(Topic ID: 222497)

Rollergames - Solenoid issues & operator switches not working.

By bananatino

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

RG01 (resized).jpg

#1 8 months ago

I recently picked up a Rollergames, which is having a couple different solenoid issues. I'm a bit new to this hardware so bear with me.

First off, the flippers are extremely weak. Between the fire and hold sections of each flipper coil, it seems like only half is working. One of the resistors (the oneon the lower right flipper) has a broken lead, so that connection is effectively broken. Could that be the entire issue there?

Additionally, the upkicker and 3-bank drop target reset coils are totally not functional.

Finally, the switches inside the coin door aren't working.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 8 months ago

It's worth noting that the solenoids worked for about 6 games after it arrived at the OP's house. It died when the hold magnet by the upper right flipper was on

#3 8 months ago

You mean the diode on the flipper correct? I dont believe it has a resistor. Change that out but make sure it is going in the right direction. Check your fuses, that is probably why the solenoids arent working, there is a fuse under the playfield in the middle halfway up covered with the wire harness, check that one too. I know that controls the diverter coil, not sure what else. Not sure about the test button

#4 8 months ago
Quoted from bananatino:

One of the resistors (the oneon the lower right flipper) has a broken lead

I agree with amkoepfer this is a diode. If the diode is broken and the coil is fired it can do damage to the board unless it is fused between the coil and the board. I don't believe it is. Since this is on the right flipper and the coils stopped working while the magnet was on I imagine you hit the right flipper then it spiked back to the board killing the transistor. Its a theory scenario at this point. But if the diode isn't connected and/or not working properly it will spike to the board and kill the transistor. Your first step is to replace the diode on this coil and make sure you install the new one with the band in the proper direction. If this flipper is still working at this point consider yourself lucky. Don't use it anymore until you fix the broken lead or replace the diode.

Quoted from bananatino:

Additionally, the upkicker and 3-bank drop target reset coils are totally not functional.

amkoepfer is correct that you should be looking for a fuse to these solenoids. Replace and if it blows again you have a short or bad diode to hunt down.

Quoted from bananatino:

the flippers are extremely weak

Can be a few issues for this. First check the EOS is properly adjusted so the contacts are closed and making good connection until the flipper is in the up position. If they open too soon you're not getting full power for enough of the stroke. Most people say 1/8 inch gap at flipper up position. I'm brave and make them tighter. Too tight though and they will stay closed and burn out your coil and blow fuses. Stick with 1/8 inch gap.
If that doesn't make solve the weakness look at the contacts on those switches. If they are dirty clean them with a file. Readjust them and see how that works.
Still weak? My secret weapon... one place many overlook are the flipper button switches themselves. File those suckers clean and see if you don'e get good power. I'll say this, usually when I find myself filing these contacts things do work better. However they may be very pitted and wearing down. I have files away a good bit t get them working. At this point I have found its best to replace the switches. The blades are old and losing their Spring strength making less tight contact. I've cleaned the crap out of them with no change only to replace and make a world of difference. If the EOS or flipper button switches look like they need filing do so for now but go ahead and order new ones and replace.

Quoted from bananatino:

the switches inside the coin door aren't working

Do the switches react at all when you press them? If not you can put your ohm meter in continuity mode across the legs of a button and press the button to make sure its working at the switch. If it is then you are looking for a broken wire between the coin door and the MPU where it connects to the board. First you'd pull the connector at the MPU and short the proper pins and see if they work on the board to determine if you have a wiring or board issue. More on that later if needed.

Let us now what you find.

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from bananatino:

Battery damage on the board in the head ?

LTG : )

#6 8 months ago
Quoted from bananatino:

Dirty ? Switch lugs shorting to metal ? Common wire to all of them not making a good connection from switches to board in the head ?

#7 8 months ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

You mean the diode on the flipper correct? I dont believe it has a resistor. Change that out but make sure it is going in the right direction.

Attaching a picture of the broken lead. It's the yellow piece. After a quick google I agree, it looks like a diode. We'll try replacing that.

Quoted from amkoepfer:

Check your fuses, that is probably why the solenoids arent working, there is a fuse under the playfield in the middle halfway up covered with the wire harness, check that one too. I know that controls the diverter coil, not sure what else.

Found the fuse under the playfield. IMO it doesn't look blown, just dirty, but we'll try replacing it either way. Will report back.

maestro, we will try your flipper troubleshooting recommendations. Note, though, that the flippers worked just fine before the electromagnet incident, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the contacts.

Further coin door diagnosis will probably happen after we get the game functional. Thank you for your recommendations, everyone.

RG01 (resized).jpg
#8 8 months ago
Quoted from bananatino:

but we'll try replacing it either way.

This is where you should get a meter and check if it is good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Harvey, ND
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside