Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pacman11
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
WP_20151117_0191.jpg
Capturerct.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Is anyone aware of a rule sheet for Roller Coaster Tycoon? One just got put on location locally. I am curious to learn about the game. The "rule sheet" from Pinball News on papa is super lame.

#2 3 years ago

Capturerct.JPG

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Capturerct.JPG

This is it in a nut shell. The rules on RCT suck. Other things to keep in mind, there is no reason to shoot the MAP room scoop...ever. Bonus is completely worthless pointwise. "BIG BONUS!" is screamed at you when you get a whopping 100,000 point bonus or more which isn't that often. It's really only worth ever considering to get to the EB at 6x. Two of the modes are the same, just named differently and most of them are not worth even playing. That and I would be shocked if the one on route actually worked correctly. They always seem to be broken with a ramp switch out or drop target issues which makes the game even more awful than if it was playing 100%. Such a shame as there is a lot of stuff packed into this game, it's just not integrated well with the rules at all. I had this game in my basement storing it for a friend so I got to play it for free for a few months and I still wanted it gone.

#4 3 years ago

Rules: Timeout all modes besides Power Ride for Park Tycoon, or go for multiball by complete luck. Also, be in shock that this machine came right before Simpsons Pinball Party.

4 weeks later
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

This is it in a nut shell. The rules on RCT suck.

Quoted from Kineticross:

Rules: Timeout all modes besides Power Ride for Park Tycoon, or go for multiball by complete luck.

So you guys always play pinball like you're in a tournament? That sounds kind of boring.

Multiball isn't by luck. You open the rides by shooting them (ramps). Then once the ride is open, you lock the ball at the Chicago loop (left ramp).

The Handyman (the drop target at the upper right) is the mode start. So you want to lite fun at the center ramp (flying ghost), then go through the three drop targets to get there. Being a Lawlor game there are several ways to get there. The plunge if fun is ready, through the three drops, a clean shot from the upper right that swings all the way through.

The modes are enjoyable for this style of game. I suggest playing them, because playing pinball should be fun.

The troll... I don't get it. I played this game years ago and thought it was a piece of crap with an annoying troll. Now I think it is funny as heck. The screams at the start of Multiball are great.

I hate myself for saying this, but it is a better game than I ever thought. I'm sure the fun will run out and the park will close. But right now, what a stupid fun little game.

#6 3 years ago

Agreed with Dave. It's not perfect but it's fun. It's a wacky ride and a great take on the theme. Much, much better than any of the other carnival- themed games too, cyclone, comet, and hurricane are nowhere close.

Was one of my favorites to play a year or two ago, but the one at my local arcade caught fire and I haven't had one around since.... Shame.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So you guys always play pinball like you're in a tournament? That sounds kind of boring.

Normally I play one of two ways. Either to get a high score, or for game completion...if those two don't lend themselves to each other naturally. Getting a high score or beating the game are fun for me.

I love the layout, but the rules are absolutely awful on RCT. This game has a ton packed into it and would be an $7,000 LE today with all the stuff there, but the monumentally bad code wastes all that. I actually defended RCT the physical game when I had it 2 years ago. The ruleset that makes the game not fun though is indefensible.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roller-coaster-tycoon-would-be-a-7000-le-today

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Agreed with Dave. It's not perfect but it's fun. It's a wacky ride and a great take on the theme. Much, much better than any of the other carnival- themed games too, cyclone, comet, and Hurricane are nowhere close.
Was one of my favorites to play a year or two ago, but the one at my local arcade caught fire and I haven't had one around since.... Shame.

It is a fun and it has cool ramps.

#9 3 years ago

Just got a RCT and it is such a good break from my other games which are ACDC, IM, ST and HS2. RCT is just fun for me. My kids like it also. Glad I got it.

#10 3 years ago

I enjoy mine but most games are just going for multi ball and trying to start as many modes per ball as I can to get the tycoon. Biggest points come from tycoon.

