(Topic ID: 35989)

Roller Coaster Tycoon would be a $7,000 LE today...

By LesManley

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a friend's RCT, that just had a complete shop job, in my basement so I have been getting in a some play on one that actually works. Now, I don't like the theme and I think the ruleset leaves a lot to be desired, but that said, this game has a ton of stuff packed into it. I can't believe how much this game has going on...

4 flippers
3 ramps
3 huge colored wireforms
1 scoop
4 drop targets
"Scrambled Eggs" spinner (ie Tesseract)
1 monster VUK that goes to the top of the glass
1 DMD sign on the playfield
Real Ball Lock
7 Modes (including "Boo Time")
Timed multiball wizard mode
10 Different Shots To Shoot For! (Not including stand up or drop targets)

I know RCT gets next to no love, and in some respects rightfully so, but I look at a game this like and then a game like IM or Avatar and I can't help but be amazed at how much pinball has regressed in many ways in just 10 years time. If Stern put a different theme on this game and added a better ruleset...or hell...even kept a similar ruleset, people would be tripping all over themselves to buy a game this full featured nowadays. Can you imagine a RCT rethemed as Tron with the Troll replaced with Clu and the wireforms as light cycle or light jet ramps? They're even even red, blue and yellow already. Or the wireforms as mine cart ramps in a Stern Indiana Jones pin that doesn't suck? It's just sad to me that a Stern pin like RCT, that is widely considered one of Stern's worst efforts, has so much more going for it than the newest and best LEs being released today.

#2 11 years ago

Nice! I had one for a while and I also felt the rules lacked a bit of depth, but everyone liked how pretty the machine one. Definitely a fun game to play.

#3 11 years ago

You bring up a really good point here and I agree with you. I felt that if somebody had a shaker motor modification in an Avatar machine, the whole damn thing would come tumbling to the ground it's so cheap... A re-theme of the layout (like FG to Shrek) would be interesting to see what theme/title they would use.

#4 11 years ago

I'd like to see some of the pinball coders here take a crack at redoing RCT. Its got some really nice shots and the layout isnt bad either. That theme is kinda painful, so if they could retheme it to something else it could be killer. Shaker motor support would be a nice addon too w/ the new theme.

#5 11 years ago

I don't hate RCT. Maybe I haven't played it enough???

#6 11 years ago

Retheme it to Call of Duty. RCT was a hot video game at the time, and CoD is now in that position. Add a shaker motor, mission modes, pistol grip plunger, and you might have a better pin.

#7 11 years ago

This will be the must own game of 2013.

#8 11 years ago

It's the troll. Plain and simple. Why is there a troll on there??? Really! I loved the PC games. But...the troll... why?

Ironically, the people that bash the troll (that actually does something) will fill their "toyless" games with a truckload of Walmart action figures that do nothing. Ironic...

All that aside, the game's rules left alot to be desired. Great layout, but the ruleset is sparse. Some of the modes are exactly the same (dunk the dummy and superdunk).
I'll be keeping mine because people love it and it is pretty to look at and was cheap. It's alot of pin for the money. Now if somehow its value takes off into the $4k+ range, I'll sell it in a heartbeat.

#9 11 years ago

I like everything about it except the creepy little troll doll.

#10 11 years ago

The doll can be removed. Easily. He's just zip tied onto the coil mechanism.

We've replaced ours with a better troll. He also has pants on now.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from shardian:

Why is there a troll on there??? Really! I loved the PC games. But...the troll... why?

It was a readily available mass produced toy, just like the hallmark tron cycles. I'm sure they picked a troll because there's really no spokesperson for RCT (maybe they could have done a typical theme park patron?). Really surprised nobody has created some sort of alternate toy for it.

It's high on my want list, and they're fairly reasonable (between $1600-$2200). I love ramps to shoot for, and multiple flippers. There's a reason why I like nearly all of lawlor's designs.

#12 11 years ago

I love that you have a troll with pants. Maybe the lack of pants is what I found distracting...

#13 11 years ago

Tron is great not because it has a ton of toys or modes but rather because it plays great and fun. Tron is less feature rich than PotC but I believe Tron will be the more desirable pin in the future. It's not all about the number of ramps or up kickers or toys but how good the overall game is.

