(Topic ID: 219714)

Roller Coaster Tycoon owners club. All are welcome.

By CoolCatPinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 682 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by arcyallen
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1711859811966 (resized).jpg
17086245809012815563084633662425 (resized).jpg
Shooter rod (resized).png
PXL_20240214_133628122 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
17072391242953913578907376808413 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240205_030956 (resized).jpg
IMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
received_343346438608608 (resized).jpeg
received_320795020353540 (resized).jpeg
stimpy-red-button (resized).png
received_1036223747682999 (resized).jpeg
received_878931270285572 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230927_214228617.MP.jpg
PXL_20230927_214239254.jpg
There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
#151 5 years ago

Wow jaytrem Thanks a lot for all the pics taken, it helped me getting all finished up, with the machine! Thanks again, a big help!

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from junkwavepete:

Wow jaytrem Thanks a lot for all the pics taken, it helped me getting all finished up, with the machine! Thanks again, a big help!

Glad I could help!

#153 5 years ago

Check it out guys and gals. I made my own "arena" style lighting for my RCT. Before and after is a huge improvement in lighting. I actually seem to be playing a bit better since the install. Perhaps because I can see the ball better? Who knows.

20190213_183552 (resized).jpg20190213_183552 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#154 5 years ago

Just picked mine up last weekend. It was routed, but it's in great condition. Playfield is a solid 10, ramps all look good. Working on putting a LED kit in it and changing out the rubbers. Color DMD is on it's way.

Two "big" issues that I'm having: 1) The Auto Launch is not very strong and doesn't get the ball out of the shooter lane. 2) A ball will get behind the 3 drop targets and when the ball search kicks in, it won't drop the targets and the ball gets "stuck" in there. Any thoughts?

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from coasterdudebob:

Just picked mine up last weekend. It was routed, but it's in great condition. Playfield is a solid 10, ramps all look good. Working on putting a LED kit in it and changing out the rubbers. Color DMD is on it's way.
Two "big" issues that I'm having: 1) The Auto Launch is not very strong and doesn't get the ball out of the shooter lane. 2) A ball will get behind the 3 drop targets and when the ball search kicks in, it won't drop the targets and the ball gets "stuck" in there. Any thoughts?

On #1, maybe just a weak solenoid? I forget if there are adjustments for auto launch strength in the game settings. On #2, the center drop target should drop down on it's own under certain circumstances so the ball doesn't get stuck. When you power your machine on, does the center drop target pop up at first, then drop down a few seconds later? Welcome aboard by by the way Its a fun game and will grow on you.

#156 5 years ago

2) A ball will get behind the 3 drop targets and when the ball search kicks in, it won't drop the targets and the ball gets "stuck" in there. Any thoughts?

Not reading ball. Guessing the opto back there isnt working. If its fried you can buy parts to fix. Known issues is the coil wire touches metal bracket which then fried the opto. Took me weeks to figure that one out and many board rebuilds.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Not reading ball. Guessing the opto back there isnt working. If its fried you can buy parts to fix. Known issues is the coil wire touches metal bracket which then fried the opto. Took me weeks to figure that one out and many board rebuilds.

An opto behind the 3 drop targets? I dont see that on mine. The center target just drops on ball launch, and a few other times automatically. I believe during ball search is one of them.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

An opto behind the 3 drop targets? I dont see that on mine. The center target just drops on ball launch, and a few other times automatically. I believe during ball search is one of them.

Sorry my mistake I thought you had a mode start issue at the custodian single target.

#159 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the help so far on this. It was an opto on the trough that was out, which has been replaced. Also corrected the auto launch. The shooter rod had a weak/compressed barrel spring on the outside of the cabinet. I replaced it and the auto launch started working great. I'm assuming that the two were somehow related.

I ran through the coil test and the 3 target bank will not trip. It will reset, but not trip at all, so at least I know where to start looking on this.

Happy to be part of the club. I waited two years to find a good deal on a RCT. Very happy to have one.

#160 5 years ago

I would check switch 31 to make sure it’s registering for the 3 drop bank target.

A3B6BABE-A4CC-44FC-856C-A85840BF0FA6 (resized).pngA3B6BABE-A4CC-44FC-856C-A85840BF0FA6 (resized).png

#161 5 years ago

Hello Everyone,

New member here, this is pretty cool to see all the mods. I have turned my Rollercoaster Tycoon into a wacky sort of exercise machine by installing a sit-n-cycle in front of it. It's a pretty sweet workout.

However, I have a problem with my machine. There is a ball stuck at the bottom of the rocket. I have tried removing the glass and fishing the ball out with my hands and a screwdriver, but there is no way to get the ball back out the way it went in from the bottom, it has to go up the tube to get out. For some reason, the rocket hasn't fired. (I don't really understand how the rocket mechanism works inside the square metal tube) I have never had any trouble with the rocket before, I think it somehow got jammed during a multiball.