#11 3 years ago

Great pin, I can't believe how many people overlooked this pin, the only thing that wrong with this pin is rule set,but besides this there jus so many great shots, easy to beat, I beat the pin 3 times already and still like playing it

#12 3 years ago

I wonder if someone could rewrite the code. Chad did it for TFTC so I wonder if it's doable for RCT.

#13 3 years ago

I changed settings on my game, and I'm enjoying it more and more. I reset everything to extra hard. So starting a mode requires the R&D targets, then the Ghost ramp, and finally through the 3 drop targets to the Handyman drop target. It doesn't remember the mode start (Handyman is always down at the start of the ball). I start with one light on one ride, and to open the next ride you have to knock down the 3 drop targets. Plus I set it up pretty steep.

Multiball is more difficult, and getting to Park Tycoon instantly became much more difficult. I'll continue to tweak the settings a bit, but I highly recommend any owners (who don't have kids that would hate it like this) to really rack up the difficulty of the game.

Not that I hated it when it was setup easy. But I really thought it would get old fast like that.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I changed settings on my game, and I'm enjoying it more and more. I reset everything to extra hard. So starting a mode requires the R&D targets, then the Ghost ramp, and finally through the 3 drop targets to the Handyman drop target. It doesn't remember the mode start (Handyman is always down at the start of the ball). I start with one light on one ride, and to open the next ride you have to knock down the 3 drop targets. Plus I set it up pretty steep.
Multiball is more difficult, and getting to Park Tycoon instantly became much more difficult. I'll continue to tweak the settings a bit, but I highly recommend any owners (who don't have kids that would hate it like this) to really rack up the difficulty of the game.
Not that I hated it when it was setup easy. But I really thought it would get old fast like that.

For me it'd just be much better if each mode gave more points for completing\making progress so they were worth doing and if there was another wizard mode besides tycoon that required you to complete each mode. Small changes but would make the game more fun.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from daddyxxx:

I can't believe how many people overlooked this pin, the only thing that wrong with this pin is rule set

Look. I own the machine, and a pretty nice example of it. In saying that, it could be said that I have a vested interest in hyping up the game a bit.

The statement you've made above is akin to "I can't believe how many people overlooked this sportscar, the only thing that [sic] wrong with this sportscar is transmission". That's a *MASSIVE* thing to "only be wrong" with it.

I'm the first to tout RCT's playfield as having all *kinds* of potential...but the rules (sigh) are outrageously bad. They're just...just awful. The game, as a result, on the whole, is *worse* than its predecessor, Monopoly, and by at least a couple of steps. The personality of the game, what with the troll and all that, bothers me more than many other games as well. However, with half-decent rules, personality gets overlooked, each and every time.

It's inexcusable the way they wasted the playfield in this game. The very best (the *VERY BEST*) shot in the game is completely useless and ignored. That upper loop does *nothing* except spot a *single letter* in A-B-C. What a freaking *waste*. There's far more, but who needs to bring it all up? Why bother saying that the Scrambled Eggs is a complete waste of BOM and doesn't add anything to the game? Why mention that the standup banks are basically useless and have no need to ever be hit other than during Dancing Digits, if you should so choose? Man, the things I could go on about.

"This would be a great meal if it wasn't for the food." Jiminy.

#16 3 years ago

I like the attempt to this game and wanted to love it, but the scoring is painfully bad and like others said, useless shots. I like to be able to build my bonus x, and this game is extremely difficult to do just that, the ball is hardly ever up in that top left area. I thought a spinner would have been nice off to the top left of the scrambled eggs, but you get a stand up target...zzzz.....

Monopoly on the other hand, is a very good game. Code is not perfect, but the theme is very well done and it can flow real nice if dialed in. I always enjoy the cop stop drop target mode, and the shots are nice.

#17 3 years ago

I so to have both pins almost side by side, monopoly is definitely a better games for the rule set, but for flow rct much better, you must be something wrong if you can't get it in the top left corner, any time I play I make use of the whole playfield

WP_20151117_0191.jpg

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from daddyxxx:

I so happen to have both pins almost side by side, Monopoly is definitely a better games for the rule set, but for flow rct much better, you must be something wrong if you can't get it in the top left corner, any time I play I make use of the whole playfield

WP_20151117_0191.jpg 1You have marked this image as NSFW/NFF (more info).Thanks for your help keeping Pinside family friendly.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from daddyxxx:

I so to have both pins almost side by side, Monopoly is definitely a better games for the rule set, but for flow rct much better, you must be something wrong if you can't get it in the top left corner, any time I play I make use of the whole playfield

Disagree, Monopoly flows way better.

I don't think anything is wrong with me, I'm ranked in the top 200 worldwide on IFPA-it is more difficult than it should be to get it to the top rollovers on RCT than it should be.

1 month later
#20 3 years ago

I agree with the prevailing sentiment. I was able to get to the Park Tycoon mode 3 times in one game. It's barely worth it, though it is not difficult. When I missed the SJP, I would only end up with 2.5M from that mode. I was doing just as well with regular MB.

On the machine I was playing, the Egg Scrambler (?) was broken, so it was more difficult to get to MB. I also couldn't exactly figure out what was required to start subsequent MBs after the first one. I would sometimes feel that it was just random, but I was obviously not catching something in the rules. Oh well, got 35M which was good enough for GC.

I won't be rushing back.

image_(resized).jpeg

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Disagree, Monopoly flows way better.
I don't think anything is wrong with me, I'm ranked in the top 200 worldwide on IFPA-it is more difficult than it should be to get it to the top rollovers on RCT than it should be.

I find myself plunging for the rollovers in between mode starting when locking balls or a plunge for the mode isn't ready. I do leave factory settings though for my 12 yr old.

1 month later
#22 3 years ago

Double post

#23 3 years ago

Alright guys I need a picture of the coil under the scoop in the middle right side. Does it have a diode on it or not? Mine isn't firing and I think someone replaced it with a new cool without a diode and the Q8 transistor that connected to it went bad..

Plus there's a random orange wire just hanging loose in the area too.

#24 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

image_(resized).jpeg

If you can wait until tomorrow night, I can take one for you, if I remember.

#26 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#27 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#28 3 years ago

Ah, very nice of you! Now I don't have to bother tomorrow night.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Ah, very nice of you! Now I don't have to bother tomorrow night.

Now you don't have to worry about forgetting

#30 3 years ago

Man don't you guys clean your games? Those subways are horribly dirty. All that dirt comes onto the top of the playfield.

#31 3 years ago

Thanks for the pictures it appears the orange doesn't go to anything I see yours dangling.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

image_(resized).jpeg

Sorry but I just have to say this...your subway needs cleaning badly. I hope your not mad at me.

#33 3 years ago
#34 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Thanks for the pictures it appears the orange doesn't go to anything I see yours dangling.

You do? It looks to me like the orange on his machine is all hooked onto that one solder point.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

You do? It looks to me like the orange on his machine is all hooked onto that one solder point.

Thats what I thought at first also but I was mistaken. The wire that is loose is the small orange one that is looped onto itself with shrink wrap on it. The soldered orange wires are just not visible in his picture but if you look at my second picture you can see the other orange wire that is loose is a different wire.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sorry but I just have to say this...your subway needs cleaning badly. I hope your not mad at me.

Yeah I took it all apart recently and cleaned it. The diode was missing on the coil which blew the transistor so I just ordered a new one to install.

#37 3 years ago

Alright now I am trying to figure out what's going on. When I power the game on fuse 21 blows on the board.

I replaced the fuse and unplug the coil at the scoop and the fuse doesn't blow. When I plug the scoop coil back in the fuse blows again. Any thoughts?

Can someone tell me what Q? Transistor runs that coil on the driver board?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Steele, ND
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside