they look. they sound like they've got a flaky connection. i'd reflow all the solder joints, starting w the relay, then board input/output, then lamps. testing in between each component, as to not do more work than needed.

#10 3 years ago

You probably blew a fuse with the machine gun coils or didn't connect something correctly.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

ok, i just saw in another thread that you were troubleshooting the flashers and disconnected things all over the place. that's a weeee bit more than just changing the settings my best guess is you didn't properly or solidly reconnect something, most likely a ribbon cable. make sure they are lined up correctly and pressed firmly in place. it's very easy to mis-align ribbon cables by a row.
btw, your flasher problem is intermittent. i know you said in the other thread that none of the solder joints to the relay, input/output or lamps looked bad. but you can't rely on how they look. they sound like they've got a flaky connection. i'd reflow all the solder joints, starting w the relay, then board input/output, then lamps. testing in between each component, as to not do more work than needed.

I will go ahead and reseat the connections. The reason I associated it with the adjustments was because everything was working perfectly fine before I made the adjustments. I played probably 7-8 games with no issues, but when I made the adjustments this started happening. I checked and unfortunately none of the buttons were stuck down.

Quoted from donjagra:

You probably blew a fuse with the machine gun coils or didn't connect something correctly.

This is exactly what I assumed, but I haven’t touched any of the connections in the last 10 plays. Also, could one fuse being blown cause the game to not boot? I’ve never heard of that happening, but it could be possible.

#12 3 years ago

To make things easier, I’m going to go ahead and upload a video of the issue. It’s the right lock diverter and the right sling that are firing.

#13 3 years ago

Here’s the link.

Thanks guys.

#14 3 years ago

I tried turning it on to see if reseating the connections in the backbox did anything, and it seemed like a couple of more could fired. One quite loudly. Should I disconnect something to prevent the coils from firing until I can get this fixed? I am trying to see if the diagnostic led tells me anything.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Should I disconnect something to prevent the coils from firing until I can get this fixed? I am trying to see if the diagnostic led tells me anything.

If you want the diagnostic LED readout then disconnect everything except 1J17. That is power for digital logic (as well as +12V and -12V for the analog circuitry).

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Here’s the link.
Thanks guys.

i still think something isn't reconnected properly. that's the behavior you see when you have misaligned a molex or ribbon cable, or possibly even reconnected to the wrong header.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i still think something isn't reconnected properly. that's the behavior you see when you have misaligned a molex or ribbon cable, or possibly even reconnected to the wrong header.

That would be fantastic if that’s all it was. My only question is, how did it play fine before changing some settings?

#18 3 years ago

I have some very interesting news to report. I completely took out the power supply and put it back in. Same problem. I took out both ROM's and put them back in. Same problem. I unplugged and replugged in the connection for the menu buttons and slam switch, and magically, it turned on to "factory settings". I went back and changed most of the same settings, and played a game without any issues. I rebooted about 5 times to make sure everything was good. I then went back into the settings and turned "contest mode" on. After exiting the settings, the issue started happening again. My game is the diamondplated so it has the Proto 2 Roms installed. I took out the ROMs and put them back in. No luck. Did the same thing once or twice again, no luck. Did it once more, and it turned on. Now it is playing fine with no issues. I changed every setting except "contest mode" the way I want it, and it works great. Is it possible that because it is a proto rom, it glitches when contest mode is enabled? This seems like it would be incredibly unlikely, but it seems it could be the case.

I thought it probably was only booing some of the time because of a loose wire somewhere, but what are the chances that it suddenly stops working the second I exit out of the adjustments with "contest mode" on?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Is it possible that because it is a proto rom, it glitches when contest mode is enabled?

Absolutely. Games sometimes have weird issues when defaults are changed, even on released code. Ripley's had an issue where if you set Asia to require more than 30 switch hits, it would reset. And that was on later code. It was fixed, but the bug was introduced when the code was almost done. Proto ROMs should always be considered suspect.

If you think a setting borked your game, unplug it, pull the batteries, wait half an hour, then try again.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Absolutely. Games sometimes have weird issues when defaults are changed, even on released code. Ripley's had an issue where if you set Asia to require more than 30 switch hits, it would reset. And that was on later code. It was fixed, but the bug was introduced when the code was almost done. Proto ROMs should always be considered suspect.
If you think a setting borked your game, unplug it, pull the batteries, wait half an hour, then try again.

Awesome. This gives me hope that it won’t happen again unless I change that setting!

#21 3 years ago

this is a game i owned for years - never had an issue - but i never went in and changed the settings - my guess it's the settings as even after you got it from me it was fine (except flashes) until you changed the settings. thanks ed

#22 3 years ago

Unless you have some vested interest in running old roms, get new ones with the latest code on them. Proto roms are a curiosity at best unless you have some feature that doesn't work (like the drops) with the later roms - and the drops have been added to the later romset.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

this is a game i owned for years - never had an issue - but i never went in and changed the settings - my guess it's the settings as even after you got it from me it was fine (except flashes) until you changed the settings. thanks ed

Yes, definitely not trying to imply you were at fault here. Game is actually a little above how you described it which really is appreciated. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get the flashers to work soon.

Quoted from slochar:

Unless you have some vested interest in running old roms, get new ones with the latest code on them. Proto roms are a curiosity at best unless you have some feature that doesn't work (like the drops) with the later roms - and the drops have been added to the later romset.

So I can just put the newest ROMs in and everything would work fine? I thought maybe because it was a prototype model you couldn’t. That would be great if I can!

#24 3 years ago

So RG was my first pin 10 years ago, mine has the "proto 2" ROMS and I've never changed them. Also never had an issue. I don't know what this could be but I don't think it was a setting thing. Maybe just a coincidence? I love the way mine plays so never updated the ROMS.

Do a factory reset and see what happens.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

So RG was my first pin 10 years ago, mine has the "proto 2" ROMS and I've never changed them. Also never had an issue. I don't know what this could be but I don't think it was a setting thing. Maybe just a coincidence? I love the way mine plays so never updated the ROMS.
Do a factory reset and see what happens.

Awesome to see you’ve had Rollergames for 10 years! Everything seems to be working fine with the ROMs as of this moment. Just curious, have you ever tried turning on contest mode?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Awesome to see you’ve had Rollergames for 10 years! Everything seems to be working fine with the ROMs as of this moment. Just curious, have you ever tried turning on contest mode?

Nope, never.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, IN
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.