#14 11 years ago

If someone wants to get in before this thing takes off, ill sell my rct for 3k.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

I love that you have a troll with pants. Maybe the lack of pants is what I found distracting...

Yeah it really bothered my wife so she whipped him up some nice, shiny black and gold swimming trunks. The doll we used was bigger than factory, so the pants came in handy actually. To keep his arms from getting stuck on the dunk tank, I tucked his hands into his pants.

So...I have a troll looking at me who has a Gene Simmons like tongue flopping out at you and he has his hands down his pants....yeah...he might be more creepy. But he's awesome!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's high on my want list,

Same here, its a really fun game.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If Stern put a different theme on this game and added a better ruleset...or hell...even kept a similar ruleset, people would be tripping all over themselves to buy a game this full featured nowadays.

Throwing money and parts at a game doesn't ensure success. IJ4 and RCT are proof of that. Software or paint won't fix either. Too many other problems. Success is relative with pinball though. Both games do well on location with casual players.

If AFM was released today, the WMS model would be a pro. AC/DC premium and LE both have bigger BOMs than RCT. Significantly bigger. And it's an awesome game. No regression to be seen.

#18 11 years ago

Never have played one but it looks like a fun pin

#19 11 years ago

I try and try to like this pin but I just can't. Owned it twice, sold it twice.

However, I do agree with you that this would probably be an LE by todays standards and offers great value for what it demands as a market price currently.

#20 11 years ago

I thought most people's beef with RCT was that it's too easy, and as such not much fun to own. Never had one myself, only played it once on location -- and was able to whoop it pretty well. Left it with credits on it after I got bored.

#21 11 years ago

My girlfriend added a Harley patch to the troll and a black choker. Much better. Not sure why she said it was me...

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I thought most people's beef with RCT was that it's too easy, and as such not much fun to own. Never had one myself, only played it once on location -- and was able to whoop it pretty well. Left it with credits on it after I got bored.

It is definitely one of those pins like MB where it isn't *if* you get to the wizard mode, it is how many times you get there in a single game. The game even keeps track of that for you and tells you how many park completions you have.

#23 11 years ago

I set mine up very steep with opened outlanes and it doesn't seem to be so easy. Same with monopoly.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is definitely one of those pins like MB where it isn't *if* you get to the wizard mode, it is how many times you get there in a single game. The game even keeps track of that for you and tells you how many park completions you have.

If you the one you are playing is set up so that it starts every ball with the fun mode lit, then yes it is very easy to get to wizard mode. That can be turned off so that every mode has to be lit before it can be started. Not much harder...but helps. I have mine set up so that park tycoon is not common.

Getting Park tycoon is easy and straight forward. Getting a real high park guest count - not so much.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from shardian:

If you the one you are playing is set up so that it starts every ball with the fun mode lit, then yes it is very easy to get to wizard mode. That can be turned off so that every mode has to be lit before it can be started. Not much harder...but helps. I have mine set up so that park tycoon is not common.
Getting Park tycoon is easy and straight forward. Getting a real high park guest count - not so much.

Yeah, it is factory. A fun mode is lit right away so you can get it on the skill shot if you are "skilled" My highest single park guest count so far has been just shy of 12,000. It sucks that you lose all that when you complete a park. I understand why, but it should be held over in some kind of special bonus. I hate having a huge guest count, completing the wizard mode, draining my ball and having my guest count drop back to 1,000 for the bonus.

#26 11 years ago

Wouldn't/isn't any/every LE made today be 7k? And 8k by the end of the year?

#27 11 years ago

Finally a thread with no RCT hate!

#28 11 years ago

I am a big fan. One thing not mentioned is its a low scoring game.
A 1million point shot is huge, 3m is factory replay setting.
One day I'll get to mod'n that Troll and it will be more pleasing to the eyes.
I had one - sold it - went trough 15 or so pins then really missed it.

Traded TZ for HUo RCT - NF & cash. NF sold cash spent and I would do that trade again any day.
RCT is just simple rule fun IMO with a great shot layout.

Sits right next to FH in my collection....and RCT gets 5 to 1 play.
42M is my top score factory settings 3 ball...that was park tycoon twice in one game.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from tomaszb1:

Finally a thread with no RCT hate!

Let me fix that for you. IT's a SH&TBOX...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roller-coaster-tycoon-would-be-a-7000-le-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.