Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by stoptap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Is there anything that is acceptable to lubricate the shooter rod to keep the action smooth? Nobody likes to plunge with a dry rod.

#2 6 years ago

No. Just replace the sleeve and keep the mechanism clean.

#3 6 years ago

Depends on the manufacturer of the game. Data East/Sega/Stern Pinball use a shooter housing with a pressed-in metal bushing. Metal-to-metal contact needs periodic oiling with a couple of drops of oil.

#4 6 years ago

Funny as I was going to ask that too. Seeing that graphite was offered on one of the websites for the shooter assembly. I was always told keep clean and keep dry.

#5 6 years ago

My lady was complaining about friction too. I think this is the wrong forum though.

#6 6 years ago

If I remember correctly, one of the staff was going around with a rag and bottle of zippo fluid and wiping down the shooter rods at the VFW show back in May. I assume it was for lubrication.

#7 6 years ago

I think that was for cleaning.

#8 6 years ago

Once it has been cleaned and technically A1 I use Mill Wax as a final step.

#9 6 years ago

I put the tiniest amount possible of Super Lube (grease from the tube) on the rod and rub it on then wipe it, this works great. This is for the shooter rods on my pinball machines you perverts.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from tfduda:

If I remember correctly, one of the staff was going around with a rag and bottle of zippo fluid and wiping down the shooter rods at the VFW show back in May. I assume it was for lubrication.

I guess when isn't Naphtha the answer!?

#11 6 years ago

I put a little car wax on mine . Pull it all the way out - put some wax on - push it in and out a few times - done .

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Depends on the manufacturer of the game. Data East/Sega/Stern Pinball use a shooter housing with a pressed-in metal bushing. Metal-to-metal contact needs periodic oiling with a couple of drops of oil.

This is correct. The material they use for the bush is called oilite. A clean and then a couple of drops of very ligh sewing machine oil will make it good as new.
    Wax, grease or graphite powder will make it worse because it will clog the pores in the metal.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rod-lube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.