(Topic ID: 219714)

Roller Coaster Tycoon owners club. All are welcome.

By CoolCatPinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 678 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 hours ago by erak
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17086245809012815563084633662425 (resized).jpg
Shooter rod (resized).png
PXL_20240214_133628122 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
17072391242953913578907376808413 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240205_030956 (resized).jpg
IMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
received_343346438608608 (resized).jpeg
received_320795020353540 (resized).jpeg
stimpy-red-button (resized).png
received_1036223747682999 (resized).jpeg
received_878931270285572 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230927_214228617.MP.jpg
PXL_20230927_214239254.jpg
Screenshot_20230903_001633_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg

There are 678 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from StavrosMilos:

Anyone know what goes in the hole between the lamp and the post?[quoted image]

If memory serves me correctly, nothing. Its blank. I'm sure you'll get a confirmation soon.

#302 3 years ago

Anyone know what goes in the hole between the lamp and the post?[quoted image]

That's a good question. Mine has no hole, but does have the outline for it. Wonder what they had planned.

158707845490124027930 (resized).jpg158707845490124027930 (resized).jpg
#303 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

That's a good question. Mine has no hole, but does have the outline for it. Wonder what they had planned.[quoted image]

Wow, you just beat me to it. Mine also doesn’t have a hole, just the outline in the art. I need to go grab a drill, because someone stole my hole!

423FC620-2499-4E02-9749-BF313978330F (resized).jpeg423FC620-2499-4E02-9749-BF313978330F (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#304 3 years ago

Two things.

Does anyone have this plastic available by chance?

2nd can I get a picture of you left side spinner - what is that scrambled eggs ?

Thank you

4543C6E5-8DE6-473F-A0CA-5D317714582A (resized).jpeg4543C6E5-8DE6-473F-A0CA-5D317714582A (resized).jpeg
#305 3 years ago

Here ya go...

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/9030/plastic-4-for-roller-coaster-tycoon?c=0

Only catch is they don't ship to the US, hopefully you have a friend in Canada.

#306 3 years ago
15899772138851290951082 (resized).jpg15899772138851290951082 (resized).jpg
#307 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

[quoted image]

thanks mine had a rubber there and wasn’t sure it belonged! Is it just operated by ball momentum?

Jim

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

thanks mine had a rubber there and wasn’t sure it belonged! Is it just operated by ball momentum?
Jim

Yup, only spins when the ball hits it. Should spin freely (unlike one in Vermont that was locked up).

#309 3 years ago

To the group, I have a NOS RCT playfield. Selling it for $400.
Will ship, but shipping playfields is not cheap of late. Prices seem to be all over the place.

Thanks.

(Don't have the playfields next to it anymore.)

EUUW0462 (resized).jpegEUUW0462 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#310 3 years ago

New Member--Two days a RCT owner
Great forum--Question---Red wire Ramp to oblivion??
Take a look at the end of my red wire ramp (in pic). Took me awhile to notice, but obviously this is not correct.
The ball flies into the drain most times when I hit the right ramp. The wire does not appear broken and the red powder coat is intact even on the cut ends
The catch loop is just missing??? Is this an early production model flaw? Poor aftermarket replacement? Missing end piece?
Any idea where I can get the correct red wire ramp cheap?

rampic (resized).jpegrampic (resized).jpeg
#311 3 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9123-00

Hmmm, that's not good. At least the part is available. Welcome to the club! You look familiar.

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9123-00
Hmmm, that's not good. At least the part is available. Welcome to the club! You look familiar.

Thanks Jay,
Its even the least expensive one
Here is a pic of the quick cloths hanger fab to make the right ramp "playable". Works great, looks like hell. I'll get that ramp on order.

rampmod (resized).jpegrampmod (resized).jpeg
#313 3 years ago

I recently got a RCT. The upper right flipper is very weak. Is that by design or should it have full power like the main flippers?

Thanks for any help.

#314 3 years ago

No wire hangers!!!

Nice work though.

I see the machine on the RCT flyer has the same setup as yours. I guess your machine was one of the early ones or a prototype. Kinds cool. Your other ramp is missing the metal piece where the ball drop off the Flying Turns. There is no hole, so it was never there.

