Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ezeltmann
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TWD love (resized).png
    50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-RHL9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Hey all, I am beginning my search for generous folks who will help us put on some sweet tournaments at the Rocky Mountain pinball showdown this year. We are in search of 2 EM machines, 2-3 solid state, and 6-8 DMD games. Please reply or PM me if you can help us out. We are a circuit event this year and want to make it a great experience for everyone. Thanks so much and cant wait to see you guys there

#2 6 years ago

Bump for CO

#3 6 years ago

Why isn't Ryan running it again? He ran a successful tournament last year which the community liked way better than previous versions of the RMPS.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Why isn't Ryan running it again? He ran a successful tournament last year which the community liked way better than previous versions of the RMPS.

I agree he was awesome, but he is running comet now and will have a booth and some other stuff to do.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bwheels:

I agree he was awesome, but he is running comet now and will have a booth and some other stuff to do.

I noticed you do not have an IFPA profile page, just curious if you are familiar with running a large tournament. What format are you going to use? If you are changing it up it would be wise to talk to some of the more successful competitive pinball players in the area (thinking DNO, Adam Lefkoff, Ryan, Kevin McCarthy, Kevin Ryan, those guys ). Definitely see if you can use the Never Drains site again to track the standings and queues, super helpful. As far as I know, Ryan wasn't even asked to run it again O_o but I get that he has some other things going on.

Best of luck, I hope it turns out great, especially how it is in a bit of a spotlight being 1 of 20 PAPA Circuit Events this year.

#6 6 years ago

I was definitely under the impression that he was asked but if not I will see if we can meet up and I can pick his brain. We are going to use the same software that was used last year and as we finalize the format I will let everyone know asap. I am very open to listening to the community on what you guys want. I just want it to be great for everyone

#7 6 years ago

Last I spoke with him about it he had not been asked. He is en route to the Cactus Jacks Silverball Showdown right now so i doubt he will chime in. I'll bug him about it when I arrive at our hotel room tonight. You should join the Colorado Pinball Tournament Information facebook group to get direct access to the player base. I can PM you a link to it if you'd like.

#8 6 years ago

I plan of flying in for the first time for this event. Can you give an outline on what to expect. I enjoyed the unlimited pump and dump of Louisville. keeps you wired until the last entry.

Thanks for running this.

Ed Z

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

I plan of flying in for the first time for this event. Can you give an outline on what to expect. I enjoyed the unlimited pump and dump of Louisville. keeps you wired until the last entry.
    Thanks for running this.
    Ed Z

Last year it was limited HERB qualifying with PAPA group finals, much like TPF has ran the last 2 years.

#10 6 years ago

Last year it was limited HERB qualifying with PAPA group finals, much like TPF has ran the last 2 years.

I don't mind a limit, just hoping that the limit gives you enough time to spend a majority of the time trying to qualify. I might be in the minority , but that is what i enjoy. There's always the dispensaries.

#11 6 years ago

I really enjoyed the format last year. I got to play my qualifying games and still go enjoy the show.

In previous unlimited-Herb years, I was pretty much in the tournament area non-stop.

Lots of ways to do it, I definitely agree about asking the opinion of those CO folks that have run a ton of events.

#12 6 years ago

Bwheels...have you ever played in a pinball tournament? Don't see you on ifpa...?

I'm genuinely not trying to be rude or disrespectful. It just struck me as odd.

I am happy to help however I can.

#13 6 years ago

As Always we are willing to help provide a couple of games for the Tournament Room

JJ

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

As Always we are willing to help provide a couple of games for the Tournament Room
    JJ

hardbody!

#15 6 years ago

I'll be there and drunk about 2/3rds of the time and am not much help the other 1/3 of the time.

I'm gonna do more tournaments this year tho, I'm probably like the Rainman of the pinball community, I just haven't tapped my potential quite yet but it's coming!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I'll be there and drunk about 2/3rds of the time and am not much help the other 1/3 of the time.
    I'm gonna do more tournaments this year tho, I'm probably like the Rainman of the pinball community, I just haven't tapped my potential quite yet but it's coming!

I might need ya for the next team league full time if you can swing it!

#17 6 years ago

I might need ya for the next team league full time if you can swing it!

Ya probably, I'll need subs here and there but should be able to do more, Fort C represent!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Bwheels...have you ever played in a pinball tournament? Don't see you on ifpa...?
    I'm genuinely not trying to be rude or disrespectful. It just struck me as odd.
    I am happy to help however I can.

I have not played in any ifpa tournaments, however i do have some knowledge of how to run tournaments. Again I am more that happy to take any advice and criticisms and make this year great. I am already loving the conversations on the format of the tournament and hope to have the formats and such worked out here shortly. thanks

#19 6 years ago

If you are not familiar with how to make rulings and judgments in competitive pinball id suggest you look into it and surround yourself with some knowledgeable assistance TDs for such a big event as a PAPA Circuit.