Of course, I can still play the machine, but the stuck ball isn't going anywhere, so I can never hit the rocket and get a super jackpot, etc.

Any ideas?

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from setagneb:

Hello Everyone,
New member here, this is pretty cool to see all the mods. I have turned my Rollercoaster Tycoon into a wacky sort of exercise machine by installing a sit-n-cycle in front of it. It's a pretty sweet workout.
However, I have a problem with my machine. There is a ball stuck at the bottom of the rocket. I have tried removing the glass and fishing the ball out with my hands and a screwdriver, but there is no way to get the ball back out the way it went in from the bottom, it has to go up the tube to get out. For some reason, the rocket hasn't fired. (I don't really understand how the rocket mechanism works inside the square metal tube) I have never had any trouble with the rocket before, I think it somehow got jammed during a multiball.
Of course, I can still play the machine, but the stuck ball isn't going anywhere, so I can never hit the rocket and get a super jackpot, etc.
Any ideas?

Welcome! A magnet should do the trick. If you magnetize the screwdriver that might even be strong enough. Good chance it's not going to be a 1 time issue though.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from setagneb:

Hello Everyone,
Any ideas?

you should be able to lift the play field and it should about fall out, if not you can use your had to hit the kicker and pop it out.
But as Taytrem said, there is some other issue likely. maybe a bad coil sleeve or coil or may need to be cleaned.
Good luck.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from setagneb:

Hello Everyone,
Any ideas?

Sounds like it is the micro switch. And yeah a telescopic magnet will work to pull the ball out. Have any pictures of your exercise set up?

#165 5 years ago

Ok, I was able to get the ball out by using a screwdriver to hold the little metal wire gate open and a cow magnet to pull the ball out. Played another round and it's clear that the rocket is just not firing at all.

I've had this machine for maybe 10 years, so I guess some part was bound to fail eventually... For a few years I've had some issues with the strength of the left flipper (and this flipper is still a little wacky sometimes even today) but nothing else needing serious service until now.

Pic of my setup is attached... it's not much to look at, but it lines up nicely so that the flipper buttons are at about the same height as the handlebars of a bike. It works pretty well, instead of standing still while playing, I can get in some cardio.

IMG_4030 (resized).JPGIMG_4030 (resized).JPG
#166 5 years ago
Quoted from setagneb:

Ok, I was able to get the ball out by using a screwdriver to hold the little metal wire gate open and a cow magnet to pull the ball out. Played another round and it's clear that the rocket is just not firing at all.
I've had this machine for maybe 10 years, so I guess some part was bound to fail eventually... For a few years I've had some issues with the strength of the left flipper (and this flipper is still a little wacky sometimes even today) but nothing else needing serious service until now.
Pic of my setup is attached... it's not much to look at, but it lines up nicely so that the flipper buttons are at about the same height as the handlebars of a bike. It works pretty well, instead of standing still while playing, I can get in some cardio.
[quoted image]

Awesome idea!!! How clever

#167 5 years ago

Check it out guys and gals. I made my own "arena" style lighting for my RCT. Before and after is a huge improvement in lighting. I actually seem to be playing a bit better since the install. Perhaps because I can see the ball better? Who knows.
[quoted image]

looks awesome...Hard to do?

Are there decals avail for the 3 drop targets in the back left?

Going to clean mine up. Is there a correct color rubber guide to new rubbers avail yet?

Thx.

#169 5 years ago

Listening to Oktoberfest stream last night while working. I could have sworn some of the sounds are the same or very close to the rct reaction sounds. Specifically the snack bar shot sound and end of ball.

#170 5 years ago

Anyone have any issues with bottom right flipper? Picked my RCT up about 2 months ago and worked fine. Then one day the Bottom Right flipper quit, replaced fuze blew again, replaced coil along with diode and still not working. Replaced Q16 Transistor and still nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

#171 5 years ago

So I had an issue with the 3 drop target bank not dropping the middle target. The coil for the mechanism needed replaced and I did. Now, the middle drop target always drops a second or so after a reset during game play. I've adjusted the position mechanism to no avail. Does anyone have any advice on this? (Photos are appreciated.) Minus this one issue, the game is 100%.

#172 5 years ago

So I had an issue with the 3 drop target bank not dropping the middle target. The coil for the mechanism needed replaced and I did. Now, the middle drop target always drops a second or so after a reset during game play. I've adjusted the position mechanism to no avail. Does anyone have any advice on this? (Photos are appreciated.) Minus this one issue, the game is 100%.

That is what it is supposed to do. Off the top of my head it should stay up during the Dunk the Dummy modes.

