Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05285.JPG
DSC05286.JPG
DSC05284.JPG
DSC05213.JPG
DSC05212.JPG
#1 13 years ago

I just purchased a Rollergames pinball machine. I cant get it to boot up. I checked some of the voltages 1J17 I get +12volts at pin 9 and +4.9v at pin 4,5,6. It needs to be 5 volts to boot correctly. What can cause this?? Also looking for a 3 bank target and opto pcb for this machine.

2 weeks later
#2 12 years ago

Hi Hotrob,

Was the machine oké when u picked it up?
4.9 Volt must be enough to start it up, did u checked all IC,s in there sockets?

Fritz.

#3 12 years ago

What are the diagnostic LED's doing on the MPU board ?? If they are on or blinking there is a problem. 4.9V should be close enough for operation.

#4 12 years ago

I always check the fuses first, you know, after the incident...

#5 12 years ago

This Pinball machine was a project when I got it. The GI lights would only light up when I got it. I put in all new fuses.

The diagnostics--I turn on the machine and I get one ding. I watch the LED's and the left LED goes solid the center LED blinks very fast and the right LED blinks and goes solid.

I push the diagnostics button on the CPU and I get a ding and 4 seconds later I get another ding. So two dings. The Left LED stays solid the center LED blinks once (I push the button, it lights then goes off then on again, so I guess one blink) Then it starts blinking very fast again.

The displays show only 00 00 00 00.

Trying to find some legs for this thing too.

Thanks everyone for your help.

DSC05212.JPGDSC05212.JPG DSC05213.JPGDSC05213.JPG

#6 12 years ago

I would check out all the proms/eproms next.

#7 12 years ago

I was just checking some things out and testing the U51 PIA chip, I found that pin 9 was grounding. I pulled the PIA chip and the socket is grounding somewhere. Is this normal or is that my issue why its not booting up? Do I have to trace where its grounding out?

Thanks very much for every ones help

Rob

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from DUB:

Was the machine oké when u picked it up?

The machine would turn on and the GI lights would light up when I got it but nothing else.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Hotrob:

The diagnostics--I turn on the machine and I get one ding. I watch the LED's and the left LED goes solid the center LED blinks very fast and the right LED blinks and goes solid.

That sounds like a fully booting board to me? (per some info previously posted in the internet)

System 11a, 11b, 11c CPU board LED's.
On system 11a, 11b, and 11c CPU boards, there are three LED's about in the middle of the CPU board. For a working game, here are what these three LED's should be doing when the game is turned on and in attract mode:

Left LED (labeled "+5 vdc"): shows that +5 vdc is present. This LED should always be on.
Middle LED (labeled "diagnostics"): should be continually flashing.
Right LED (labeled "blanking"): shows the blanking circuit is working, and should always be on.

So that appears OK. But, looking at the pic you posted, I also remembered this:

I turn my system 11 game on, and the score displays will only show 0's and X's in the middle of them.
Problem: the game thinks you have "slammed" it.

Answer: there is a slam switch inside the coin door, just above the coin door lock. This switch should be normally open. If this switch is shorted or bent closed, you will have this problem. Often people will accidentally bend this switch when putting credits on the game (a good reason to have the game set on free play!). If the switch is not shorted closed, the switch matrix could also be damaged, as the slam switch is part of the switch matrix.

From looking at your pic, I'd be all over this as a possible solution. You've obviously got some segments missing from your displays, but otherwise it appears to be the same symptom.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Hotrob:

was just checking some things out and testing the U51 PIA chip, I found that pin 9 was grounding. I pulled the PIA chip and the socket is grounding somewhere. Is this normal or is that my issue why its not booting up? Do I have to trace where its grounding out?

With chip in the board and game off - using DMM on diode setting - red lead to pin one and black lead to other pins should be reading .4-.6 volts. A short between Pin 1 and any other pin would indicate a bad chip.

With the chip out of the socket, are you getting a dead short between pins 1 and 9 of the socket itself? If so, ya, that's a problem too. If the socket itself is indeed shorted, I'd assume it took the chip with it. Not sure how to advise you on that, but if that is what is happening you do need to sort it out. Probably pull the board and inspect the socket to start with, then start buzzing out traces.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

Answer: there is a slam switch inside the coin door, just above the coin door lock. This switch should be normally open. If this switch is shorted or bent closed, you will have this problem. Often people will accidentally bend this switch when putting credits on the game (a good reason to have the game set on free play!). If the switch is not shorted closed, the switch matrix could also be damaged, as the slam switch is part of the switch matrix.

It booted up and does all its cool sounds.........Thank you very very much for that info.......

Now the problem is none of the flippers are working and the display shows only garbage. All the other solenoids are working and the music is playing. So close to being playable.

Thanks again

Rob

#12 12 years ago

Check the under playfield fuse(s) if the flippers are not working

#13 12 years ago

That's good news. You are 90% of the way there now.

Quoted from Hotrob:

display shows only garbage

Reset all the connectors just for kicks?
2 displays in that machine or 4? Try disconnecting various displays and try to boot with only one plugged in (sometimes one bad display can impact other displays)

It may go back to that issue with U51, as that chip is in the display circuit I believe.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from examiner:

Reset all the connectors just for kicks?
2 displays in that machine or 4? Try disconnecting various displays and try to boot with only one plugged in (sometimes one bad display can impact other displays)

It may go back to that issue with U51, as that chip is in the display circuit I believe.

There are only two displays.
Ok GREAT NEWS, I did what you said and now the upper display is working perfect, I see actual words. The lower display is just blank. I played the game and all flippers work. The only other issue is behind the back box door there are lights strung together and some connect to a small square yellow thing with a very small circuit board attached to it. There are some top lights on the back box that are out and some are on, I think it has something to with the small circuit board. Is there a fix for that?

Thank you very much for all your help

Rob

#15 12 years ago

Ah, the first game!

Did you have to do anything to the flippers, or did they just mysteriously start working?

On the displays, I assume both the upper and lower display glass is the same? (sorry, my Sys 11 has 4 smaller displays, 2 of which differ, so I am guessing a bit here). If so - to further diagnose your display problem, just switch the cables. Probably the easiest way (assuming you have the length) is to switch them at the display board itself.

By doing this, you are rerouting the "signals" from display 1 to display 2. We know the machine is sending good "signals" to display 1, so now we should be able to read the exact same information on display #2. However, if display 2 is still dead - that's a pretty good indication you have a bad display itself. However, if display 2 now works (receiving the signals from the display 1 output)....that means all of your displays are good, and you have a problem upstream in the display boards or the wiring.

On your backbox lights, I'm sorry, I don't know the exact board you are describing. But I assume those are just regular GI lights - I guess there is a good chance what you are talking about is a simple relay used to turn power on and off to those lights. The lights that don't work - are they all on the same wire string/circuit and trace back to that relay? Check the wires on both sides of that small board? Trace them back up to the backbox and check for burnt pins/connectors? (that's the most typical cause of non-working GI lights)

#16 12 years ago

Did you have to do anything to the flippers, or did they just mysteriously start working?

I found a plug disconnected on the board.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about on the lights.

Thanks

DSC05284.JPGDSC05284.JPG DSC05286.JPGDSC05286.JPG DSC05285.JPGDSC05285.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-pinball-wont-boot-up-only-getting-49volts-at-the-cpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.