(Topic ID: 254468)

Rollergames not booting (Williams System 11C)

By djodars

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by djodars
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'm back again with my poor Rollergames

Long story short, after replacing a burnt coil (#18), I put the game back together and accidentally plugged 2J9 in 5J9. F8 blew and I had now a locked right kicker (#16). I replaced the transistor, pre-transistor and diode but the issue persisted so I added a socket and replaced U17.

Now, the game doesn't boot (+5v LED is on, diagnostic and blanking are off).

It's almost impossible to check due to the clearance between the socket and board but could a solder bridge on that newly installed socket prevent the game from booting?

#2 4 years ago

check power supply voltages first. Then see if it makes it to the cpu board.Always check for power first.
Also meter out your traces on your repair. Depends on what legs are crossed and to where.

Follow your schematic on the board with your dmm and you should find it if its shorted out to another trace.

2 months later
#3 4 years ago

I have measured the power supply voltages, everything is fine.
I also tested continuity on my newly installed socket. None of the legs are shorted to each other.
Just to make sure, I have now put the game on a workbench. The problem is still the same. (+5v LED is on, diagnostic and blanking are off)

I have also checked the ROMs with a TL866II and they are true to their original .PP files.

U17 was replaced by a SN74LS08N (manual lists 7408) but I was told it should work since it's just a low power version of the same chip.

Could a bad chip prevent the CPU from going to diagnostics or should I look at something else?

#4 4 years ago

OK now meter out the socket pads to the components it should be going to in the schematic. Game booted until you installed that socket. For sure an error is present there somewhere.
Check each leg to where it comes from and where it goes to and see if they are all good.

7 months later
#5 3 years ago

To those it might interest or help in the future, I sent the board to a board repair tech and the problem was the oscillator at CR1. This is the only thing he replaced and the board now boots.

The right kicker was still locked on but I replaced the PIA at U10 and everything is now 100% working.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.