#173 5 years ago

Pinballew is correct

#174 5 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation of this. I had hoped that would be the case as it made sense, but it just seemed odd. Looks like I have a 100% working machine.

3 weeks later
#175 5 years ago

Need a little advice. The left side diverter on my machine has started activating a bit too soon sometimes. So, when the ball ejects from the lock lane on the left, it bumps into the back of the diverter gate instead of shooting up and around to the blue wire form. It doesnt do it all the time, bit is becoming more regular. Anyone have any ideas? I'll attatch a pic of the diverter in question.

15557795943966035604012843832636 (resized).jpg15557795943966035604012843832636 (resized).jpg
#176 5 years ago

If I take the glass off and remove the black cover, the mechanism looks fine. I can open the coin door to disable the plunger, place a ball in the lock lane, then close the coin door and the ball will eject as it should. However, about half the time, the diverter arm drops down and causes the problem.

#177 5 years ago

That diverter should only activate when the Chicago loop switch activates and the lock isn’t lit...so maybe that switch needs replacing. Are you shooting the Chicago loop when the lock isn’t lit and it’s falling into the left kickback missing the diverter?

#178 5 years ago

Hey i'm a recent addition to the owners club and a newbie at all the electronics involved.
I have a quick question, the long leaf on the EOS switch on the right flipper broke, and i'm not sure if i need to hold of on playing until i get a replacement in?

The manual is a bit cryptic for me (English isn't my native language).
If i'm reading it correctly it decides to pulse the flipper when holding the button, instead of switching to another circuit upon the EOS switch opening, which i've read about is what (usually?) happens on other pinball machines.

From the manual:
"If it continues to detect a Flipper Cabinet Switch closure (the player holding the button) it will continue to pulse the flipper drive transistor 1msec every 12msecs for the duration of the hold cycle"

So seems it doesn't need the EOS switch for that and EOS switch is only used for when a ball forces the flipper back?

From the manual again:
"The E.O.S. (End-Of-Stroke) serves the same function as before as it prevents foldback when the player has the flipper energized to capture balls.
The E.O.S. Switch is a normally closed switch which opens approximately 1/16" when the flipper is energized. The Game CPU will detect a switch closure if the flipper bat is forced back by a high velocity shot or rebound on the playfield and will apply another 40msec pulse of 50v DC to the coil."

Just trying to make sure i'm comprehending the manual here so i don't do further damage to my machine by playing it.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

That diverter should only activate when the Chicago loop switch activates and the lock isn’t lit...so maybe that switch needs replacing. Are you shooting the Chicago loop when the lock isn’t lit and it’s falling into the left kickback missing the diverter?

No. An example is this: Lock isn't lit. You hit the rocket and the ball goes down the yellow wire form, and drops into the lock lane. BUT, since lock isn't lit, the game will kick the ball out of the lock lane up around the plastic ramp, and down the blue wireform. That's normal. However, my issue is when the game goes to eject the ball up and around, the diverter drops down and bumps the ball.

#180 4 years ago

[quoted image]

How did you install these without the left diverter and Chicago loop sign blocking you?

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

How did you install these without the left diverter and Chicago loop sign blocking you?

They're on magnetic strips so you just pull them down to raise the playfield. They fit fine once the playfield is in place

#182 4 years ago

They're on magnetic strips so you just pull them down to raise the playfield. They fit fine once the playfield is in place

I know how they function, but when I went to install mine there wasn't enough room in between those playfield items and the glass to Install the actual lights short of cutting a corner off the Chicago loop sign. I guess I'll screw with it some more.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I know how they function, but when I went to install mine there wasn't enough room in between those playfield items and the glass to Install the actual lights short of cutting a corner off the Chicago loop sign. I guess I'll screw with it some more.

That's odd, mine just fit. No issues

3 weeks later
#184 4 years ago

I picked up my RCT a couple years ago. Didn't even know there was a club, but I'm joining it now.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from Aggie:

I picked up my RCT a couple years ago. Didn't even know there was a club, but I'm joining it now.

Sweet!!! Glad to have another member!

#186 4 years ago

I will also throw in as another owner who is looking to buy a replacement right ramp. At least mine works, but it is broken on the sides. I have a Cliffy's on order and think that'll help protect it from further damage. Hope it's not too difficult to install.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Aggie:

I will also throw in as another owner who is looking to buy a replacement right ramp. At least mine works, but it is broken on the sides. I have a Cliffy's on order and think that'll help protect it from further damage. Hope it's not too difficult to install.

It's a PAIN IN THE ASS to install.......lol. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I kind of rigged mine in place and gave up on one screw completely.

#188 4 years ago

It's a PAIN IN THE ASS to install.......lol. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I kind of rigged mine in place and gave up on one screw completely.

