(Topic ID: 219714)

Roller Coaster Tycoon owners club. All are welcome.

By CoolCatPinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 682 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by arcyallen
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1711859811966 (resized).jpg
17086245809012815563084633662425 (resized).jpg
Shooter rod (resized).png
PXL_20240214_133628122 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
17072391242953913578907376808413 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240205_030956 (resized).jpg
IMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
received_343346438608608 (resized).jpeg
received_320795020353540 (resized).jpeg
stimpy-red-button (resized).png
received_1036223747682999 (resized).jpeg
received_878931270285572 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230927_214228617.MP.jpg
PXL_20230927_214239254.jpg
There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
#201 4 years ago

Same here. Those cliffs are an absolute must have. My ramp entrance was broken aslo.

#202 4 years ago

Done!

It took a while to get it back together, but what a difference! It plays so much better. Part of that was how dirty it was, but part was the horrible lights in it, and LOTS of dead lights. Now it’s fast, smooth, and you can actually see. I had cardboard and painters tape covering that ramp damage so it couldn’t get worse, and now it just looks great. A bright and shiny pinball machine is a wonderful thing.

ECAA43CA-96B2-4DBD-9515-979E743A1E74 (resized).jpegECAA43CA-96B2-4DBD-9515-979E743A1E74 (resized).jpeg

(Pardon the crap photos, it really doesn’t capture how nice it looks in real life)

#203 4 years ago

Scribbles, I am back in the club haha.... bought another RCT the other day and just shopped it out and fixed a few issues on it. Left ramp is perfect, usually right ramp breaking on the right entrance but very nice overall.

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Scribbles, I am back in the club haha.... bought another RCT the other day and just shopped it out and fixed a few issues on it. Left ramp is perfect, usually right ramp breaking on the right entrance but very nice overall.

Awesome man!! We are still enjoying the hell out of the one I bought from you. Such an underrated game. Simple enough to learn the rules easily, but some challenging shots.

#205 4 years ago

My RCT won Best in Play: Modern (2000-present) at the Pintastic show in Sturbridge! I thought you guys might appreciate the topper I built. A functional model rollercoaster activated by the rocket shot. Here is a quick video my friend took:

2019-06-28 16.45.17 (resized).jpg2019-06-28 16.45.17 (resized).jpg

#206 4 years ago

Congrats! I saw the pics but didnt realize it was activated by the Rocket. That makes it even cooler than I thought.

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

My RCT won Best in Play: Modern (2000-present) at the Pintastic show in Sturbridge! I thought you guys might appreciate the topper I built. A functional model rollercoaster activated by the rocket shot. Here is a quick video my friend took:
[quoted image]

Well deserved. That was the nicest RCT I have ever seen. The coaster on top was just insane! Nice Job!

#208 4 years ago

All the sudden having 2 separate power issues. First being the game flickering and restarting.

Second being the flippers all the sudden randomly go dead. Like you feel them lose power mid flip and then you have to turn the machine on and off to reset them and then they work for awhile again and then repeat.

I’m still newer at repairs and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

All the sudden having 2 separate power issues. First being the game flickering and restarting.
Second being the flippers all the sudden randomly go dead. Like you feel them lose power mid flip and then you have to turn the machine on and off to reset them and then they work for awhile again and then repeat.
I’m still newer at repairs and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

do you have the stern driver or the rottendog one?

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

First being the game flickering and restarting.

The small connector at the middle of the bottom of the CPU board. Replace that IDC with a real pinned connector.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from mainelycoasters:

do you have the stern driver or the rottendog one?

A Rottendog MPU was put into the machine by the previous owner. I’m not sure the driver you’re referring to is on this MPU

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The small connector at the middle of the bottom of the CPU board. Replace that IDC with a real pinned connector.

Ok thanks. I’ll look into this

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

A Rottendog MPU was put into the machine by the previous owner. I’m not sure the driver you’re referring to is on this MPU

So rottendog driver board? I do not think Rottendog offers the MPU.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/driver-board-issue-rottendog-issue#post-3973522

1 week later
#214 4 years ago

Finally a member. This is kind of a dream theme. I love roller coasters and the gameplay and layout of this machine is pretty darn fun!

20190714_145552 (resized).jpg20190714_145552 (resized).jpg
#215 4 years ago

Welcome aboard!!

4 weeks later
#216 4 years ago

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, razor cut to size, and then darken all edges.

Please PM me if interested for ordering details (FYI, samples here are low-res, but printed cards will be high-res).

RCT - Free Play (resized).jpgRCT - Free Play (resized).jpgInstruction 1 (resized).jpgInstruction 1 (resized).jpgInstruction 2 (resized).jpgInstruction 2 (resized).jpgInstruction 3 (resized).jpgInstruction 3 (resized).jpg
#217 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, razor cut to size, and then darken all edges.
Please PM me if interested for ordering details (FYI, samples here are low-res, but printed cards will be high-res).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty awesome looking cards! Do you make them for other machines as well?

#218 4 years ago

Not in the club, but I want to be! If anyone has a good one for sale in Central/Western PA please give me a shout.

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Not in the club, but I want to be! If anyone has a good one for sale in Central/Western PA please give me a shout.

I was able to snag mine in Pittsburgh from a CL wanted ad. The seller even offered to deliver. Not everyone on CL is a scammer. Might try an ad there. Good luck with your search.

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I was able to snag mine in Pittsburgh from a CL wanted ad. The seller even offered to deliver. Not everyone on CL is a scammer. Might try an ad there. Good luck with your search.

I'll have to keep an eye on CL! Thanks.

#221 4 years ago

Mr_Tantrum's cards are now installed. Looking good...

20190820_165546 (resized).jpg20190820_165546 (resized).jpg
#222 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Mr_Tantrum's cards are now installed. Looking good...[quoted image]

Looks good man! I'm missing mine, but I had to make room

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Looks good man! I'm missing mine, but I had to make room

I can understand for sure. Did the new machine arrive yet?

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I can understand for sure. Did the new machine arrive yet?

Nope, lol. Kind of bummed about it since folks are starting to get theirs, but hopefully by mid next week

1 month later
#225 4 years ago

Can anyone with a rct please help me out.
A friend of mine has this pin, and his troll won’t bounce up and down as it should. I didn’t have much time so I couldn’t run a test on it, but I checked underneath and the pole slides up and down freely, the wires are attached, and the solenoid looks to be in decent shape.
My question is though, is there supposed to be a spring underneath? This one doesn’t have one and I’m not sure if it’s aupposed to or not. It has a small spring visible from the topside behind the red target. But no spring under the playfield on that mech.
Any confirmation towards if a spring should be there or not would be awesome. Thanks!

EE067463-7C48-4FFA-A681-F2F6E237F9D3 (resized).jpegEE067463-7C48-4FFA-A681-F2F6E237F9D3 (resized).jpeg

CC816677-DD0E-49AC-8E29-D1E6C1488C06 (resized).jpegCC816677-DD0E-49AC-8E29-D1E6C1488C06 (resized).jpeg

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Can anyone with a rct please help me out.
A friend of mine has this pin, and his troll won’t bounce up and down as it should. I didn’t have much time so I couldn’t run a test on it, but I checked underneath and the pole slides up and down freely, the wires are attached, and the solenoid looks to be in decent shape.
My question is though, is there supposed to be a spring underneath? This one doesn’t have one and I’m not sure if it’s aupposed to or not. It has a small spring visible from the topside behind the red target. But no spring under the playfield on that mech.
Any confirmation towards if a spring should be there or not would be awesome. Thanks!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That is correct, there is a spring above the playfield behind the red target. The troll normally sits in the up position and the coil pulls it down.

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That is correct, there is a spring above the playfield behind the red target. The troll normally sits in the up position and the coil pulls it down.

Ah ok, thanks Dave!
So if it’s not supposed to have a spring below too, then the problem must be something else. I’ll set aside some time to go there and run the test mode.
Thanks again

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

[quoted image]

That Roller coaster is really awesome! What toy rollercoaster set is that? I might want to try this on my game.

#229 4 years ago

If someone is looking for rct, i have one available in central Illinois and can bring it to expo

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

That Roller coaster is really awesome! What toy rollercoaster set is that? I might want to try this on my game.

It's half coaster dynamix model set and half 3D printed/made by me. These model kits are nearly unobtainium these days and all I could source was some misc parts. Had to make the rest.

2 weeks later
#231 4 years ago

Just joined the RollerCoaster club. I don't like them in real life, but I'm loving the game. We just got it last week and I've already put new LEDs in it. It looks amazing! The game was home use only and is great shape. It needed all new rubbers and a really thorough cleaning/waxing. I was even shocked at how well it came out.