15943401387421155676513 (resized).jpg15943401387421155676513 (resized).jpg15943401625662075180631 (resized).jpg15943401625662075180631 (resized).jpg

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

I recently got a RCT. The upper right flipper is very weak. Is that by design or should it have full power like the main flippers?
Thanks for any help.

Mine is pretty powerfull. Hopefully just need to adjust the flipper a bit.

2 weeks later
#316 3 years ago

Going to maybe purchase a RCT.....is the troll doll 3 inches in height?

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Going to maybe purchase a RCT.....is the troll doll 3 inches in height?

Mine seems to be about 3.5 inches tall. Then the hair sticks up higher than that. It’s attached with a couple of wire ties around its legs. So they are pretty easy to replace.

#318 3 years ago

And 5 years later, I’m leaving the club.

So now that I no longer own the game, I can give my evaluation. For all 5 years I owned it, I still giggled at the start of the Multiball. It was the way the troll hopped up and down, and then screamed as the roller coaster went over the top to start it. It was just funny in a great way.

I didn’t find the teardown of the playfield to be that crazy. Not the easiest, but not even close to being considered hard.

I find that I still really like honest games like RCT. That was an interesting era for Stern.

I varied the setup of RCT more than any other game. I went back and forth over the years between Extra Hard, and Normal. I’d make it really hard, then switch it up. I’d then find it really fun for a while, but I’d also start getting Park Tycoon too much, and set it back to hard. It plays very different when you have to earn the handyman popping up.

I did always wish they could have altered the scoring a bit. But I feel that about a lot of games. I want a well played mode to reward me with big points.

The Super Jackpot was always a thrill. I liked the staging of the Handyman lining you up for the shot to The Rocket. And then a good callout as a reward. Well done.

I liked Pat’s design of the game. At first I was asking where was the ball when it was up top. But then I grew to understand, and liked it.

So overall I’m very glad I got to spend 5 years with RCT. I enjoyed owning it. And I think the new owners will also enjoy it. It was a fun little game.

7E1D81B0-0F27-4D28-AEE2-843ADD43BF6D (resized).jpeg7E1D81B0-0F27-4D28-AEE2-843ADD43BF6D (resized).jpeg

#319 3 years ago

Well stated sir. I do regret selling mine. Perhaps I'll own it again sometime in the future.

1 month later
#320 3 years ago

I added a fast changing rgb LED spotlight and a decal to my inverted ramp. It really animates that ramp and makes it way more enticing to hit. Cheap and easy.

3 weeks later
#321 3 years ago

Hello, I have recently become the owner of a RCT pinball machine. It is good to see loyal fans/owners of this fun game as well. I am in the process of updating and replacing worn parts. For the most part, my machine is in great condition. However, I am missing the "Chicago Loop" plastic from the left ramp. If you know anyone whom may have this piece available for purchase, I would appreciate your help.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Dr-Acula

loop (resized).jpgloop (resized).jpg
#322 3 years ago

Help please. Recently my 3 drop targets quit dropping in the lost ball cycle so now they are locking the ball(s) up there constantly. Before this week it would cycle a couple times and then drop, releasing the stuck ball. Targets drop and reset as they should when in test mode, but when playing if one gets stuck it’s there for good until I can knock them down from the front, go into test mode and drop, or literally push with finger. Any ideas where to start in order to remedy this? Thanks in advance.

#323 3 years ago

Help please. Recently my 3 drop targets quit dropping in the lost ball cycle so now they are locking the ball(s) up there constantly. Before this week it would cycle a couple times and then drop, releasing the stuck ball. Targets drop and reset as they should when in test mode, but when playing if one gets stuck it’s there for good until I can knock them down from the front, go into test mode and drop, or literally push with finger. Any ideas where to start in order to remedy this? Thanks in advance.

Figured out the issue. Stopped tripping altogether. Burned the coil. Now can’t find a replacement. All shops in US are out of stock. Anyone know where I can find part # 515-6916-01?

