(Topic ID: 21368)

Rollergames - Williams question about serial numbers?

By Frax

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Spudgunman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c5f96681.jpg
ae12021a.jpg
689f9189.jpg
81a4befb.jpg
79c611f5.jpg
2b24f933.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So I picked up this Rollergames a few days ago. It's got stickers on the CPU board ROMS that say PROTO 1 on it, and the serial number is 576 360105 - 576 is the game number. The serial number...I'm looking at the IPSD, looks like it's an awfully early production machine. Am I right in reading it as that it's the 105th game to roll off the line?

I haven't found the date of manuf anywhere on it yet..maybe I just don't know where to look....the CPU board is dead, it hasn't been hooked up since I've had it, but it's got "techie tags" on it...a "Ralph Reffner" with very nice handwriting left his home and work number......and tags also say:

U15 Bad 22 Aug 99

and on another tag:

Board Suffered damage when +5 volt reg. failed / Possible that U27 + U26 Bad Also 15 SEP 99

So...the board serial matches the other boards and the cabinet. This game has not been played in almost 13 years.

#2 11 years ago

Manufacture date says 90095...what the heck is that?

Verified that it IS an early production, it has flash lamps on the insert board. Apparently there were 3 revisions to that and only the early ones have the flashers on there.

#3 11 years ago

I don't think it's safe to read the production # like that.

If it has the insert with flashers, I'd guess it's from the first 200 games - but my sample game, which was one of the very first games produced after the prototypes, is S/N I365026. It has other early features like different colored inserts, DP playfield, chrome wireforms, shooter gauge and drop target bank robbed from a Whirlwind, etc.

A page I threw together with some sample differences:

http://myhomegameroom.com/pinball/rollergames_proto/protodiff.htm

I did install the 2nd drop target bank in mine.

#4 11 years ago

Okay. so...pictures incoming judge for yourself.

2b24f933.jpg2b24f933.jpg 79c611f5.jpg79c611f5.jpg 81a4befb.jpg81a4befb.jpg 689f9189.jpg689f9189.jpg ae12021a.jpgae12021a.jpg c5f96681.jpgc5f96681.jpg

So you see....I have a mishmash. It's clearly not a sample, the serial number doesn't indicate it.

#5 11 years ago

All chrome wireforms too. Oh yes, also, my manual is not fancy, it's stapled. It says March 1990 on it, it has 5-Bank Dr Tgt in the switch matrix in the manual, along with a diagram of the drop target assembly as well.. Lamps, switches, solenoid layout charts all reference the drops. Nothing about the standups at all, but there they are on my game!

I was TOTALLY excited to think for a moment there was all those drops in there and I didn't notice it. I've never really played the game before. Talk about a letdown lol.

#6 11 years ago

Yeah, I'd say it's an early production game most definitely. Is it diamondplated?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Yeah, I'd say it's an early production game most definitely. Is it diamondplated?

Yes, but several inserts are popped really badly. I didn't see it when I picked it up...it was 9:30 at night in some guy's garage in the middle of nowhere 30 miles SW of Oklahoma City and it took us like an hour just to agree on a price and break into it after I saw the acid damage on the OTHER game I picked up at the same time. If it wasn't for the condition of the cabinets and what I THOUGHT I saw of the playfields, I would've talked him down lower than I did.

Rollergames may have to end up a keeper if I invest in getting the playfield re-cleared. I have to learn how to fix these inserts first...never seen them popped so bad... there's like 5 or 6 really bad ones.

#8 11 years ago

I think you've got a keeper there, personally. Not one of my Top 10 games (and probably not in Top 20, either), but very memorable and distinctive, and if I had one, I wouldn't be quick to ditch it. I hope you're able to get it up and running smoothly!

#9 11 years ago

Looking at that picture of the drop targets, those look like some odd replacement, not standard-issue.

#10 11 years ago

What, on John's sample game? I agree that the sticker art for the proto SKATE targets doesn't really fit the overall art theme very well....primarily that blue background throws it off for me..

#11 11 years ago

They aren't replacements, they are OEM WMS parts.

They are the correct size.

1 year later
#12 10 years ago

Where can I get some of those drop decals? Or can I get a hires

#13 10 years ago

A seller on eBay has them. I had a link here but Pinside keeps eating it Auction title is "ROLLER GAMES Pinball Machine Target Decals LICENSED"

They're good quality, I've got them on my game.

#14 10 years ago

thanks for the info to that one.. was looking for the harder to find skate drop targets..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-williams-question-about-serial-numbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.