Just for fun, I made a little video showing the game and the LEDs. I used Sunlight for the GI lighting. I tried some Natural whites and it looked a little weird to me. I like the Sunlight bulbs better. The playfield insert bulbs that are white are Natural. They didn't make non-ghosting in Sunlight. I'm actually liking the Natural white bulbs in the white inserts. I also put a few flex type bulbs here and there where you see the bulb directly when playing. I don't like that at all, so I used flex bulbs.

Loving the game!

#232 4 years ago

Cool video, welcome to the club!

#233 4 years ago

Fun game, you'll enjoy it!

#234 4 years ago

Figured I should post this here in case any RCT people didn't see my cake thread. Lotta work on this one...

20191020_104426 (resized).jpg20191020_104426 (resized).jpg
#236 4 years ago

Has anyone put a shaker into their RCT? I found a universal one that’s supposed to be compatible with SAM/Whitestar games. I’m torn on getting it because they run about $200 and would want to know that it’ll be well worth it before I pull the trigger on getting one. Any info helps

#237 4 years ago

I'm planning to, will be a nice surprise for the kids. I think we have 2 options. Pinshakers, which would be based on when a coil is fired. Or PinSounds that can be based on sounds. Not sure if you can get a standalone without the pinsound device yet. That would be preferable to me.

#238 4 years ago

jaytrem

It’s our first machine and I seem to want all the mods on it for some reason? that would be an awesome suprise

I was looking more at the pinshakers one, to pair it with the pop bumpers and rocket shot. Maybe just to play around and try a bunch of the different options with it. Being super new to owning a pinball machine, I’ve watched their installation video and it seems rather complex. I guess I’d have to look deep into the instruction manual for the exact pieces already existing on the boards.

I was also looking at the different cab lighting kits. I’m not certain I’d want to go with an interactive one. Just wish I knew more about all the inside open sockets/ hook ups for these mods

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyRipples:

I was also looking at the different cab lighting kits. I’m not certain I’d want to go with an interactive one. Just wish I knew more about all the inside open sockets/ hook ups for these mods

When I had an RCT I used the lighting kit from Rock Pinball. I highly recommend their kit. https://www.rockcustompinball.com/product-page/roller-coarster-tycoon

#240 4 years ago

Everyone was new owning a machine at one time. Soon you'll be fixing up a bunch of stuff and probably own 5 more pins. Just gotta get in there and go for it. Lots of youtube videos out there to help and people on here are also great.

RCT is definitely my most modded machine. The rest I wanted to keep more original. I hate the troll so he had to go. Initially bought a ghost, for the dunk tank, but that didn't really make much sense. Ended up putting him over the Flying Ghost track and am very happy with him. Turns out Fisher Price little people area perfect fit for the dunk tank, so I put one of them in there. Next came the Color DMD. Then I successfully nagged Tilt Graphics into making these game blades...

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/rollercoaster-tycoon-gameblades

I think they sold at least 3 sets! Last thing I added was a LEDOCD, tried a couple different brands but couldn't seem to get rid of ghosting LEDs. Would love to get a shaker, and that would probably be about it.

jaytrem
It’s our first machine and I seem to want all the mods on it for some reason? that would be an awesome suprise
I was looking more at the pinshakers one, to pair it with the pop bumpers and rocket shot. Maybe just to play around and try a bunch of the different options with it. Being super new to owning a pinball machine, I’ve watched their installation video and it seems rather complex. I guess I’d have to look deep into the instruction manual for the exact pieces already existing on the boards.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

When I had an RCT I used the lighting kit from Rock Pinball. I highly recommend their kit. https://www.rockcustompinball.com/product-page/roller-coarster-tycoon

Thanks for the advice! I’ll have to check them out, might end up being a Christmas gift for dad

Quoted from jaytrem:

Lots of youtube videos out there to help and people on here are also great.
RCT is definitely my most modded machine. The rest I wanted to keep more original. I hate the troll so he had to go. Initially bought a ghost, for the dunk tank, but that didn't really make much sense. Ended up putting him over the Flying Ghost track and am very happy with him. Turns out Fisher Price little people area perfect fit for the dunk tank, so I put one of them in there. Next came the Color DMD. Then I successfully nagged Tilt Graphics into making these game blades...
I think they sold at least 3 sets! Last thing I added was a LEDOCD, tried a couple different brands but couldn't seem to get rid of ghosting LEDs. Would love to get a shaker, and that would probably be about it.

I do love that little ghost guy you put on there haha, and those art blades make a HUGE difference too, that might be one of the things I go for way later on after cab lights and a shaker. I might need a second job to fund this pinball addiction

#242 4 years ago
Quoted from redman822:When I had an RCT I used the lighting kit from Rock Pinball. I highly recommend their kit. https://www.rockcustompinball.com/product-page/roller-coarster-tycoon

I also own this kit. Its awesome! top notch customer service too!

#243 4 years ago

Any advise helps,

I have this new problem with the left flipper, if you hold the button, the flipper will go up for a moment then drop down again, and go up again and hold.. and after so long, it’ll go down again. It’s not every single time, it’ll start to act this way and then other times it’s normal. This just started happening last night. Any advice on how to fix it? I can post pictures of it tomorrow if that helps, of the inside behind the flipper. The problem affects both of the left flippers. I’m guessing a wire may have come lose and just needs to be soldered?

Thanks!

#244 4 years ago

Any advise helps,
I have this new problem with the left flipper, if you hold the button, the flipper will go up for a moment then drop down again, and go up again and hold.. and after so long, it’ll go down again. It’s not every single time, it’ll start to act this way and then other times it’s normal. This just started happening last night. Any advice on how to fix it? I can post pictures of it tomorrow if that helps, of the inside behind the flipper. The problem affects both of the left flippers. I’m guessing a wire may have come lose and just needs to be soldered?
Thanks!

I'm sure someone will chime in with better info than me, but behind the flipper theres a double layered leaf switch. I'd start by inspecting the contact points and wiring on that first. Do both left flippers do this behavior in unison?

#245 4 years ago

If you don't get any good help here you might want to create a new thread. I'm sure a lot more people will see it and hopefully help out.

Since it's both flippers I guess that eliminates a bad coil. Maybe clean the contacts by the flipper button to start (with contact cleaner, not a file or sand paper). Cheap and easy and good chance nobody bothered to do it in the last 15 years. Also check the switch spacing, tools like this are very handy for adjusting...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SWK-B

There are a number of different shapes and lengths.

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I'm sure someone will chime in with better info than me, but behind the flipper theres a double layered leaf switch. I'd start by inspecting the contact points and wiring on that first. Do both left flippers do this behavior in unison?

Yea they both either go up or down. So I’ll take a look at the switch down there after work tonight. Thank you!

Quoted from jaytrem:

If you don't get any good help here you might want to create a new thread. I'm sure a lot more people will see it and hopefully help out.
Since it's both flippers I guess that eliminates a bad coil. Maybe clean the contacts by the flipper button to start (with contact cleaner, not a file or sand paper). Cheap and easy and good chance nobody bothered to do it in the last 15 years. Also check the switch spacing, tools like this are very handy for adjusting...
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SWK-B
There are a number of different shapes and lengths.

Thank you! I’ll look into getting one of those tools to see if that’s the simple fix. I hope it is, I’ll keep you updated if I get it fixed or not. Also started a new thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-issue-on-rct#post-5278092

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Everyone was new owning a machine at one time. Soon you'll be fixing up a bunch of stuff and probably own 5 more pins. Just gotta get in there and go for it. Lots of youtube videos out there to help and people on here are also great.

I plan on ordering some of those game blades too, so that will be 4 sets they sell!

About the ghosting, I just put LEDs in mine and I'm not having any ghosting issues. I used non-ghosting bulbs from Comet Pinball throught the game (not including the G.I. which doesn't need them). For the flashers I used the 9smd tower flashers ( https://www.cometpinball.com/products/9smd-flashers ).

If you notice some weird "ghosting" in the flashers, the game is doing that on purpose. When I had the incandescent bulbs in there, I noticed that they flash full brightness, then do a short burst of flashes at about half brightness. I like the effect and was worried that I'd lose it with the LEDs, but those flasher towers still seem to do an OK job of replicating this effect. It isn't quite and good as the regular bulbs, but it still has a similar effect.

#248 4 years ago

Update: flipper issue went away, if it occurs again I’ll clean the connectors, but until then, smooth sailing! Thank you for the advice jaytrem and CoolCatPinball

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from Sleepdroid:

I plan on ordering some of those game blades too, so that will be 4 sets they sell!

Did you get them? I looked and it said out of stock on their site.

#250 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Did you get them? I looked and it said out of stock on their site.

I believe these are the same ones and are in stock

https://cointaker.com/products/rollercoaster-tycoon-gameblades

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roller-coaster-tycoon-owners-club-all-are-welcome/page/5?hl=hawkeyexx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.