(Topic ID: 320076)

Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown October 21-23, 2022

By jfh

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you going to the 2022 Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown?”

• Yes 16 votes
      46%
    • No 10 votes
      29%
    • Undecided 9 votes
      26%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2480 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20221023_153539055.MP (resized).jpg
    Space Station 04 (resized).jpg
    Space Station 03 (resized).jpg
    Space Station 02 (resized).jpg
    Space Station 01 (resized).jpg
    0F3031E7-A719-4265-8111-0A2AB47321E7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2291 (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

Well the day before show starts want to express gratitude for all who are bringing games, helping get things organized and ready and persons volunteering their time and resources.

#52 1 year ago

I’ve been dealing with sciatic issues all week but we are all loads and heading up tonight!!!

0F3031E7-A719-4265-8111-0A2AB47321E7 (resized).jpeg0F3031E7-A719-4265-8111-0A2AB47321E7 (resized).jpeg
    #53 1 year ago

No mention of food/drinks at the show, guessing that means they aren't going to have the outdoor vendors like last year?

#54 1 year ago

They have the food/drinks from the hotel vendors. We wanted to have a booth with our snacks but it wasn’t allowed due to contracts with the hotel

#55 1 year ago

Bummed I won't be making it this year. There's some seriously great pins making an appearance that I've wanted to play for a while.

#56 1 year ago

Don't suppose JJ was able to get his hands on some Bonds early by chance? That would be awesome!

#57 1 year ago

There is a James Bond Premium on the floor from Game Exchange.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_1up:

There is a James Bond Premium on the floor from Game Exchange.

Oh boy I hope more than 1 or the line is going to be ridiculous all weekend. But guess take what we can get!

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

Don't suppose JJ was able to get his hands on some Bonds early by chance? That would be awesome!

Yes. One Premium. Looks much better in person than I was expecting. Will try and get better pics tomorrow when it can be powered up.

1DF50CF5-5E94-45D7-A160-0FE9F32F46E6 (resized).jpeg1DF50CF5-5E94-45D7-A160-0FE9F32F46E6 (resized).jpeg31C069CC-0BBC-4C5C-A196-9C54BEDC1827 (resized).jpeg31C069CC-0BBC-4C5C-A196-9C54BEDC1827 (resized).jpeg44EAE943-71FB-42A4-B08D-7DF7CD38FCC1 (resized).jpeg44EAE943-71FB-42A4-B08D-7DF7CD38FCC1 (resized).jpeg552A744F-70F0-41E6-B4C3-33C54049AADC (resized).jpeg552A744F-70F0-41E6-B4C3-33C54049AADC (resized).jpeg566D4D37-9B45-4F77-84D8-FECDA3B64FAA (resized).jpeg566D4D37-9B45-4F77-84D8-FECDA3B64FAA (resized).jpeg5A8F4627-9EC4-42C2-B795-038FBFB6C885 (resized).jpeg5A8F4627-9EC4-42C2-B795-038FBFB6C885 (resized).jpeg736F761D-A214-4879-A9AC-9E6874A741C2 (resized).jpeg736F761D-A214-4879-A9AC-9E6874A741C2 (resized).jpeg909710C2-B60D-4558-B80D-2C86AE9F0EB3 (resized).jpeg909710C2-B60D-4558-B80D-2C86AE9F0EB3 (resized).jpeg9929C9E1-3D4E-413D-8DB1-DD5BA6113FB5 (resized).jpeg9929C9E1-3D4E-413D-8DB1-DD5BA6113FB5 (resized).jpegC4EC0E18-1CC4-4E9C-869B-8E7E79006FB8 (resized).jpegC4EC0E18-1CC4-4E9C-869B-8E7E79006FB8 (resized).jpegCA32A848-6370-4EB1-A282-4D2D01B77878 (resized).jpegCA32A848-6370-4EB1-A282-4D2D01B77878 (resized).jpeg

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

Oh boy I hope more than 1 or the line is going to be ridiculous all weekend. But guess take what we can get!

It will be stupid long like it was with the single Godzilla machine they had last year. I waited 15 minutes in line to drain 3 balls within 2-minutes. I thought about getting back in line, but at that point there were already 3 more people in line than when I'd first lined up. It was a similar situation to Ultraman and Halloween. I remember several years ago when Black Knight SOR came out they had three of them on the floor and it went way better. You actually had a chance to really get a feel for the game instead of it feeling like a Disney theme park ride (wait in line for an eternity for a 2 minute experience).

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

I remember several years ago when Black Knight SOR came out they had three of them on the floor and it went way better. You actually had a chance to really get a feel for the game instead of it feeling like a Disney theme park ride (wait in line for an eternity for a 2 minute experience).

This. ^^^^

Within a few months of that show, I bought a new BKSoR Premium from Game Exchange. And it was because I actually got to spend time with it at the show and fall in love.

