Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dozer1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9EE278C3-8C4E-4602-AFA0-DB56B245CE0A (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

So im supposed to trade my rollergames this weekend, last night i went to take some pics to send the other guy. Stupid me did it with the game on, i lifted the playfield and the ground strap hit the ramp diverter coil causing a good amount of playfield smoke. After that it stopped working (figured coil bad). But not only is that coil bad, but the lock release coil on the right and the two atomic whip coils dont work. I replaced the burned coil, changed the drive and predrive transistors for all 4 coils, still nothing. All 4 of those coils have the same color wire, purple and yellow. Im not sure what to check next, but was really hoping to get this done in time to trade!

#2 6 years ago

Oh, and the fuses are all good

#3 6 years ago

Do you have power at the coils?

#4 6 years ago

I was just thinking that, that i never checked those. Should i test between the lugs when it should be activated, or should there always be power

#5 6 years ago

There will always be power.

Ground the black lead of your meter, set it to DC and then put the red lead on the lugs to the coil. Should see around 28v on both sides.

#6 6 years ago

Thats what i thought. Thanks, ill check in a minute

#7 6 years ago

If you don't have power it's probably a fuse, if you do the buffer chip that drives the 2n4401's is probably fried. I'd bet my money on the fuse.

#8 6 years ago

Showing .4v

#9 6 years ago

Changed all fuses on driver board, and 3 on the power board. Still no go

#10 6 years ago

I should clarify, i changed the tip122 and 2n4401 transistors on the cpu. Looking at it, im wondering if the aux driver that has the tip36c may have something to do with it. Hard to follow a schematic on my phone.

#11 6 years ago

Your transistors were probably fine honestly. The current path would've gone from the power supply thru the ground strap and not back to the board. That's why I think it was fuses.

#12 6 years ago

Yeah this is bad. You're losing voltage to the coils. Check the fuses on the Aux power driver board. F1, F2, F3, F2A, F2C. Buzz them out with your meter. One of them is bad. Also reseat connector J11 on that same board.

#13 6 years ago

You get to use one of the most common phrases when selling a pinball....”hmmm?? It’s never done that before”

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Changed all fuses on driver board, and 3 on the power board. Still no go

Recheck voltages with the new fuses? Did you test the old fuses so you'd know which one(s) might be blown?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Yeah this is bad. You're losing voltage to the coils. Check the fuses on the Aux power driver board. F1, F2, F3, F2A, F2C. Buzz them out with your meter. One of them is bad. Also reseat connector J11 on that same board.

Changed all fuses, i will reseat j11 in the morning.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from ufopinball:

Recheck voltages with the new fuses? Did you test the old fuses so you'd know which one(s) might be blown?

Voltage was the same after. Checked all fuses and all tested good, but changed anyways

#17 6 years ago

With game off, did you check continuity on the purple yellow power wire from coil to coil and to the backbox?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

With game off, did you check continuity on the purple yellow power wire from coil to coil and to the backbox?

No i didnt, i will try that as well, thanks!!

#19 6 years ago

You likely destroyed a trace on the back of the Aux Power Driver for power to those coils.

And I agree with others, replacing all those drivers was completely unnecessary.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#20 6 years ago

I havent pulled the aux board yet, but i will and check the traces. Would the tip36c's on the aux driver still be good?

#21 6 years ago

There's one fuse you might not have checked because it's totally hidden under the playfield. If you raise the playfield and look near the center (both width and length of the playfield) you'll find a fuse/holder mounted behind a nest of wires. As far as I remember, that fuse protects the coils you are having issues with. It took me a while to find this issue when it happened to me but once I found that fuse and changed it I was all fixed up! Good luck and let me know if that was your issue.

Eric

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from erico201:

There's one fuse you might not have checked because it's totally hidden under the playfield. If you raise the playfield and look near the center (both width and length of the playfield) you'll find a fuse/holder mounted behind a nest of wires. As far as I remember, that fuse protects the coils you are having issues with. It took me a while to find this issue when it happened to me but once I found that fuse and changed it I was all fixed up! Good luck and let me know if that was your issue.
    Eric

I checked but did not see one. Will check as soon as i get home! Thanks!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I checked but did not see one. Will check as soon as i get home! Thanks!

It's VERY hard to see...you might have to move the wire looms around to actually find it. It's a single fuse holder that is typically mounted to the playfield but mine was loose. You'll find it, it's there...It just might take 30 mins of staring in that general vicinity. Haha

#24 6 years ago

I grabbed this pic off Google and it’s a prototype but it should help you find where that fuse is. It’s hidden in the area I circled just behind the “Teams” lamp boards and before the drop target assembly. Good luck!

9EE278C3-8C4E-4602-AFA0-DB56B245CE0A (resized).jpeg9EE278C3-8C4E-4602-AFA0-DB56B245CE0A (resized).jpeg

#25 6 years ago

Thats where i figured you meant. Ill be home at 2 and check it. Thanks again!

#26 6 years ago

All fixed!!!! I never would have found that fuse. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

#27 6 years ago

GREAT NEWS!! I was so frustrated when the same thing happened to my Rollergames. I was at my wits end trying to trace what I thought was a broken wire under the playfield when VOILA, there’s a hidden fuse!! So glad to hear you’re up and running again!

Happy flippin’,
    Eric

#28 6 years ago

Glad i spent an hour doing unnecessary board work too!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Glad i spent an hour doing unnecessary board work too!

Apparetly Eric is the man. I owned a Rollergames and didn't even know that fuse was there either. That said, this is a great example of why you should always start at the mech or lamp that isn't working and work your way back towards the boards. Following the wiring schematic back SHOULD have shown that fuse existed, I would think, and testing the lugs at the start would've indicated there was not the proper voltages.

Also, if you ever run into something like this again, you can check for those voltages at the pins on the board itself as long as you're careful not to short them! That would've also eliminated the blown trace theory, I think. Though that was a good suggestion..I've totally had traces blow clean off the board near the big caps on a WPC power driver before...that was fun to figure out.

#30 6 years ago

I know Earthshaker has a fuse under the playfield near the bumpers. Never owned a Rollergames, but I should probably check my other System 11 era games and see if there are any surprises.

#31 6 years ago

For future reference - http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rollergames#Several_Solenoids_Not_Firing.2C_But_All_Auxiliary_Driver_Board_Fuses_Test_Fine

And, if you own a Rollergames, it wouldn't hurt to get the updated flasher map. I pulled my hair out trying to find what was what, so I remade that page - http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rollergames#Updated_Solenoid_Flasher_Map

Jim

#32 6 years ago

And really important rule don’t be raising and lowering PF especially sys 11 games with power on. Glad you found the problem and it was not a serious issue.

#33 6 years ago

Ya, i was in a hurry and not thinking, last time i do that!!

#34 6 years ago

I recently picked up a Rollergames. I will remember that there is a deeply hidden fuse under the PF from this thread. Good stuff to know! Great under rated game too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-stumped-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.