You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230225_154928 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230225_160648_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230225_160810_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

My Rollergames started having an issue this morning where the W in "WAR" would not light or make any sound after knocking the target down, A and R would light and the lock would turn on, but not always right away. I had a similar issue with all 3 targets at 1 point and turned out to be a loose molex on the opto board. I figured I would start there so I removed connector and put backfirmly into place(it did not seem loose). Started up and now not only does the letter not light but knocking down all 3 targets does not trigger the lock. I started by cleaning the u opto with a tiny bit of alcohol on a qtip, no help. reading for all 3 letters on the test nodes of the board is the same at 10.1, in switch test mode the W target does not register. all of the switches in the same row/column are functioning fine. also switch does not appear as an error on start up, any and all help and advice appreciated, my wife's favorite machine down, so pressure is on

20230225_154928 (resized).jpg20230225_154928 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230225_160648_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230225_160648_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230225_160810_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230225_160810_Gallery (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

looking from the underside of the playfield so you can see the lights, also could try in switch test mode, that Molex plug you mentioned......whilst it's connected try wiggling the wires and see if the lights light up or go off etc.

my thought behind this is I had an issue that drove me round the bend until Quench helped me out by suggesting tracing the wire from the target bank to a Molex plug that whilst it looked intact and fine, but one original wire had possibly been originally been crimped so hard that over time and guessing also much unplugging and connecting led the internal tin plated wires to sever yet stay in the crimp contact due to the outer insulation.
So I'm suggesting checking continuity from the target optos/IDC to the Molex plug, then from the plug to the (not knowing the game) interconnect board IDC?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

also could try in switch test mode, that Molex plug you mentioned......whilst it's connected try wiggling the wires and see if the lights light up or go off etc.

I will give it a shot, that target bank gets a ton of abuse, it's the first move of the game and has a jet bumper attached to the other side that sometimes even triggers the targets.

#4 1 year ago

you could also try reseating the connectors at the interconnect board and the cpu, and the off chance you may have a dry solder join or more on any of the header pins of both boards?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

you could also try reseating the connectors at the interconnect board and the cpu, and the off chance you may have a dry solder join or more on any of the header pins of both boards?

I put machine in switch test, then used a popsicle stick to slightly wiggle the opto. this caused switch to engage, even to point where I can play for a bit before it fizzles out. so seems like reflowing those 4 joints will be next step, or should I just replace the opto anyways, getting these e clips off is pretty awkward so hoping to just do this once

#6 1 year ago

great news!

if it was me and taking the age of the machine into consideration I'd change the opto, but it's just choice.

If I'm right, and that's a big if, I believe the 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistors are on all the time the game is on, being part of the opto circuit R1, R3 & R5, so check to see if you have scorching or cracking under and around them. If so and you are planning on keeping the pin I suggest swapping them out for at least 1 watt ones.....I just put 2W on the opposite side of a similar board and have them about 3/8 off the board so the heat can get away instead of cooking the circuit board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-drop-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.