#20 6 years ago

Will be extremely interesting to see if they go back to not paying out 100% of the entry fees back to the winners.

That was a huge chasm between this event and the locals that Ryan rectified last year.

Colorado waits with bated breath at this reveal

#21 6 years ago

Will be extremely interesting to see if they go back to not paying out 100% of the entry fees back to the winners.
    That was a huge chasm between this event and the locals that Ryan rectified last year.
    Colorado waits with bated breath at this reveal

See ya in the finals, man.

#22 6 years ago

After taking about 4 years off from major tournaments due to dissatisfaction of unlimited Herb qualifier tournaments, Ryan's implementation of the limited Herb format is THE reason I participated in last year's RMPS tournaments. It is highly successful at TPF and proved to work very well last year. If it goes back to an unlimited qualifier format there's a high probability I will not participate. Unless restrictions are used, it is the most uneven and unfair qualifying system in any sport or skill tournament I am aware of.

Yes, this is another great thing Ryan did last year, got a lot of locals to look at the tournaments more favorably than years past.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

After taking about 4 years off from major tournaments due to dissatisfaction of unlimited Herb qualifier tournaments, Ryan's implementation of the limited Herb format is THE reason I participated in last year's RMPS tournaments. It is highly successful at TPF and proved to work very well last year. If it goes back to an unlimited qualifier format there's a high probability I will not participate. Unless restrictions are used, it is the most uneven and unfair qualifying system in any sport or skill tournament I am aware of.

Yes, this is another great thing Ryan did last year, got a lot of locals to look at the tournaments more favorably than years past.

Thanks this is all such great feedback and I appreciate it!

#24 6 years ago

Hi Brandon. Last year's tournament was well run and well received by the dedicated competitive tournament players in Colorado and from chatting with other high level players at the Texas Pinball Festival and now at OKC's Silverball Showdown, there are quite a few people traveling in for the RMPS tournament this year. So with that in mind, I would strongly recommend that you keep the format Ryan implemented last year and absolutely payout 100% of entries.

I would also recommend coming to our local IFPA sanctioned tournaments 1st Sundays 1up LoDo, 3rd Sundays 1up Colfax, 1st Wednesdays Press Play Boulder (meet Ryan!) and Lyons Spring Classic May 26-28 (a former long running PAPA Circuit event). It would be highly beneficial for you to meet the players that will be in the RMPS because you will need our help. Just as Ryan did. As we all know Ryan well, it was easy for him to acquire reliable tournament games, backup games for the inevitable catastrophic malfunction, an army of score keepers, technicians and seasoned TDs to lean on for rulings and procedures. This help was not sought on Pinside but within the community, at the arcades where we regularly meet to play.

We are a close knit group and any resistance or apprehension you may be experiencing is because we don't know you. With only 42 days remaining, now is the time to make friends. We are opinionated and competitive but I got involved not all that long ago and CO players welcomed me into the fold, showed me the ropes and have become good friends. We're a warm bunch of people. I think you'll like us once you get to know us.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from SnowGalvin:

Hi Brandon. Last year's tournament was well run and well received by the dedicated competitive tournament players in Colorado and from chatting with other high level players at the Texas Pinball Festival and now at OKC's Silverball Showdown, there are quite a few people traveling in for the RMPS tournament this year. So with that in mind, I would strongly recommend that you keep the format Ryan implemented last year and absolutely payout 100% of entries.
    I would also recommend coming to our local IFPA sanctioned tournaments 1st Sundays 1up LoDo, 3rd Sundays 1up Colfax, 1st Wednesdays Press Play Boulder (meet Ryan!) and Lyons Spring Classic May 26-28 (a former long running PAPA Circuit event). It would be highly beneficial for you to meet the players that will be in the RMPS because you will need our help. Just as Ryan did. As we all know Ryan well, it was easy for him to acquire reliable tournament games, backup games for the inevitable catastrophic malfunction, an army of score keepers, technicians and seasoned TDs to lean on for rulings and procedures. This help was not sought on Pinside but within the community, at the arcades where we regularly meet to play.
    We are a close knit group and any resistance or apprehension you may be experiencing is because we don't know you. With only 42 days remaining, now is the time to make friends. We are opinionated and competitive but I got involved not all that long ago and CO players welcomed me into the fold, showed me the ropes and have become good friends. We're a warm bunch of people. I think you'll like us once you get to know us.

Perfect. I will see you at those events for sure. I have met many of you, but you may just not remember the face or name. I have met Ryan as well. I will see you at the 1st Sunday and look forward to better knowing you all.

#26 6 years ago

I am going to be at 1up colfax on Sunday from like 3-6 if anyone wants to come down and meet me in person! i will wear an american flag hat so come up and say hi. have a good weekend

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bwheels:

I am going to be at 1up colfax on Sunday from like 3-6 if anyone wants to come down and meet me in person! i will wear an american flag hat so come up and say hi. have a good weekend

This should probably be posted on the CO Pinball Tournament group on Facebook. Much larger audience, plus 3 of the more vocal (read: caring) people in this thread are either from Ft Collins or CO Springs. I've just added you to the FB group.

I'll be out of town Sunday but I'll be at 1up Colfax Monday around 6. I meet up with a group of tournament players there every Monday.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from SnowGalvin:

This should probably be posted on the CO Pinball Tournament group on Facebook. Much larger audience, plus 3 of the more vocal (read: caring) people in this thread are either from Ft Collins or CO Springs. I've just added you to the FB group.
    I'll be out of town Sunday but I'll be at 1up Colfax Monday around 6. I meet up with a group of tournament players there every Monday.

I'll come down monday as well to meet you guys. thanks and i posted in the tournament group that if anyone want to have a conversation or meet me i am more than welcome.
    Thanks

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bwheels:

I'll come down monday as well to meet you guys. thanks and i posted in the tournament group that if anyone want to have a conversation or meet me i am more than welcome.
    Thanks

Glad to see you getting feedback from the right people. Being a PAPA circuit event it's even more critical to do this tournament in a manner that circuit participants are happy... they are a very seasoned and very opinionated group of players that will make or break this as a future circuit event.

#30 6 years ago

So normal joes off the street cannot enter this tournament or do you have to be ranked?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So normal joes off the street cannot enter this tournament or do you have to be ranked?

Anyone is welcome to join. We're still waiting to find out the format, so entry cost, etc. remains unclear. The RMPS always has some very low entry cost tournaments. If you want to play, come find me in the tournament area, and I'll help you get involved.

#32 6 years ago

Sounds good. So the tournament usually starts on Friday and into Sunday if your that good?

#33 6 years ago

For the main tournament, yes. They have lots of fun, quick, casual tournaments, too.

#34 6 years ago

Any progress on the basic format of the tournament? Not having been to RMPS before , i'm kind of in the dark on what was run before.

Thanks

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

Any progress on the basic format of the tournament? Not having been to RMPS before , i'm kind of in the dark on what was run before.
    Thanks

Not yet, and after going to the latest PAPA Circuit event at Cactus Jacks this past weekend, a lot of those top players are going to Atlanta the same weekend since it is established and they know what they are getting into.

#36 6 years ago

Hey all I should have a little info dump in a bit on the details of the tournament. I will say that I don't want to change any of the stuff Ryan did. He was awesome and I am wanting to pay out all the money back to the players. Thanks and More to come soon.

#37 6 years ago

Not yet, and after going to the latest PAPA Circuit event at Cactus Jacks this past weekend, a lot of those top players are going to Atlanta the same weekend since it is established and they know what they are getting into.

Why on earth would there be two Circuit Events the same weekend in two different states? I believe this defeats part of the purpose of circuit events in general.

Maybe the Lyons Spring Classic should have continued to be a Circuit event. Looking at the circuit schedule, there would have been no other conflict.

I'm probably just beating a dead horse here.... And off topic

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemoney24:

Why on earth would there be two Circuit Events the same weekend in two different states? I believe this defeats part of the purpose of circuit events in general.
    Maybe the Lyons Spring Classic should have continued to be a Circuit event. Looking at the circuit schedule, there would have been no other conflict.
    I'm probably just beating a dead horse here.... And off topic

Lyons Spring Classic did not make it because someone rated it poorly last year so it got dropped. I believe they chose not to be added to the ballet for the voting by the general public. But yes, pretty silly to have 2 Circuit events on the same weekend but only your 10 best circuit events out of 20 count towards your standings so I guess its not that big of a deal.

#39 6 years ago

Lyons Spring Classic did not make it because someone rated it poorly last year so it got dropped.

As I said, it's a fickle bunch of competitors (understatement of the year?), as I thought it went well last year.

Also it is unfortunate to have 2 circuit events on the same weekend, but it's actually more of an issue that two major shows are scheduled on the same weekend... forcing vendors, tournament players, and travelers to choose one or the other. There are 52 weekends in the year and about 20 major shows, so there are bound to be conflicts, but this is the second year in a row these two were scheduled on the same weekend, so some thought should be put into rescheduling for 2018 to maximize attendance.

#40 6 years ago

Yeah, it really sucks this year (again) as the NW show locked down all the big names.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

As I said, it's a fickle bunch of competitors (understatement of the year?), as I thought it went well last year.
    Also it is unfortunate to have 2 circuit events on the same weekend, but it's actually more of an issue that two major shows are scheduled on the same weekend... forcing vendors, tournament players, and travelers to choose one or the other. There are 52 weekends in the year and about 20 major shows, so there are bound to be conflicts, but this is the second year in a row these two were scheduled on the same weekend, so some thought should be put into rescheduling for 2018 to maximize attendance.

Quoted from Leeb18509:

Yeah, it really sucks this year (again) as the NW show locked down all the big names.

3 Big shows on the same weekend. Really sucks for the Vendors too

JJ

#42 6 years ago

I'm bugged that the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show moved their date back a week to coincide with RMPS. SFGE is on the other side of the country, so that's not a big deal, but the Northwest show is relatively close. The Northwest show also managed to gobble up the top guests, which kind of stinks, because their game lineup is usually inferior to RMPS for pinball.

Oh, well.

#43 6 years ago

Interesting, so in 2015 RMPS moved from April to a safe weekend in June, then in 2016 SFGE moved theirs to the RMPS weekend, and in 2017 the NW show also decided to pile on the same weekend? There are lots of other weekends in the summer to spread these out.

#44 6 years ago

It is when you only have so many vendors and speakers willing to participate.

Quoted from jar155:

SFGE is on the other side of the country, so that's not a big deal

#45 6 years ago

Here is the tournament info. Thanks for the patience and I look forward to meeting you all.

Open tournament
    • Qualifying is Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    • $60 per person, with 20 total game plays on a minimum bank of 8 games. Entry includes PAPA registration fee.
    • ​The top 16 scores will play in a "PAPA Style" finals Saturday at 6:00 p.m.
    ​• Prizes:
    1st place - trophy + 30% 2nd place - trophy + 20% 3rd place - trophy + 10%
    4th place - 8%
    5th - 8th place - 4%
    9th - 16th place - 2%
    ​• Sample Prize Pool (based on 80 players, $4,000):
    1st place - $1,200
    2nd place - $800
    3rd place - $400
    4th place - $320
    5th - 8th place - $160
    9th - 16th place - $80
    Open tournament - Qualifying
    • The player's best 5 games out of a minimum of 8 pinball machines will be used to determine their ranking
    • A maximum of 100 points is available for each game. 97 points for 2nd; 95 points for 3rd; 93 points for 4th; and reduced by 1 point for 5th and beyond
    • The player's combined score will be based on their 5 highest game ranking point totals.
    • The top 16 players will advance to the finals at 6:00 pm on Saturday
    Open tournament - Finals
    • Top 16 players will compete in a PAPA Style format
    • A group of 4 players will play 3 games in each round and the top 2 players will advance from each group
    • Player will be awarded 4, 2, 1, 0 points for 1st - 4th place finish on each game
    • Additional information can be found here

1 week later
    #46 6 years ago

Below is a link to sign up and help score keep at the tournament. Volunteering for a shift will earn you an extra hour of qualifying before and after open qualifying. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://signup.com/go/CDYdDIJ

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bwheels:

Below is a link to sign up and help score keep at the tournament. Volunteering for a shift will earn you an extra hour of qualifying before and after open qualifying. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    http://signup.com/go/CDYdDIJ

When I find out my show schedule, I'll find a shift to help out on.

#48 6 years ago

I don't know what the normal entry fees are for tournaments like this, but isn't $60 pretty high? As a local casual player that has no chance in hell of doing well in this, I would probably donate $10-$20 to participate, but at $60 I'll pass. I assume many others are in the same boat. I wonder if you'd get a bigger overall prize pool with a lower entry fee.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

I don't know what the normal entry fees are for tournaments like this, but isn't $60 pretty high? As a local casual player that has no chance in hell of doing well in this, I would probably donate $10-$20 to participate, but at $60 I'll pass. I assume many others are in the same boat. I wonder if you'd get a bigger overall prize pool with a lower entry fee.

Multi-day tournaments like this commonly charge $5/play or 3 plays for $10, so $60 would get you between 12 and 20 qualifying attempts, in this case $60 gets you 20, which is where this cost comes from.

This is actually a great benefit to local casual players who, in an unlimited qualifier, may be inclined to plop down a $20, which won't get you a single attempt on each of the 8 game bank, while other players are putting down $120 and getting 4-5 attempts at each of the 8 games. How often do you think you'll best someone if they had 4-5 tries and you got 1 in a match? Yup, you may as well burn that $20 in the parking lot before you come in and stick to the free play area.

With everyone getting 20 tries on the same games, things start to even out nicely, and casual players are inclined to use up all their 20 plays and actually be competitive.

#50 6 years ago

Here are the games so far for the tournamebt. I will be adding some alternates in case any games have catastrophic malfunctions.

EM
    Buccaneer
    Volley

SS
    Medusa
    Paragon

Modern

Wheel of Fortune
    AC/DC Premium
    Jurassic Park
    Medieval Madness
    Whirlwind
    Mousin' Around
    Metallica Le

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-mountain-pinball-showdown-tournaments?hl=snowgalvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.