(Topic ID: 176783)

Rogue One vs The Force Awakens (Spoilers Inside)?

By Xerico

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Disney Star Wars movie was better?”

• Rogue One 119 votes
      61%
    • The Force Awakens 76 votes
      39%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jj (resized).png
    IMG_9258 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2664 (resized).JPG
    wj9lk8 (resized).jpg
    vewHEXO (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 7 years ago

To me Rogue One is unquestionably the best Star Wars flick in over 30 years. In other words I'm really surprised to see 40% vote for TFA.

Rogue One is a far better prequel to the original trilogy than I-III...the action was tense, and the treatment of the rebel alliance was on par with Episode IV. In contrast TFA felt contrived... the handling of the Force was contradictory to the original trilogy, the villain was anemic, and the entire story felt like a Disney reboot centering around a Death Star, again. Not that it was bad, but a reboot is no addition to the saga like Rogue One.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

I thought the Tarkin CGI was adequate, but I am surprised they did not do a better job with the coarse looking Leia CGI. Move the camera back or add some smoke. UGH, too fake!

I agree with all of that... Tarkin integration was pretty good, but I felt like the movie was interrupted with a commercial for an upcoming Rogue One video game simply because of the closeups. With some of the video game commercials it also takes a couple moments to register it is CGI, but it is unmistakable and ultimately distracting as I start focusing on the unnatural eye and mouth movement rather than the dialogue. It's fine in the movie, but the director needs to do a better job working around its issues.

2 weeks later
    #195 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Unfortunately whether we like it or not, Star Wars is now being aimed at the younger audience

That happened in 1983 when ROTJ came out. It was renamed from "Revenge of the Jedi" to make it kid friendly, and gave extended screen time to a tribe of teddy bears. Most viewers beyond 10 years old were disappointed in the direction, and it didn't have the same rabid repeat viewings as the prior two.

#207 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Spot on! It was like saying to the fans "Only certain people can use the force, no matter how dedicated they are to learning the ways of the Force or train".
    My biggest problems with them prequels is that the stories smack of being "Fan fiction".

Reality is that Rogue One and The Force Awakens are, in fact, fan fiction, not written or directed by George Lucas. Unfortunately Lucas did not do a great job outlining the universe and its characters like George RR Martin or JRR Tolkien tended to use to frame their books. It's why the Star Wars movies are inconsistent, and why some of the fan fiction is arguably better than Lucas' own vision.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rogue-one-vs-the-force-awakens-spoilers-inside?tu=Baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.