Yeah, I did mine a couple weeks ago. Not going to disagree, it is a pain but worth it. I did manage to get all the screws in, but my sliced post cover thingy fell off and it now under the corner of the ramp. I don't see myself bothering to put it back in.

1 week later
#189 4 years ago

Can someone scan their repairman drop target? Mine is just white as well.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from mikedetroit:

Can someone scan their repairman drop target? Mine is just white as well.

I found a set of stickers including the handyman along with an unbroken eat/info plastic here on the pinside classifieds. I'm thinking I may have a small batch of drop target stickers made if the cost is reasonable. I bet theres a minimum though

#191 4 years ago

[quoted image]

I just picked up a RCT. Never played it before but it felt like it was missing something when it came to lighting and seeing what you did solves it for me. Mines too dark.

Any way to tell me what you did to for the arena lighting or a screenshot of your order of where you got it from? I want to do the exact same thing!

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

I just picked up a RCT. Never played it before but it felt like it was missing something when it came to lighting and seeing what you did solves it for me. Mines too dark.
Any way to tell me what you did to for the arena lighting or a screenshot of your order of where you got it from? I want to do the exact same thing!

12v clear led strips from Amazon. 12v power supply from Amazon. Magnetic strip tape from a local craft store, and some minor wiring. The hardest thing to locate was the right angle plastic that the LEDs mount to. I found those online from a company called outwater plastics. Just wire it all together and done.
I should also say, that if you just want to buy a complete kit and not hassle with making one, Pinstadium makes a more comprehensive, high quality kit. They're a great company to deal with as well.

#193 4 years ago

Noticed that the music in the game has become very faint and also very staticy when you are able to hear it when you get right up to the speaker. The sound effects are loud and clear though.

Which EPROM # would I need to replace to fix the music issue, assuming it is a EPROM issue?

#194 4 years ago

I finally made my first pinball purchase a couple of months ago after watching pinball videos on YouTube. Yes, I bought RCT remembering that I enjoyed playing this machine many years ago. The purchase was definitely a good learning experience for me. I now realize what I should be looking for when purchasing a machine. It was a routed game and definitely treated that way. The rubbers which you really can't get to without removing the ramps were crumbling apart. I ended up removing everything except for a few posts and the stand-up targets from the playfield to give me room to give it a good deep cleaning and wax.

So I was going to ask if there should be a ROM at location U37 and just found my answer in the manual. Yes, it's supposed to be empty. Instead I'll share a before and after pic. I'm not going to comment on my troll doll. All I'll say is that I bought it that way and it appears you can find it on Amazon.

LXXVS0kXST22D4AshC01Hg.jpgLXXVS0kXST22D4AshC01Hg.jpg6opjuSEfSzKZD-mRwaBbSA.jpg6opjuSEfSzKZD-mRwaBbSA.jpg
#195 4 years ago

Love the Trump doll. Saw that on Amazon and wondered if it was the right size. Definitely answered that question for me. Thanks!

#196 4 years ago

Finally tearing this thing down.

607D1509-953E-4351-AECB-DD049A2E5ADA (resized).jpeg607D1509-953E-4351-AECB-DD049A2E5ADA (resized).jpeg

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Finally tearing this thing down.

Looks like a major project!!

#198 4 years ago

Looks like a major project!!

It is. Not quite "Demo Man" territory, but a fairly complex little game. But it had to be done. I don't think the ramps had ever been out of this game, and they were just covered in black dust underneath. The kind of dirt where you have to clean them with a rag before actually trying to clean them. But it will be worth it. The playfield looks tons better now, and I finally got to yank out every one of the crappy LEDs that were in it and replace them with good ones in a normal warm white. Now I just need to finish cleaning it and then the fun of putting it back together

#199 4 years ago

Just Incase you were ever thinking of fully shopping a RCT, what a pain of a jigsaw it is. However, one bonus is this. Cliffy makes a really nice ramp protector for the right ramp. This is my right ramp.

6325A9AB-B6D4-463F-BAAF-523E20E7E9CF (resized).jpeg6325A9AB-B6D4-463F-BAAF-523E20E7E9CF (resized).jpeg

Not a disaster, but not good. This is pretty standard damage. However, now...

9D91716B-6F55-4A1E-8177-8B71D9F7B700 (resized).jpeg9D91716B-6F55-4A1E-8177-8B71D9F7B700 (resized).jpeg

The Cliffys totally cover that, and a lot more of the ramp. The thing I wanted to show here is how far up they go. If you have damage, these things cover a long way. And if you don’t, well I’d say they are worth it, because there are no replacement ramps. That’s my PSA, now back to my PITA.

#200 4 years ago

Looks good, I put my Cliffys on about a month ago. Pain in the butt, but worth it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
There are 682 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roller-coaster-tycoon-owners-club-all-are-welcome/page/4?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.