(Topic ID: 176783)

Rogue One vs The Force Awakens (Spoilers Inside)?

By Xerico

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Disney Star Wars movie was better?”

• Rogue One 119 votes
      61%
    • The Force Awakens 76 votes
      39%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jj (resized).png
    IMG_9258 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2664 (resized).JPG
    wj9lk8 (resized).jpg
    vewHEXO (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no, i was four in 1977 when the original came out. I saw ROTJ in 83 at the theater. I was 10.

D'oh! Clearly I'm the fetus based on my reading comprehension ....

#152 7 years ago

It's definitely not unheard of making changes while still in theaters.

I had a buddy who had seen Batman '89 on opening day. He recalls the "Is it Halloween?" scene shown on his viewing; all of us went the following week - the scene was nixed.

I was skeptical at first till I collected the trading cards. Sure enough, there was a card for that exact scene.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

There are only 2 Alien movies.
    I'm putting the others in the same bin as SW 1-2-3 And maybe 7 too.

3 is flawed but could have been great given the talent of the director and I don't remember much of 4.

Is it 3 or 4 that has that great shot of a shaved Ripley being stared down by a Xeno?

#154 7 years ago

Has anyone ever seen the Ewok's Battle for Endor (or something like that)? I think it was a TV movie. I got through the first 5 minutes.. I'm pretty sure they killed of Han Solo (played by someone else that you'd recognize) within that time. When I remember that this existed, it makes the R1 spinoff look that much better. Plot holes or not, it was mostly entertaining.

#155 7 years ago

Don't think Solo was in Ewok TV movie

#156 7 years ago

Here's a funny list

https://www.google.com/amp/www.craveonline.com/entertainment/933727-11-star-wars-movies-ranked-yes-11/amp?client=safari

Has anyone any recollection of Star Wars Christmas special?

I'd love to see that one.

IMG_2664 (resized).JPGIMG_2664 (resized).JPG

#157 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Here's a funny list
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.craveonline.com/entertainment/933727-11-star-wars-movies-ranked-yes-11/amp?client=safari

Everyone should join and download the Christmas Special. Life Day with riffing!

www.rifftrax.com

IMG_9258 (resized).PNGIMG_9258 (resized).PNG

#158 7 years ago

I managed to acquire a copy of that video, although I don't remember how I got it. Somewhere off the internet, but it is really hard to find. It is really bad resolution (looks like someone digitized off an old VHS tape) and it is cut off toward the end, but it does run 50 minutes. It is easily one of the worst pieces of crap ever filmed for television.

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Here's a funny list

no you wouldn't. It's so damn awful. I don't know if it's as bad as EP1, 2 and 3 but it's damn close.

#160 7 years ago

you can watch it here for free.

Enjoy..........if you can.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no you wouldn't. It's so damn awful. I don't know if it's as bad as EP1, 2 and 3 but it's damn close.

I need to re-watch 1,2,3 but I don't think they were godawful bad. I mean the CGI was bad and whatnot but some things were kind of cool. And like pinball (like South Park) even a horrible pin is still semi-OK no?

#162 7 years ago

acting, plot, story, everything is terrible in EP1, 2 and 3. It's so obviously awful too. I know why Irvin Kershner turned those movies down when George asked him to direct them. Because the scripts were so terrible, even he couldn't save them. Least if Irvin did them, there would have been some character development and we may have gave a shit about 1 or 2 characters in the series. Since he is a character director and focuses on character development over everything else.

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

And like pinball (like South Park) even a horrible pin is still semi-OK no?

No. that's like saying there isn't such a thing as a Bad NES game. Just because it's a video game doesn't make it fun. There are many pieces of shit, that the creators should be kicked in the crotch by every person, that had to sit through the pile of shit they created. Same holds true for pinball. just because the ball rolls around on the field doesn't make it fun.

#164 7 years ago

So I watched Force Awakens yesterday for the fifth time. I have to say, I love this movie as the characters draw you in. Rogue one was not
    a good movie for me at all unfortunately. I guess to each his own. I'm looking forward to where force awakens picks up.

#165 7 years ago

I thought Ewin McGregor did a good job. I don't understand why the prequels get so much hate. I actually enjoyed a lot of them (aside from the effects.)

#166 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I thought Ewin McGregor did a good job. I don't understand why the prequels get so much hate. I actually enjoyed a lot of them (aside from the effects.)

