(Topic ID: 176783)

Rogue One vs The Force Awakens (Spoilers Inside)?

By Xerico

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 238 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by girloveswaffles
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Disney Star Wars movie was better?”

• Rogue One 118 votes
      61%
    • The Force Awakens 76 votes
      39%

(194 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jj (resized).png
    IMG_9258 (resized).PNG
    IMG_2664 (resized).JPG
    wj9lk8 (resized).jpg
    vewHEXO (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

So the mods had a spirited debate regarding Rogue One VS The Force Awakens.

For those that have seen both, which one did you prefer? Why?

Feel free to add your reasons and vote in the poll.

Rogue One Spoilers may be found in this thread.

We are curious what other Pinsiders think.

Marcus

#2 3 years ago

Rogue One = no emo Vader

#3 3 years ago

I liked The Force Awakens better, but the ending of Rogue One was the shit.

#4 3 years ago

Both were great with plenty of pros/cons. But good Lord, the Vader scene at the end of Rogue One was incredible.

#5 3 years ago

I just saw Rogue One today in 3D with my brother, dad, FIL, and two boys (7&10).

I honestly thought it would be a poorly done cash grab since we pretty much know how it will go from the beginning. But, it was really well done, and the whole final situation was amazing. My boys didn't like the ending because of the main characters, but it was quite a final 10 seconds in that movie.

FA on the other hand felt like a setup for the next movies. It was enjoyable to watch, but very safe.

#6 3 years ago

I saw rogue one today. I liked it as much as the original trilogy. It was a fun movie. I liked it a bit more that the force awakens.

#7 3 years ago

I liked Rogue One way better. As a friend told me, "Vader stomping down a hallway murderizing rebels like a boss.... that was the Vader of my childhood nightmares..."

I totally agree.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Rogue One = no emo Vader

Yep, that's exactly why i preferred it too.

#9 3 years ago

For me, Rogue One is the winner. In fact, I place Rogue One in my top three. I feel that it is a better movie than ROTJ.

Rogue One secured its place in my Star Wars list by showing the perfect ending.
    The Rebel sacrifice is real. Darth Vader demonstrates why he is feared by both Rebels and Imperialist alike.

The final scene with Vader created such fantastic hope that maybe one day Disney will release a movie that focuses on Vader's exploits as he hunts Jedi.

And the rest of the film was full of Easter eggs. The blue milk, members of the X-Wing squadron, the cantina criminals, etc

And as a film, it was extremely well acted. I really enjoyed the smart ass droid. He was a combination of C3PO and R2D2. He was fantastic.

While TFA was a fantastic movie, Rogue One was just a little bit better in my book.

Marcus

#10 3 years ago

No question. Rogue One was MILES better than Force Awakens. That's how a prequel is done.

#11 3 years ago

I liked it better than The Episode 7 do over. Great movie!

#12 3 years ago

I'm in the Rogue One is better camp. I liked TFA, but there were some flaws that brought the entire film down a notch in my eyes. And despite the nostalgia I have for Han and Chewie, it didn't compare to the feeling I got when you first hear James Earl Jones' voice in Rogue One. I think every hair on my body stood up at once.

#13 3 years ago

I had trouble with Rogue One. The beginning was a little weird. It kept jumping around from place to place introducing characters I wasn't sure I should remember later on. No scroll also was a bold choice. I think a scroll should have been there to let people know this was a prequel and didn't take place after TFA.

The first hour I found terribly boring. I didn't feel any connection to the characters or places. They all seemed generic and replaceable. The opening scene was an interesting setup but then a time jump meant the movie had to inform me all over again the characters situations. Vader's first scene was pretty cringeworthy. I don't remember Vader trying to be funny.

When they got to the beach planet things started to get interesting. The first thing I noticed was they ripped off Spaceballs space gate concept, which was funny. The whole final sequence was fun. The CG Tarkin and Leia were terrible. They should have put Tarkin in more shadow and sillouette. They did that a few times and it worked great. They didn't need to show Leia's face. They should have just shown her back, she speaks and end movie.

Overall I was impressed with some of the choices to deviate from the formula but I think it's a little bit of a miss. I actually enjoyed TFA more even though that movie is more flawed.

#14 3 years ago

I think they are both great movies and great Star Wars movies. As far as which is better it's hard to say, I'm a big believer in multiple watchings of a movie and I've only gotten to see rouge one once and force awakens many times. But I really liked the way they shot rouge one and it's one of the best shot Star Wars movies and was beautiful to look at plus I really liked how they didn't use a lot of CGI in it. Force awakens didn't do to much CGI either but rouge one did barley any. I think rouge one was as good as a "star wars story" can get maybe even a little better and the end with vador was amazing.

#15 3 years ago

Force Awakens = Alien 3
    Rogue One = Aliens

#16 3 years ago

I loved both, but I give the edge to TFA. The characters in TFA were more nuanced and memorable. As much as I enjoyed Rogue One (I'll happily buy it the day it hits blu-ray), I found several of the characters to be pretty surface-level. I couldn't tell you half of their names.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I loved both, but I give the edge to TFA. The characters in TFA were more nuanced and memorable. As much as I enjoyed Rogue One (I'll happily buy it the day it hits blu-ray), I found several of the characters to be pretty surface-level. I couldn't tell you half of their names.

I don't think they made a big deal of learning their names since they all weren't around very long....

#18 3 years ago

I thought R1 was WAY better. It was fresh, original, dark, and had great action.

As far as The Force Awakens...I didn't like the whiny baby Kylo Ren. They killed (perhaps forced by Harrison Ford) the only real interesting character. The other characters were good when bouncing off Han, but on their own, I didn't find them that entertaining. It was basically a mashup rehash of the original trilogy in a lot of ways.

#19 3 years ago

I saw the movie last weekend. It was either Harry Pooter or Star Wars. Movie was Ok. Got better once I remembered the guys dressed in white were the bad guys. It was 1977 all over again.

#20 3 years ago

Rogue one had a very slow confusing start. Jumped around from character to character so much, you really didn't have the time to bond with any of the characters. Lacked character development because of this. I understand they had a lot of material to cover in a 2 hour block. But there was a lot of things that didn't need to be there.

And the Darth vader scene looked forced for the fan boys. It was out of place and shouldn't have been there. Remember, this is NOT young darth vader. This is not the ass kicker version. This is the guy that controls his puppets and gets shit done. Not darth maul ass kicker. But they didn't have a lot of hand to hand action and thought they needed some sort of action sequence, even if it didn't fit and looked thrown in.

Rogue one was ok, but definitely not epic.

Force awakens is too early to tell. The SW movies are based on the trilogy, not an individual movie. It had so many similarities to the original SW, that it almost felt boring in some aspects. But it laid groundwork, so it's too early to tell if it was garbage or golden. After EP1, the trilogy could have been saved if EP2, and 3 were awesome. But they were not, and actually got worse as they went on, making one of the worst trilogy's ever filmed. Force awakens has potential of being something really good.

#21 3 years ago

Watched it with my son and grandsons today. First half was disappointing compared to all other SW s movies, second
    half was better. Both 10 year old s fell asleep 45 mins into the movie. All enjoyed 2nd half.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Rogue one had a very slow confusing start. Jumped around from character to character so much, you really didn't have the time to bond with any of the characters. Lacked character development because of this. I understand they had a lot of material to cover in a 2 hour block. But there was a lot of things that didn't need to be there.
    And the Darth vader scene looked forced for the fan boys. It was out of place and shouldn't have been there. Remember, this is NOT young darth vader. This is not the ass kicker version. This is the guy that controls his puppets and gets shit done. Not darth maul ass kicker. But they didn't have a lot of hand to hand action and thought they needed some sort of action sequence, even if it didn't fit and looked thrown in.
    Force awakens is too early to tell. The SW movies are based on the trilogy, not an individual movie. It had so many similarities to the original SW, that it almost felt boring in some aspects. But it laid groundwork, so it's too early to tell if it was garbage or golden. After EP1, the trilogy could have been saved if EP2, and 3 were awesome. But they were not, and actually got worse as they went on, making one of the worst trilogy's ever filmed. Force awakens has potential of being something really good.

