• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

Okay, so queue the dumb question!

I just got a Rollergames, and I notice that the game doesn't have the usual background music (the repetitive Rock Rock Rock-n-Rollergames tune). Is there a setting somewhere that changes it? It has what sounds like a revised tune where they just chant "Rock Rock Rock" every now and then.

Just curious as to whether or not this is a change in a version of sound rom (which I've never heard of them doing) or there's a setting in the game that defaults to this mode.

Many thanks!

Jimmy

#2 10 years ago

Hopefully it still has the KICK BUTT jackpot music. My favorite tune in all of pinball.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

Hopefully it still has the KICK BUTT jackpot music. My favorite tune in all of pinball.

This it does! Its a great one.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Okay, so queue the dumb question!
I just got a Rollergames, and I notice that the game doesn't have the usual background music (the repetitive Rock Rock Rock-n-Rollergames tune). Is there a setting somewhere that changes it? It has what sounds like a revised tune where they just chant "Rock Rock Rock" every now and then.
Just curious as to whether or not this is a change in a version of sound rom (which I've never heard of them doing) or there's a setting in the game that defaults to this mode.
Many thanks!
Jimmy

There is a setting to make the KICK BUTT song not have Lyrics, but as far as the background music in general, there were two or three different roms, and each had a different background track (none as good as rock, rock, rock and rollergames), so check to see which sound rom is in the machine (use the diagnostics, NOT the sticker on the roms), and let us know which you have...

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

There is a setting to make the KICK BUTT song not have Lyrics, but as far as the background music in general, there were two or three different roms, and each had a different background track (none as good as rock, rock, rock and Rollergames), so check to see which sound rom is in the machine (use the diagnostics, NOT the sticker on the roms), and let us know which you have...

Hey madman. Is that even possible? The game roms are LA-2, and the ID01 in diagnostics is "American Level 2". There is no sound rom information in diagnostics from what I can see.

Also, the background music during gameplay is what I'm referring to (the rock rock rock and Rolelrgames bit) as you hinted at

#6 10 years ago

You may have the German sound ROMS installed. Is your game a reimport?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

You may have the German sound ROMS installed. Is your game a reimport?

Not that I'm aware of. The coin door and PSU look to be stock. The sound roms have what look to be factory stickers on them saying "PROTO 2". Its also a DP playfield.

#8 10 years ago

I believe the European market hated this game so much that Williams actually made separate music roms that don't sing the full verse. The words "Rock N' Rollergames" aren't sung. Are the musical instruments playing normally? If so, it sounds like you have these alternate roms.

Wouldn't mind hearing an audio recording of what it is doing!

-BB

#9 10 years ago

Yeah, turns out these are prototype roms, so I've ordered a replacement music rom to see how that works. I'll try to grab an audio recording tonight and post it here

Its a very cool track, just not what I'm used to!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hey madman. Is that even possible? The game roms are LA-2, and the ID01 in diagnostics is "American Level 2". There is no sound rom information in diagnostics from what I can see.
Also, the background music during gameplay is what I'm referring to (the rock rock rock and Rolelrgames bit) as you hinted at

You're right, I was thinking that it rotated the info of sound rom and game rom on the first screen in diag, but my mind slipped to a wpc game (funhouse, bride, etc) instead of a system 11.

And as others have said, each country got a different main title theme...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

You're right, I was thinking that it rotated the info of sound rom and game rom on the first screen in diag, but my mind slipped to a wpc game (Funhouse, bride, etc) instead of a system 11.
And as others have said, each country got a different main title theme...

That's not entirely true. There were *2* sets of sound/speech ROMs for Rollergames. Only 2. One was for the German market, the other set used in the rest of the world.

I have both sets of binaries.. and a couple RG in the house, but I don't own a video camera. Maybe I can cell phone something, and YouTube it..

#12 10 years ago

Still holding out for that recording

1 year later
#13 9 years ago

Post away. Just picked up a RG. Would be interested hearing the alt version

#14 9 years ago

Where would I go to order the European rom? Really need to get rid of the rock rock rollergames chant

#15 9 years ago

images.jpegimages.jpeg
#16 9 years ago

I just saw that Pinsound has done Rollergames and could cure all that ails - if you have $400 to sink into a Rollergames.

#17 9 years ago

RG owner hand raised for alternate sound

1 year later
#19 7 years ago

I just picked up a Rollergames (Serial Number 89) and have the same bit where the music for the game is not the same as the production run of the game. Do i need to change out my CPU chips (LA-2), or sound chips?

7 months later
#20 6 years ago

I recently took a recording of this alternate music from my machine for a friend. I found this thread and saw requests for the recording so I uploaded it for you. After running different roms on Visual pinball I found that the U1 prototype is the only one with this song. (That I found) It also does not have any female callout voices (which is what made me originally notice something was odd with my sound)

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I recently took a recording of this alternate music from my machine for a friend. I found this thread and saw requests for the recording so I uploaded it for you. After running different roms on Visual pinball I found that the U1 prototype is the only one with this song. (That I found) It also does not have any female callout voices (which is what made me originally notice something was odd with my sound)
» YouTube video

Mind BLOWN!

#22 6 years ago

Hit the Wall!!
Best closing end of game match music ever!

#23 6 years ago

Oh sheesh! Sorry for losing this thread guys. I can confirm that the YouTube recording posted was the exact music I had. I ended up having to replace both the music and the CPU ROMs as the sound tables were different. I'd get spots where the sounds would be blank (presumably because the CPU was trying to make sound calls to the ROMs that didn't exist.)

I sadly ended up selling this game two years ago but I'd love to have another one. Glad I wasn't the only one who got to hear these early roms!

6 years later
#24 44 days ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I've never resurrected a thread this old, but seeing as though I requested a recording of the prototype music 10 years ago and then saw that I was 6 YEARS late to seeing someone had actually posted it, I just had to respond. Truly incredible and honestly an awesome alternate main theme, I love finding pinball easter eggs like this! Would be awesome if there was a rom hack with both main themes as options, but probably more trouble than someone would be willing to go through to make it happen.

As far as I know, the only three System 11 games with unused complete music tracks are Swords of Fury, Police Force, and now Rollergames.

Oddly, I went down this rabbit hole again today (after a whole decade) because this news clip surfaced in my feed and strangely enough - you can hear the prototype music toward the beginning of this video while Steve Kordek is showing the reporter the Williams showroom. I was like... that sounds like Rollergames, except not? That lead me back here, so belated thanks for sharing!

#25 43 days ago

Wow!!! And a baby Python as well! Nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
Boards
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollergames-background-music?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.