CA7278B7-FE8B-466C-9EE6-D78D31617515 (resized).jpegCA7278B7-FE8B-466C-9EE6-D78D31617515 (resized).jpeg
#324 3 years ago

Sound issue on RCTycoon. Speakers are way too loud and distorted, and volume control does nothing. I'm tempted to replace resistors at R110 and R106, and/or chips U26 and U30. I also found a POT on the driver board at R116. Does this look like a blown POT? Any sound help is appreciated.

PXL_20201025_212020293 (resized).jpgPXL_20201025_212020293 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#325 3 years ago

Hello? I am a French RCT owner. My pinball's left ramp is damaged and I want to change it. But I can't find it anywhere ! Who can help me ? Thanks!

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Sound issue on RCTycoon. Speakers are way too loud and distorted, and volume control does nothing. I'm tempted to replace resistors at R110 and R106, and/or chips U26 and U30. I also found a POT on the driver board at R116. Does this look like a blown POT? Any sound help is appreciated.

I learned that this POT does not affect sound. And, the sound issue was resolved. We replaced chips at U26 and U30. Sound is normal now.

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from damienwibaux:

Hello? I am a French RCT owner. My pinball's left ramp is damaged and I want to change it. But I can't find it anywhere ! Who can help me ? Thanks!

Nobody makes ramps for RCT. You will need to repair what you have. Cliffy makes a nice kit for the entrance of the right ramp that can cover damage. But I haven’t seen anything for the left. It’s really unfortunate.

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Nobody makes ramps for RCT. You will need to repair what you have. Cliffy makes a nice kit for the entrance of the right ramp that can cover damage. But I haven’t seen anything for the left. It’s really unfortunate.

I second this information. You may get lucky and find a used one or a very rare new old stock, but nobody makes reproductions

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I learned that this POT does not affect sound. And, the sound issue was resolved. We replaced chips at U26 and U30. Sound is normal now.

Excellent information, that type of troubleshooting is outside of my knowledge, so it's always good when others share their fixes.

#330 3 years ago

New to the ownership as of this week. First ever machine. I have a bad feeling I'll end up with half a dozen pinballs soon.

My plastic for EAT/Info (green and blue) on the right is in two pieces and doesnt look like it was ever meant to be a single piece. But there is clearly some old repair work. It works and looks fine (aside from some initial minor adjustments). But I'd like to know if this piece was meant to be a single piece of plastic or is it two?

Thanks!

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from JPKnapp:

New to the ownership as of this week. First ever machine. I have a bad feeling I'll end up with half a dozen pinballs soon.
My plastic for EAT/Info (green and blue) on the right is in two pieces and doesnt look like it was ever meant to be a single piece. But there is clearly some old repair work. It works and looks fine (aside from some initial minor adjustments). But I'd like to know if this piece was meant to be a single piece of plastic or is it two?
Thanks!

Single piece, and its almost always broken. Game specific parts for RCT such as that plastic are very difficult to find. Generic parts, like flipper coils, and switches are easy, since it's a Stern.

#332 3 years ago
Quoted from JPKnapp:

Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase! You can get that piece from pinball center. Only problem is the don't ship to the US. Shipping to Canada is cheap though. So if you have a friend up there they will hopefully help you out.

#333 3 years ago

I ordered stuff from pinball center last month and it was here in about 10 days. I am in the US.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/9030/plastic-4-for-roller-coaster-tycoon?c=0

#334 3 years ago

Did you have to contact them? Looks like I still can't get US shipping automatically. Thanks!

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Did you have to contact them? Looks like I still can't get US shipping automatically. Thanks!

No, I just ordered what I needed and it all went through fine. The web site still says worldwide shipping on it.

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

No, I just ordered what I needed and it all went through fine. The web site still says worldwide shipping on it.

Intetesting. When I put my address in it says shipping can't be calculated and automatically puts in some crazy shipping amount. I know pinsider Zitt put together group orders from them.

1604967468444852259566 (resized).jpg1604967468444852259566 (resized).jpg
#337 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Intetesting. When I put my address in it says shipping can't be calculated and automatically puts in some crazy shipping amount. I know pinsider Zitt put together group orders from them.[quoted image]

That doesn't look right. My shipping was a little high "I thought" but it was a big item, and it got here quick. I was surprised when it got here so fast.

#338 3 years ago

I need help diagnosing my first problem, ugh only 2 days into ownership. My main right flipper stopped working mid game. The upper works fine. A power off/on didn’t work and the fuses from under the play field have tested OK.

Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks all.

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from JPKnapp:

I need help diagnosing my first problem, ugh only 2 days into ownership. My main right flipper stopped working mid game. The upper works fine. A power off/on didn’t work and the fuses from under the play field have tested OK.

Stopped working completely? Stopped 8n the down or up position? Does the flipper move freely if you push it by hand?

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Stopped working completely? Stopped 8n the down or up position? Does the flipper move freely if you push it by hand?

It stopped in the down position and moves freely when moved by hand. The upper flipper works fine. I exchanged fuses with a working flipper and there was no effect.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from JPKnapp:

It stopped in the down position and moves freely when moved by hand. The upper flipper works fine. I exchanged fuses with a working flipper and there was no effect.

Seeing it moves freely by hand, the first place to look is wiring. Flipped coil wires commonly break right at the lug. Sometimes people that don’t know how to solder just wrapped it or taped it (ugh).

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from JPKnapp:

Lift the playfield Try checking out the nuts that hold the flipper shaft in place. It may have just come loose and you just need a wrench and Allen key to tighten it down

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Seeing it moves freely by hand, the first place to look is wiring. Flipped coil wires commonly break right at the lug. Sometimes people that don’t know how to solder just wrapped it or taped it (ugh).

I second this. Raise the playfield and inspect the wires where they solder onto the flipper coil. I've seen them come loose more than once. I've also seen them not soldered, but simply wrapped on. These games have a few years on them and it's not unusual to find some Jerry rigging going on under the playfield.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I second this. Raise the playfield and inspect the wires where they solder onto the flipper coil. I've seen them come loose more than once. I've also seen them not soldered, but simply wrapped on. These games have a few years on them and it's not unusual to find some Jerry rigging going on under the playfield.

Thanks for the assist here. I'm going to donate more to this site after this. Since I dont know exactly what I'm looking for, here are pictures of the flipper mech. Does anyone spot anything suspicious?

IMG_2707 (resized).jpgIMG_2707 (resized).jpgIMG_2708 (resized).jpgIMG_2708 (resized).jpgIMG_2709 (resized).jpgIMG_2709 (resized).jpg
#345 3 years ago
Quoted from JPKnapp:

Thanks for the assist here. I'm going to donate more to this site after this. Since I dont know exactly what I'm looking for, here are pictures of the flipper mech. Does anyone spot anything suspicious?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks to me like the EOS (End Of Stroke) switch, the switch to the side of the flipper coil, is completely disconnected. Because both sides are disconnected that isn't just a broken wire. It looks more like someone did that wrong. Like they bypassed the EOS due to a bad coil or something. Unless it took some kind of hit in there.

#346 3 years ago

Pretty rough solder work on the orange and blue flipper coil wires. Are they solidly attatched? The end of stroke switch seems to be disconnected entirely. I'm assuming the black wire there that's loose should be connected?? Someone has definitely done some shady work there in the past. No worries, its normal. I no longer have my RCT to compare to, but I'm sure its wiring after seeing the pics. Anyone else here, will a disconnected end of stroke switch cause flipper to quit working?

#347 3 years ago

Looks like the wires were removed from your EOS switch (the switch on the flipper assembly). Might have burnt up your coil if you've been holding the flipper up.

#348 3 years ago

Wow, 3 replies 23 seconds apart!

I'll take a look at mine when I get home in a hour or so.

#349 3 years ago

Got a black and a grey-yellow attached to my EOS switch.

16050385061371505589575 (resized).jpg16050385061371505589575 (resized).jpg16050385649821070690677 (resized).jpg16050385649821070690677 (resized).jpg
#350 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Might have burnt up your coil if you've been holding the flipper up.

This is probably it. I do tend to hold the flipper up a lot. So the flipper would have worked, but just got burnt out because the coil kept going trying to "open" the flipper? And the remedy is a new coil and getting those EOS wires connected to the right spot?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
There are 678 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roller-coaster-tycoon-owners-club-all-are-welcome/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.