• Latest reply 9 years ago by Nifti
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RG_resistors.jpg
flash1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ModCity.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Can someone with access to a Rollergames where all the dome flashers are working take a look and give me the specs on resistors R1-R15? I have an interconnect board with some resistors that don't match the manual and I have three flashers out.

I'm not sure if this interconnect board is originally from a Rollergames (I've heard different System 11 games used different resistors than others), and I'm skeptical of manuals in instances like this. I'm inclined to either replace those resistors with those from the manual or with a set of resistors matching what a fully-working Rollergames is running.

Any advice is appreciated!

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, guys. I may have posted a bit prematurely on this, as I think we made a breakthrough last night after I posted, but we won't know until a part or two comes in. Here's what I think is going on, apologies in advance for the length.

I went back to another post I put up on this topic on a different forum, and one of the replies I got there indicated that the flasher resistor rating relates inversely to the number of flashers running on that line. The higher the resistance, the fewer flashers on the line.

So that equates to:

1 flasher on the resistor: 11 ohm
2 flashers on the resistor: 5.6 ohm
3 flashers on the resistor: 4 ohm
4 flashers on the resistor: 3 ohm

The manual does, indeed, say 3 ohm 5 watt resistors for the flashers. But the manual has a lot of specs that are from the prototype machine, including the original diverter arm assembly and a bunch of extra flashers behind the translite (which were removed on later machines - mine does not have them). These backbox flashers were also run off the R1-R9 resistors.

So, with those extra flashers, it makes sense that the manual would have those resistors at 3 ohms since they'd be running up to four flashers at a time (some on the playfield, some in the backbox). I appear to have the same setup installed as nifti, with several 11 ohm resistors running single flashers, and then a few 3, 4 and 5.6 ohm resistors.

And to correct an error in my original post, I have three flashers out: two "domed" flashers and the one that's just below the Atomic Whip coil. Those appear to be on the the Flash 2 circuit, and R2 is a 4 ohm resistor (as Nifti's picture above confirms). Tested it, and sure enough it's closed. I had tested it earlier and it read 11.2 ohms, but I couldn't read the rating printed on that particular resistor, and since there were several 11 ohm resistors mixed in, I assumed it could easily be another 11 ohm resistor. Once we figured that three flashers on a line would use a 4 ohm resistor, it made sense. Reading 11.2 on a 4 ohm resistor six months ago means that thing hasn't been working for a while, and last night R2 was completely closed.

Time to order a few resistors (a 4 ohm for the R2 and other backups). I'm not 100 percent sure this will solve the issue, but I'm very hopeful.

#6 9 years ago

Yes, good call. My R2 resistor is open, i.e. no current passing through it at all. I need to brush up on my terminology.

#8 9 years ago

Yeah, I know! Nobody should believe a word we say

#10 9 years ago

Not true, Cap. They were like that when I brought it home It was one of those things we didn't notice until quite a bit later and has been the source of many discussions on how to repair. It's finally down to this (and maybe one other small issue) and it's working 100 percent. You were right, though. It cleaned up really nice with a full shop job.

How many machines have you gone through since I got this from you? A dozen? More?

#16 9 years ago

All flashers are now working! It definitely makes a difference in appearance. Replaced the R2 with a new 4 ohm and they're looking great. For the record, here's how those resistors seem to rate on this non-prototype machine (no flashers in the backbox). They're all 5 watt.

R1 = 3 ohm
R2 = 4 ohm
R3 = 11 ohm
R4 = 11 ohm
R5 = 5.6 ohm
R6 = 11 ohm
R7 = 11 ohm
R8 = 4 ohm
R9 = 11 ohm

Clearly, those do not match the manual.

Hawk007 or nifti, maybe you guys can confirm this with your boards? Pretty sure this is right but a double-check never hurts. They test out in range for this but still can't read the specs on the actual resistors.

And while it wasn't obvious to us at first, resistor numbers (1-9) correspond with the flasher circuit numbers (1-9). Realizing that speeds up your testing. Live and learn, right?

Thanks for the help, all. It's appreciated!

#18 9 years ago

Thanks for that additional info, that's great for reference.

And yes, the interconnect board is labeled as D-12313-576.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ModCity.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-interconnect-board-resistors?tu=ModCity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.