Rollercoaster Tycoon Problems

By HiBrianMichelle

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

We just bought our first pinball machine Rollercoaster Tycoon and overall it looked in great condition. We got it from the original owner so it's been only a home used machine.
We set it up yesterday and noticed it would get stuck in the "Power Ride" mode and the balls would continuously run through the machine even with out using the flippers the balls will shoot out drop down and continue again and again until I had to turn the power off.
Any ideas?
The original owner just had the machine gone over by a pinball tech and is working with me to resolve the problem.

#2 4 years ago

I had a fast break do a similar thing when a chip on the motherboard in the back box had a bad connection. Not sure if it’s the same issue, but would not hurt to make sure all the socketed chips are firmly pushed in.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. All of them looked in place.
I have a pinball tech coming on Tuesday.

#4 4 years ago

I'd reseat all connectors and make sure chips are properly seated

Great game. Miss mine

GL

#5 4 years ago

Infinite multiball is usually an indication of a ball trough problem. Moving a game would tend to exacerbate this, since the solder cracks on the connector, and moving always adds a little extra stress. Re-seat the connectors on the PCBs; this might work for a while. But ultimately the solder joints need to be re-flowed.

It's also possible that the optos are going bad, but that's usually not the problem. (I've had to do this on a couple of the games of similar vintage, but not my RCT.)

#6 4 years ago

Are other multiball modes working okay? You can drop 2 ball in the left launcher lane and see what happens with tne 2 for 1 multiball.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks guys

I don't know this game plays but it seems to get a lot of multi balls and some end and can continue to play then it will go into a continuous ball through. (I've only had this game for 2 days so don't know what all the proper functions are)
I've seen on YouTube on some RCT game play that you can get 2 balls locked in the left launcher and I've only seen one in the limited play I've done but it says at time "Ball 2 Locked"
I've also noticed a few times if it goes through a complete game at the end it will shoot out all 4 balls 2 times then say missing 4 balls?

#8 4 years ago

Well hopefully something just misaligned or jiggled loose on the ride over. I can see how it would be a little more difficult to diagnose without being used to the game play. Obviously it's more than just a "Power Ride" issue though.

For reference, at least in my game, there are never 2 balls physically locked in the left launcher. The 2nd switch is to check if there is a 2nd ball in there accidentally. In a year and a half of play I've only managed to bounce a ball in there twice. You then get a callout that goes something like "oh no, two for one". Might be the same call out you get quick multiball from the map scoop. At any rate, if your coil is good it should launch the 2 balls out in one shot and you play some multiball.

I would check that area and the ball trough. Maybe clean the optos, I cleaned my Cyclone drop target one quite a while ago and it's been working perfect ever since.

#9 4 years ago

Hey guys update....
Had the pinball tech out yesterday and of course it wouldn't go into the problem of just continuously running balls through while they were there. He went over the machine checked the boards connections (did not unplug and re plug in any connectors or chips) then went through all the settings. He said the "freeze time" was set high made a few other minor adjustments then tried playing a few games.
After they left we played for about 15 min then started the same problem again.
No parts were changed or cleaned.

1 week later
#10 4 years ago

Man if that’s not Murphy’s law I don’t know what is...intermittent problems are the worst!

#11 4 years ago

Yeah I hear you!
The seller felt bad about not resolving this problem for us and was a VERY stand up guy and offered to take the machine back and refund our money. We opted to do this....I'm sure its probably an easy fix but we were not sure if this was the machine for us. Made us nervous if there were some other issues going on with it.
So the search continues......
We did come across another pin that might be the one.

Thank you all for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 18.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rollercoaster-tycoon-problems- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.