I agree about the Vader fight scene. It was cool but I feel they should have found a more elegant solution to deflect laser shots than using sword work from the prequels. Maybe he could have used his shot stopping ability from Empire

In fact less connection to the prequels, the better. I feel like the one plus to Disney owning Star Wars is there is a possibilty to remake the prequels into something better. They probably won't do it though because those are the only films Disney wholly owns at this time.

#23 3 years ago

Both are solid but not stellar movies, with my vote going to Rogue One. They were clearly made in an attempt to recapture the magic of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, yet they seem lesser than those classics.

I agree with others that the opening of Rogue One was too confusing. It really came out on top because of Vader's bad assery and everyone sacrificing themselves. Dialing back vintage characters was cool too.

I'd like to see the next release in the franchise drop the safe re-do ties and break new ground.

#24 3 years ago

I saw rogue one tonight . I liked it much more than the force awakens , just ripped off too much from the original movie. Hoping the second one in the new trilogy will have more of an original storyline . Disney should really hire one or more of the writers that do the books that take place in the same timeframe as their new movies .

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Agree. I though RO was ok, probably better than TFA by a bit. I am a huge Peter Cushing fan, so seeing "him" back on the screen was fantastic. I bet that Peter would have loved it.

The Vader bits were wasted and both felt like fan fiction. The actor looked about 70 pounds lighter than David Prowse who was a body builder. The first scene had horrible dialog. Vader is menacing just by his body movements and the subtleness in his posture. The ending bit was wretched, it reminded me of flying Yoda in the prequels.

I hate to say it, but Star Wars is really only 2 great movies, and an ok third one. Everything else is "meh".

#26 3 years ago

Were Tarkin and Lea really CGI? I wasn't sure if it was prosthetics on similar looking actors or CGI. Mon Motha looked like a flesh and blood actress.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Were Tarkin and Lea really CGI? I wasn't sure if it was prosthetics on similar looking actors or CGI. Mon Motha looked like a flesh and blood actress.

I walked out after and people were amazed at seeing those characters (Tarkin and Leia) and I said it had to be CGI. Leia looked less real than Tarkin.

#28 3 years ago

To me Rogue One is unquestionably the best Star Wars flick in over 30 years. In other words I'm really surprised to see 40% vote for TFA.

Rogue One is a far better prequel to the original trilogy than I-III...the action was tense, and the treatment of the rebel alliance was on par with Episode IV. In contrast TFA felt contrived... the handling of the Force was contradictory to the original trilogy, the villain was anemic, and the entire story felt like a Disney reboot centering around a Death Star, again. Not that it was bad, but a reboot is no addition to the saga like Rogue One.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

they actually hired a look alike actress for the main general chic. I think they did well in that aspect. Tarkin looked fantastic. Leia was a little too chubby in the face.

And to say it's better than Ep 1, 2 and 3. That's not saying much. Those movies are beyond horrible. They are the worst piles of shit to grace the silver screen. It's one of the few times I was actually pissed at seeing a movie and felt ripped off. The other times was the first 2 twilight movies (refused to see any others beyond that) and Beverly hills ninja. SHITFEST!!!! Absolute SHITFEST with NO redeeming qualities.

#30 3 years ago

I felt terribly ripped off by fact that TFA is essentially a remake of episode 4. That was pitiful. Felt lazy. Loved Harrison Ford and some of the other characters, however.

Rogue one was much better in my mind. Yes we know how the story ends. Yes the main characters had to die. However, the action was incredible, scenes beautiful and they re-discovered how to properly add comedy. Loved the tie-ins to episodes 3 and 4 and the characters they brought in from those movies.

#31 3 years ago

Remember that TFA is the groundwork for the rest. It's really too early to judge until the other 2 come out.

If just EP 4 was ever released, would SW be this long running epic movie? Not really. It was ESB and ROTJ that sealed it as an awesome trilogy and viewed as a whole. Together they are an awesome package. In all fairness. the original SW is kinda boring compared to the others. Yes, TFA seemed like a reboot in many aspects, but now they have to go a different direction. They cannot ride the coattails anymore and have to show new story. I'm looking forward to the direction they go next. It's nice having a villain, that's not this set badass. Instead, it's an awkward kid trying to find himself and growing developing character. Much like Luke was in the originals. he was an annoying whinny bitch through most of the movies. Except this time we have it on the enemy side. Lots of potential going on, and unfair to judge it this early in the game.

#32 3 years ago

I did not like the CGI Tarkn and Leah. For me, it was an unnecessary low point. Particularly Leah, they could have just showed her in the robe front m the back and we would have all understood what was next.

Did I miss a scene? I was pretty sure that R2 and C3PO got left behind for the battle. In Ep 4 they are suddenly on that ship. Surely, she didn't swing by her rebel base to pick up the droids with a Star destroyer in chase?

Still the best SW movie in a long time.

#33 3 years ago

Leah was actually an actor. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6488665/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t24

I thought she was CGI too based on how many others were. They must need her for future movies.

#34 3 years ago

Both Leia and Tarkin were played by actors with CGI added later.

Digital makeup is light years beyond where Tron Legacy was just a few years ago. See Planet of the Apes, Ant-Man, etc. Still not perfect, but pretty amazing.

#35 3 years ago

Leia and Tarkin were CGI. You can tell by the eyes. I'm sure they used actors for the movements and manipulated the face with CGI. I thought it looked terrible and unnecessary.

I really didn't like Vader's pun. I was rolling my eyes at the cheesiness.

The reason I liked TFA more was it was more fun. It captured the spirit of the originals. It's a shame the story was such a rehash. That said I'm probably going to see Rogue One again which I have no interest in doing with TFA.

#36 3 years ago

Great movie couldn't stand the CGI heads

#37 3 years ago

Rouge One was miles better than Episode 7.

New story that fleshed out the begins of Episode 4.
    So many small throwbacks to the original movies. Like how Red 5 died so Luke could become Red 5. Little things like that throughout the movie. Using footage of Red and Gold leader, epic.

The only thing better in 7 was the music score, cant believe John Williams did not do Rouge One.
    I wish they would not have shown Leia's face at the end of it, if they just showed her back, but the CGI on her was way worse than Tarkin IMO

Episode 7 was enjoyable but was the same movie over again.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Leia and Tarkin were CGI. You can tell by the eyes. I'm sure they used actors for the movements and manipulated the face with CGI. I thought it looked terrible and unnecessary.
    I really didn't like Vader's pun. I was rolling my eyes at the cheesiness.
    The reason I liked TFA more was it was more fun. It captured the spirit of the originals. It's a shame the story was such a rehash. That said I'm probably going to see Rogue One again which I have no interest in doing with TFA.

Well that's your answer. I don't have much interest in seeing TFA again but will prob buy Rogue One

#39 3 years ago

I felt TFA was a better stand alone movie than Rogue One - Maybe it was just seeing all the old characters again, including the Millennium Falcon, but the action and story seemed more cohesive.

#40 3 years ago

It's banana cream pie versus apple pie. Both are delicious and left my belly full.

#41 3 years ago

Loved both movies, but slightly loved force awakens a bit more for the memorable characters and high points even though the plot is familiar. That moment where Rey force grabs the lightsaber from the snow gave me goosebumps!

Rogue one's third act is incredible though. The only issues were the soundtrack was pretty subpar... Force awakens is far superior there. Also it would have benefited from an opening crawl to explain where we are in the timeline.

Both movies were a lot of fun.. Excited for the new direction of star wars post prequels...

#42 3 years ago

Rogue One was the best SW movie I've seen since I was a kid. It was dark and gritty like you would expect in a war. No silly humor and unlike TFA, it didn't just reboot ANH. I mean the Empire would really build another Death Star?!? Really? Third times a charm perhaps? That alone had me rolling my eyes throughout the whole movie. At least with RO, it was the original Death Star, so it still made sense. And I couldn't stand Kylo Ren. He was alright in the beginning before he started throwing temper tantrums and taking his mask off. I'd rank the series at this point like this from best to worst.
    ANH
    ESB
    RO
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TFA
    PM

#43 3 years ago

I thought the Tarkin CGI was adequate, but I am surprised they did not do a better job with the coarse looking Leia CGI. Move the camera back or add some smoke. UGH, too fake!

My complaint about TFA was it felt too Disney sanitized for all ages, etc. RO was a bit more gritty, so at least it checks that box, but I have to say that after leaving the theater, I immediately forgot it. Unfortunately, not the best film of 2016 IMHO.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

I thought the Tarkin CGI was adequate, but I am surprised they did not do a better job with the coarse looking Leia CGI. Move the camera back or add some smoke. UGH, too fake!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Force awakens has potential of being something really good.

Maybe the next two episodes can help TFA but it's still a bad movie compared to Rogue one or even Episode 1. TFA borrowed all of it's plot from A New Hope, it had weird bouncy kid friendly monsters, killed off Han Solo like a little bitch(Spoiler alert; this is the man who shot first!) & they didn't even pause to notice or remember a whole freaking star system was destroyed. At least in episode 4, Obi Wan takes notice of Alderaan's destruction.

Rouge One's beginning jumps around a lot & the plot isn't great but the cinematography is what saves the movie.

*Edit* Tarkin looks great if you are drunk. I know from experience.

#46 3 years ago

Oh come on. How can you give any credit to Episode 1? the only movie worse than EP1 is EP 2 and 3.

Want some good reviews about EP 1, 2 and 3. Watch these. They are informative and spot on about all 3 movies. And entertaining. So entertaining, the reviews are better than the movies themselves. I have all 3 reviews on DVD. I refuse to own EP1,2 and 3 on DVD.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

#47 3 years ago

here's a pretty spot on review about Rogue One as well.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Oh come on. How can you give any credit to Episode 1? the only movie worse than EP1 is EP 2 and 3.
    Want some good reviews about EP 1, 2 and 3. Watch these. They are informative and spot on about all 3 movies. And entertaining. So entertaining, the reviews are better than the movies themselves. I have all 3 reviews on DVD. I refuse to own EP1,2 and 3 on DVD.
    http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Episode 1 might be my favorite of the prequels (if you can call it that). It looked more like the originals with more location shoots and less green screen. Darth Maul was a cool character design despite his lack of a story. Pod Racers were pretty neat because of the N64 game. I also have good memories of the feeling leading up to it, the anticipation. It also had some accomplished actors who tried despite the script and dialogue. Clone Wars was forgettable and Sith tried to go very dark to mask it's many problems. I always felt like half of Sith should have been like Vader in that final scene from Rogue One, tracking down and killing Jedi.

Anyways back to Rogue One...

#49 3 years ago

I hated Episodes 1-3. I wish Disney would redo them. Lucas had the chance of telling a great story and totally failed.

I've never read any books associated with Star Wars, but I would outline something that mimicked the story of the American Revolution and other revolutions in history. I would have certainly made Anakin a likable character and start with him as a teenager. Very little CGI. Darker in tone.

Show the rise of the Empire and the brutality, enslavement, total domination and control of everything, and lack of hope, freedoms, etc... Make them an unstoppable force. Then show the beginnings of the revolution. The danger at just thinking about being free. The writing of their declaration of independence, a small group of "founding fathers". The first spark of hope. End the first movie with Anakin playing a role in the first small victory against the Empire.

In the second movie I would show the rebellion spreading and the Empire beginning to take them really seriously and have a lot of setbacks and losses for the rebellion, but I would end it with Anakin being a big hero pilot in a major victory over the Empire. This would be a large scale war movie. You would have to plant seeds of his becoming Vader of course.

In the third movie I would show Anakin turning into Vader fairly early on, and leading the Empire to all but crush the rebellion and have Obi Wan's heroics be the only thing that allowed it to survive and for some to escape. I would have almost and escape/survival movie in this one. Post apocalyptic after the devastation of the war and the emergence of Vader.

Anyway, those are my musings.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I actually feel the exact same way about EP 7, its been on Starz for the last couple of months and I would flip over to it for a few minutes and just couldn't stomach watching it again, so I had to change the channel. I had watched EP 2 and 3 many times and even watched them again about a week ago. It also helps that my kid grew up on those and likes them. They still had some silly BS in them, but I still found them to be entertaining once I gutted through those parts (can't say the same for EP1, it was just horrible).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside