51%
  • High Speed 26 votes
    49%

(53 votes)

#1 10 months ago

RG vs HS

Which is better and why?

#2 10 months ago

HS is an all time, of all time classics.
Rollergames is a good cheesy game but it's not even close.

Add a poll.

#3 10 months ago

Poll added.

Any specific reasons why you like one over the other....

Mostly interested in game-play, depth, features, and challenge.

Theme and audio, not so much. HS wins on those.

#4 10 months ago

I would rather have a RG, but I owned High Speed for 2 years. I like Rollergames. A real classic (not saying HS isn't). I feel it has more in-depth rules too.

#5 10 months ago

Simple, straight-forward rules with the awesome siren 'n' beacon that tells EVERYONE you're close to multi-ball. Potential multi-ball and jackpot excitement! Love HS.

#6 10 months ago

Both awesome games, but in all honesty Rollergames offers a little bit more to the player. Nobody can take away HS status in pinball history but it isn't the better game here.

#7 10 months ago

I like high speed more better theme and I prefer the rules on it more.

#8 10 months ago

You cant beat that RG soundtrack!

#9 10 months ago

They both are kind of similar in layout, and really the most important shot in both is the left orbit ramp combo.

I like both of those games but I’d give a slight nod to high speed. Just a little better in most aspects.

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I was going to say the same about HS, lol

#11 10 months ago

Relatively speaking they are a tie, which makes this an interesting question.

I own HS, and have not owned RG, so I could be missing a few good points... But here goes...

(objectively)
4 years is a long time to sit and think how to improve an original design. ((To me, RG is in fact HS2. Getaway would then be HS3))

RG has a more interesting layout -- it has a much more physical system of: habitrails, magnets, and diverters. Several improvements: 1. It turns the weak shot in HS (straight up and back, just left of center) to a legit inner-orbit shot that feeds the orbit and spinner, and earns a free ball. 2. Left outlane doesn't stink like in Firepower forward (a curved wall you can rarely nudge off of). 3. A bank of drops in the middle of the playfield. (proto-type had them down the left bank too !) Also -- a super cool beginning to MB that mimics the real game from real life by unloading all 3 balls at once...

HS has better ramp returns to the PF that do not feed the inlanes directly. That was a downgrade to two spoon-fed inlanes in RG. This makes Rollergames easier, which is not good. I would consider lightning flippers on RG. HS has 3 spinners. Name another game where you can literally have 3 spinners going at once.

(subjectively)
HS better theme/sounds/callouts for my tastes.

Quoted from RTS:

Mostly interested in game-play, depth, features, and challenge.

Theme/sounds/art aside, RG is the best answer to your question, thus it was my vote.

-mof

#12 10 months ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Hard to lose to it.

#13 10 months ago

They both are fun games to play. RG has giant hair-do ladies, spandex bros, and blue jean booty on the back glass. Win.

#14 10 months ago

Rollergames just has more to do so I think it's more fun. HS is fantastic, but I will admit I prefer HS2 over it.

#15 10 months ago

Steve Ritchie said in an interview that Rollergames was originally going to be High Speed 2, but that they changed the theme halfway through development when they got the Rollergames license. The "figure 8" light design from Rollergames was originally used on the High Speed prototype and was then resurrected for what was *going* to be High Speed 2, but ended up staying in the Rollergames playfield design.

I have both machines and personally can play Rollergames for longer than I can play High Speed (possibly because of the hypnotic music), but High Speed is great in its own ways and is a game that you can really get into the zone with.

#16 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Steve Ritchie said

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.
-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,100 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Cedar Grove, NJ
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casselberry, FL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside