Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ezeltmann
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWD love (resized).png
    50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-RHL9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 6 years ago

After taking about 4 years off from major tournaments due to dissatisfaction of unlimited Herb qualifier tournaments, Ryan's implementation of the limited Herb format is THE reason I participated in last year's RMPS tournaments. It is highly successful at TPF and proved to work very well last year. If it goes back to an unlimited qualifier format there's a high probability I will not participate. Unless restrictions are used, it is the most uneven and unfair qualifying system in any sport or skill tournament I am aware of.

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Will be extremely interesting to see if they go back to not paying out 100% of the entry fees back to the winners.
    That was a huge chasm between this event and the locals that Ryan rectified last year.

Yes, this is another great thing Ryan did last year, got a lot of locals to look at the tournaments more favorably than years past.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bwheels:

I'll come down monday as well to meet you guys. thanks and i posted in the tournament group that if anyone want to have a conversation or meet me i am more than welcome.
    Thanks

Glad to see you getting feedback from the right people. Being a PAPA circuit event it's even more critical to do this tournament in a manner that circuit participants are happy... they are a very seasoned and very opinionated group of players that will make or break this as a future circuit event.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Lyons Spring Classic did not make it because someone rated it poorly last year so it got dropped.

As I said, it's a fickle bunch of competitors (understatement of the year?), as I thought it went well last year.

Also it is unfortunate to have 2 circuit events on the same weekend, but it's actually more of an issue that two major shows are scheduled on the same weekend... forcing vendors, tournament players, and travelers to choose one or the other. There are 52 weekends in the year and about 20 major shows, so there are bound to be conflicts, but this is the second year in a row these two were scheduled on the same weekend, so some thought should be put into rescheduling for 2018 to maximize attendance.

#43 6 years ago

Interesting, so in 2015 RMPS moved from April to a safe weekend in June, then in 2016 SFGE moved theirs to the RMPS weekend, and in 2017 the NW show also decided to pile on the same weekend? There are lots of other weekends in the summer to spread these out.

1 week later
    #49 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

I don't know what the normal entry fees are for tournaments like this, but isn't $60 pretty high? As a local casual player that has no chance in hell of doing well in this, I would probably donate $10-$20 to participate, but at $60 I'll pass. I assume many others are in the same boat. I wonder if you'd get a bigger overall prize pool with a lower entry fee.

Multi-day tournaments like this commonly charge $5/play or 3 plays for $10, so $60 would get you between 12 and 20 qualifying attempts, in this case $60 gets you 20, which is where this cost comes from.

This is actually a great benefit to local casual players who, in an unlimited qualifier, may be inclined to plop down a $20, which won't get you a single attempt on each of the 8 game bank, while other players are putting down $120 and getting 4-5 attempts at each of the 8 games. How often do you think you'll best someone if they had 4-5 tries and you got 1 in a match? Yup, you may as well burn that $20 in the parking lot before you come in and stick to the free play area.

With everyone getting 20 tries on the same games, things start to even out nicely, and casual players are inclined to use up all their 20 plays and actually be competitive.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-mountain-pinball-showdown-tournaments?tu=Baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.