Instead of me writing a novel to point out all the crappiness of the prequels. Just watch these reviews. These guys know movies and how they are suppose to be filmed. Goes in depth on everything wrong with all 3 movies.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I need to re-watch 1,2,3 but I don't think they were godawful bad.... even a horrible pin is still semi-OK no?

Haha you're in for a shitty night unless you were like 4 years old when they came out and grew up with them. They are, and i watched a bunch of parts of them recently, MUCH WORSE than you remember them; I was shocked because I already thought they were the biggest pieces of shit ever.

The CGI, the costumes, the plot, the racism...yada yada you can get past that...nothing is less watchable than shitty acting and THE WORST dialog ever put on film.

Anywhom, I just saw R1 and Force Awakens is the much better movie & watch. I HATE JJ, I was pumped Edwards was doing this one but it didn't pan out. So much going for it wiht the grit and death but overall just blah.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha you're in for a shitty night unless you were like 4 years old when they came out and grew up with them. They are, and i watched a bunch of parts of them recently, MUCH WORSE than you remember them; I was shocked because I already thought they were the biggest pieces of shit ever.
    The CGI, the costumes, the plot, the racism...yada yada you can get past that...nothing is less watchable than shitty acting and THE WORST dialog ever put on film.
    Anywhom, I just saw R1 and Force Awakens is the much better movie & watch. I HATE JJ, I was pumped Edwards was doing this one but it didn't pan out. So much going for it wiht the grit and death but overall just blah.

Haha, good review on watching 1-3 again "you're in for a shitty night LOL", I think you are exactly right. Its kind of like watching Prometheus again. You find yourself thinking, that should have been a pretty cool movie, was it really that bad? Then, you watch it again, and you realize, yep, it was that bad.

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

... Its kind of like watching Prometheus again. ...

Exactly and i wonder how much is the same as that...I know they cut a ton of shit out of Prometheus that I hear tied a lot fo it together...but I haven't seen that version.

Ep 1-3 are so fucking tragic...it really is like Burton's Batman morphing into Shoemachers Batman & Robin.
    Horrible neon color palette and all.

#170 7 years ago

Prometheus was truly bad, I started watching it for the second time because I thought I hadn't seen it before, gosh it's just crap.

I was tuning past and saw part of Attack of the Clones and saw Samuel L Jackson in a big laser battle and from the quality of the film work, I thought it was a TV movie (like a one shot maybe I had missed) until I saw the channel guide that it was the actual movie.

But now I haven't seen any of the early ones for years, but I'd guess it's bad like IJ4

However I can often see good aspects in even very bad movies even B movies.

I watch a lot of movies so I think I'll be ok rewatching the first three. I mean I just watched all 7 Fast and Furious movies even Tokyo Drift.

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I mean I just watched all 7 Fast and Furious movies even Tokyo Drift.

Right & those people know what those movies are, and know you know what they are.
    Lucas is just an insane man. Those movies are BARELY a step above the Transformers movies...and again everyone knows those things are shit so it's cool

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Prometheus was truly bad, I started watching it for the second time because I thought I hadn't seen it before, gosh it's just crap.
    I was tuning past and saw part of Attack of the Clones and saw Samuel L Jackson in a big laser battle and from the quality of the film work, I thought it was a TV movie (like a one shot maybe I had missed) until I saw the channel guide that it was the actual movie.
    But now I haven't seen any of the early ones for years, but I'd guess it's bad like IJ4
    However I can often see good aspects in even very bad movies even B movies.
    I watch a lot of movies so I think I'll be ok rewatching the first three. I mean I just watched all 7 Fast and Furious movies even Tokyo Drift.

Tokyo Drift isn't the worst FnF. I've kind of forgotten which is which but I think the fourth was the one I thought was absolute shit. It felt like remake of the first one with yhe same cast. Was it the fifth when they added The Rock? That was pretty good with the fight between him and Vin Diesel.

I haven't been able to make it through six even though I've tried multiple times.

#173 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Burton's Batman morphing into Shoemachers Batman & Robin.

I secretly love BF. I think it's because I was an impressionable 10 or 11 year old and fell for the marketing hard. At the time I think I even knew the movie wasn't good but I loved the toys, games, tshirts, posters.

But I think the marketing blitz took it's toll because I never touched Batman again until The Dark Knight. I remember not seeing Batman Begins because it didn't include Danny Elfman's theme for Batman.

#174 7 years ago

NOTE: Some Spoilers inside

As i am a HUGE star wars fanboy, i thought i would chime in my opinion as i have grown up with the original movies and the others.

Rogue one:

Had some great visual effects, really cool characters, and a great plot. I really fell in love (literally) with the actress playing Jyn.

My biggest regret about the movie is.....it's sooooo depressing. What to expect i guess? the rebels are supposed to die on their mission to get the deathstar plans but HOLY SHIT. EVERYONE DIES, i mean everyone, even the goddamn comic robot. I walked out of the theater literally feeling "this is the most depressing star wars EVER". i know it is a side movie, but man.....i felt depressed after the movie. I will probably own the movie, but i don't think i can watch it that often.

The force awakens:

back to the old star wars roots, lots of character development and background leading to many questions of "what will happen to all/any of them!?!?." I really thought that (Kylo Ren) was one of the better star wars villians yet personally. I loved the incorporation of old characters, especially Han and Chewy. Downside? Princess Leah (RIP), but man she looked bad. Every scene she was in i was like "is that a smile?" what is wrong with Leah? Besides General Leah, i loved the force awakens and can't wait to see the next episode!!

just my thoughts, may the force be with you.

#175 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

My biggest regret about the movie is.....it's sooooo depressing. What to expect i guess? the rebels are supposed to die on their mission to get the deathstar plans but HOLY SHIT. EVERYONE DIES, i mean everyone, even the goddamn comic robot.

It's only depressing if you're really a fan like you are; By then I was ready for them to die
    Blind dude who walked off a Matrix set and into this movie was just so awful.

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Right & those people know what those movies are, and know you know what they are.
    Lucas is just an insane man. Those movies are BARELY a step above the Transformers movies...and again everyone knows those things are shit so it's cool

transformers 3 was tolerable. Only 3. The rest are absolute shit. 3 had some story similar to the comics.

Did you watch the reviews of EP1, 2 and 3 I posted a link for. The reviews are better than the movies themselves. I love watching the reviews for fun. Probably seen them all at least 10 times now.

I thought EP1 was the most depressing, because everyone didn't die in the first 5 min, and I had to sit through 3 movies of cinematic dog shit.

#177 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Blind dude who walked off a Matrix set and into this movie was just so awful.

The Law! Lol. You're baiting me huh? Not too subtle.

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

The Law! Lol. You're baiting me huh? Not too subtle.

Oh I didn't read the thread really and just caught up with you now. Dam dude...you loved this piece of shit. You have a poster of that blind dude above you bed don;t you

Looking back the weak sauce Mexi-frenchman was a real downer...but sweet shit that blind dude was SOOOOO bad. I mean if he kept his mouth shut it would have been passable but he wouldn't shut up

#179 7 years ago

You didn't like it, cool. I get it, you like your actors to be big and muscely. Nothing wrong with that..

#180 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

NOTE: Some Spoilers inside
    As i am a HUGE star wars fanboy, i thought i would chime in my opinion as i have grown up with the original movies and the others.
    Rogue one:
    Had some great visual effects, really cool characters, and a great plot. I really fell in love (literally) with the actress playing Jyn.
    My biggest regret about the movie is.....it's sooooo depressing. What to expect i guess? the rebels are supposed to die on their mission to get the deathstar plans but HOLY SHIT. EVERYONE DIES, i mean everyone, even the goddamn comic robot. I walked out of the theater literally feeling "this is the most depressing star wars EVER". i know it is a side movie, but man.....i felt depressed after the movie. I will probably own the movie, but i don't think i can watch it that often.
    The force awakens:
    back to the old star wars roots, lots of character development and background leading to many questions of "what will happen to all/any of them!?!?." I really thought that (Kylo Ren) was one of the better star wars villians yet personally. I loved the incorporation of old characters, especially Han and Chewy. Downside? Princess Leah (RIP), but man she looked bad. Every scene she was in i was like "is that a smile?" what is wrong with Leah? Besides General Leah, i loved the force awakens and can't wait to see the next episode!!
    just my thoughts, may the force be with you.

What's really depressing is spelling "Leia" wrong when your such a huge fan, tut tut LOL

Sounds like we haven't seen the last of Princess Leia (RIP Carrie) as Disney are looking to bring her back for Episode IX using CGI wizardry in the same way they brought Tarkin back for Rogue One.

#181 7 years ago

i saw Rogue One yesterday for the first time. I thought it was well done. Told the story in a good way. I also think they did a good job on Governor Tarkin. I think the CGI was good. Leia not as much. I also found something wrong with the way Darth Vader looked. The neck looked fat to me, or something. I watched Return not that long ago and don't remember him looking that way. And yes Force Awakens was supposed to be similar to a new hope. First so that the fans would feel good about it and not hate Disney. Also the way Lucas has done the story arc, the 2nd will be similar in tone to Empire and the third to Return. And i am a fan from way back when, saw Star Wars, in the theater, as well as Empire and Return, had the original Kenner toys. Saw all the prequels and Force at the Midnight First Showing. Have read and own most of the books, not including the Young Jedi stories. The Zahn books are great. Too bad they decided all the books aren't canon.

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ep 1-3 are so fucking tragic...it really is like Burton's Batman morphing into Shoemachers

Agree. Much gets made about the overuse of effects and weak plot and acting in the prequels.
    But the introduction of midichlorians alone to explain away the magic of the force was the real tragedy.
    I'm pretty forgiving but nearly choked on my coke that day.

#183 7 years ago

Rogue One sucked donkey balls. I sat there thinking "and this movie was somehow worse before reshoots?"

There's no character development, the first hour is beyond boring, the fan service borders on SNL parody, and the last battle is a confusing mess of "connect wires and push buttons and align dishes" aka a bunch of nonsense events to hang action off of.

Regarding the Vader scene at the end. To paraphrase one YouTube review: What if at the end of Glory, after all the heroes die, they tacked on a scene of a super bad ass Confederate soldier murdering a bunch more good guys? Would people have cheered for that?

Everything in Mickey Wars no longer makes sense in terms of its own internal logic but rather the audiences expectations of it. If Episode 8 just ends up a remake of Empire (Luke training Rey while Finn and Poe are on the run) I'm done watching them.

#184 7 years ago

Get over it, like there are so many better movies out there right. Don't watch anymore please.

#185 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

...Sounds like we haven't seen the last of Princess Leia (RIP Carrie) as Disney are looking to bring her back for Episode IX using CGI wizardry in the same way they brought Tarkin back for Rogue One.

I'm curious where you saw this? I could have sworn I saw Disney put out a press release where the director specifically stated they would not bring her back for episode IX

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious where you saw this? I could have sworn I saw Disney put out a press release where the director specifically stated they would not bring her back for episode IX

It was being rumoured as late as late week that Lucasfilm & Disney where talking with Carrie's estate regarding bringing her back for episode 9, as she was planned to have a major role in the film much bigger than her parts in episodes 7 and 8.

Seems yesterday the rumours have been shot down for now at least

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/collider.com/carrie-fisher-cgi-leia-episode-9/amp/?client=safari

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Rogue One sucked donkey balls. I sat there thinking "and this movie was somehow worse before reshoots?"
    There's no character development, the first hour is beyond boring, the fan service borders on SNL parody, and the last battle is a confusing mess of "connect wires and push buttons and align dishes" aka a bunch of nonsense events to hang action off of.
    Regarding the Vader scene at the end. To paraphrase one YouTube review: What if at the end of Glory, after all the heroes die, they tacked on a scene of a super bad ass Confederate soldier murdering a bunch more good guys? Would people have cheered for that?
    Everything in Mickey Wars no longer makes sense in terms of its own internal logic but rather the audiences expectations of it. If Episode 8 just ends up a remake of Empire (Luke training Rey while Finn and Poe are on the run) I'm done watching them.

After my fifth viewing of Rogue one, the first act either was either done with last minute rewrites or plagued by shoddy editing. I just picked up the novelization, it would be interesting to find what deviates from the movie, plus or minus, scenes.

I do for the most part love this movie, but I'm in total agreement with you on the ending. While that might have looked good on paper - execution not so much. That Vader scene alone felt so arbitrary and was just pantomiming to the younger Star Wars audience. Yuck... I feel it takes away the mystique from his grand entrance in A New Hope.

#188 7 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

After my fifth viewing of Rogue one, the first act either was either done with last minute rewrites or plagued by shoddy editing. I just picked up the novelization, it would be interesting to find what deviates from the movie, plus or minus, scenes.
    I do for the most part love this movie, but I'm in total agreement with you on the ending. While that might have looked good on paper - execution not so much. That Vader scene alone felt so arbitrary and was just pantomiming to the younger Star Wars audience. Yuck... I feel it takes away the mystique from his grand entrance in A New Hope.

Unfortunately whether we like it or not, Star Wars is now being aimed at the younger audience, from a business point of view and Disney know how to make a few bucks they want the younger/future audiences hooked so they can support the future of the franchise and pass it on to their children just like all of us probably have.

You can find a few articles online that state what was re-written/re-shot, the whole Jyn being locked up and rescued was done through the re-shoots and their where re-shoots done for the finale on the transmitter tower - I'm sure in one of the trailers a tie fighter faces Jyn head on but upon my view I don't recall seeing the same scene.

#189 7 years ago

I thought Rogue One was incredibly boring. Convoluted and rushed first half, lame, flat characters, nonsensical climax (wow she pushed a button, my heart is pounding), and that CGI Tarkin, yikes. Really nice cinematography but man, the script is just awful.

#190 7 years ago

It was good (not great) as a blockbuster action move it was above average.

#191 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

It was being rumoured as late as late week that Lucasfilm & Disney where talking with Carrie's estate regarding bringing her back for episode 9, as she was planned to have a major role in the film much bigger than her parts in episodes 7 and 8.
    Seems yesterday the rumours have been shot down for now at least
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/collider.com/carrie-fisher-cgi-leia-episode-9/amp/?client=safari

I am sure out of respect for Carrie's children, Disney would not be trying to work a deal so soon after Carrie's death.

#192 7 years ago

4 5 and 6 are classics, episode 1 and 2 sucked big time but 3 was greatness, so far very unimpressed with the new offerings.

#193 7 years ago

Remember the good old days, when they simply recast roles instead of rebooting, or changed actors when somebody died?

#194 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Unfortunately whether we like it or not, Star Wars is now being aimed at the younger audience, ..

Not like the grown up Lucas days eh?

jj (resized).pngjj (resized).png

I don;t know what movies you were watching, but Lucas' whole problem was making everything for children. Disney getting these movies was the best thing that could have happened.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Unfortunately whether we like it or not, Star Wars is now being aimed at the younger audience

That happened in 1983 when ROTJ came out. It was renamed from "Revenge of the Jedi" to make it kid friendly, and gave extended screen time to a tribe of teddy bears. Most viewers beyond 10 years old were disappointed in the direction, and it didn't have the same rabid repeat viewings as the prior two.

#196 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not like the grown up Lucas days eh?

I don;t know what movies you were watching, but Lucas' whole problem was making everything for children. Disney getting these movies was the best thing that could have happened.

I should have probably put "now once again" they are being aimed at younger audiences as Disney sees them as the future of the franchise & we are already hooked on the characters and worlds of the franchise. The originals weren't exactly r rated but the prequels certainly took the franchise to kindergarten.

And I agree Disney is easily the best thing to happen to the franchise, taking Lucas out of the equation hasn't hurt either, the franchise has always been best when he hasn't had the reigns.

#197 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

That happened in 1983 when ROTJ came out. It was renamed from "Revenge of the Jedi" to make it kid friendly, and gave extended screen time to a tribe of teddy bears. Most viewers beyond 10 years old were disappointed in the direction, and it didn't have the same rabid repeat viewings as the prior two.

I believe it was renamed because a Jedi wouldn't seek Revenge. I have the patch from the fan club that says Revenge of the Jedi though.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I believe it was renamed because a Jedi wouldn't seek Revenge. I have the patch from the fan club that says Revenge of the Jedi though.

One of my prize possessions is my Revenge of the Jedi poster w/ the theatrical date on the bottom.

#199 7 years ago

Rogue one all the way! It focused more on the story line instead of re-hashing. Also, rouge one didn't have a half thought out mushy love plot in it.

#200 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Unfortunately whether we like it or not, Star Wars is now being aimed at the younger audience, from a business point of view and Disney know how to make a few bucks they want the younger/future audiences hooked so they can support the future of the franchise and pass it on to their children just like all of us probably have.

For sure... as another poster mentioned, Return of the Jedi started that ball rollin'.

I guess what I'm trying to say when you try to over-cater to the younger audience, something all ways goes awry or gets lost, whether it's the vibe or overall tone of the movie.

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rogue-one-vs-the-force-awakens-spoilers-inside/page/4?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.