That being said - the family would like a Mandalorian Premium now. If anyone has one and would like to trade for my HUO BKSoR Premium (~550 plays), hit me up.

#62 1 year ago

If the person who brought the Williams Space Station to the RMPS is looking at this thread, thank you. I haven't played this title in years, and the representative you brought is outstanding in every way. Very nice restoration, and it plays as good as it looks. The backglass is even signed by designer Barry Oursler.

My only complaint is as usual at these shows, you can't hear a damn thing coming from the pin you're playing but that's not your fault! Seriously....nice job.

This makes me want to find a Space Station project myself and do it up right like this one.

Space Station 01 (resized).jpgSpace Station 01 (resized).jpgSpace Station 02 (resized).jpgSpace Station 02 (resized).jpgSpace Station 03 (resized).jpgSpace Station 03 (resized).jpgSpace Station 04 (resized).jpgSpace Station 04 (resized).jpg
    #63 1 year ago

How are the vendors this year?? We are flying back from Chicago early am from the expo, is the showdown worth coming out to?

Any vendors with translite light boxes?

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

If the person who brought the Williams Space Station to the RMPS is looking at this thread, thank you. I haven't played this title in years, and the representative you brought is outstanding in every way. Very nice restoration, and it plays as good as it looks. The backglass is even signed by designer Barry Oursler.
    My only complaint is as usual at these shows, you can't hear a damn thing coming from the pin you're playing but that's not your fault! Seriously....nice job.
    This makes me want to find a Space Station project myself and do it up right like this one.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That would be mine and a TRULY appreciate your kind words! It’s always fun bringing it to the show and seeing the love it gets.

#65 1 year ago

Had a lot of fun and decided I need a Godzilla now... LOL

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Had a lot of fun and decided I need a Godzilla now... LOL

Best game ever! Show was a lot of fun and thanks to all that contributed. Really enjoyed the insider connect leaderboards that were there from Game Exchange, kept me coming back after those games to try and score better. Curious if 4 is the max you can post on a screen like this? Cool feature but would be nice if more could be shown or it flips screens between other games connected too? I blew up Rush but couldn't topple the other ones. In fairness only played each of them like 3-4 times cause I hate waiting. Got a whopping 2 games on Bond which was fine, seems really cool and should only get better as coded and excited to get mine.

PXL_20221023_153539055.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20221023_153539055.MP (resized).jpg
    #67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

If the person who brought the Williams Space Station to the RMPS is looking at this thread, thank you.

I agree, this game was near the 2 I brought so I probably played it more than any other. It is also the reason I didn't bring my Space Station so I love the game but this game just looks and plays perfect with the lighting and the translucent ramp. Where did you get that?

My Centaur had 475 plays and held up well for me except a few stuck balls. My Stars played great for Friday but the outhole kicker gave me all kinds of problems after that. It still had almost 300 plays.

Thanks to everyone that brought a game. It seemed like the energy was back to 2019 level. What do you think?

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from KJL:

My Centaur had 475 plays and held up well for me except a few stuck balls.

I put about 40 plays myself on your Centaur over the weekend....thank you for bringing it! That title is on my wish list but sadly out of my budget unless I can find a basket case project and pay in "installments" over time while I restore, lol.

#69 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone who brought games! And for those running the show and volunteers!
    Wow were a ton of Avengers like last year with TMNT.
    New game was basically Stern James Bond. I think everything was at last year's show except JJP Toy Story and CGC Cactus Canyon as far as newer pins.
    Lines for most games were very reasonable. Never waited more than maybe 10 minutes and quite a few were less than that.
    My one thing I wished for was more great B/W 90's games. Although there were several, quite many of my favorites weren't present. Can't expect every pin you want to be there to be.
    Was very nice to get to play almost every JJP released including GNR which I had never played before.

#70 1 year ago

One thing about every year I wish was different. Sound way down on machines made worse on Saturday night by a band or dj drowning out the machines sounds even more. I don't go there for a concert. I know its meant to add spice to the show but IMHO it detracts. Sorry if this offends just my feelings about it.

#71 1 year ago

That and game list even day of first opening is always way off. Machines listed that on there and the reverse. I realize pins can break down even the day before. And some need wait until the last possible moment too see what other games are being brought and perhaps trying to not have too many games repeated. And of course vendors need to consider still having games available at their businesses while gone for a whole weekend.
    But isn't there some way it could be more accurate or I am being unrealistic?
    Thanks again to anyone who brought one game to those who brought more an in several cases very many and the effort and generosity in doing that.

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from KJL:

I agree, this game was near the 2 I brought so I probably played it more than any other. It is also the reason I didn't bring my Space Station so I love the game but this game just looks and plays perfect with the lighting and the translucent ramp. Where did you get that?
    My Centaur had 475 plays and held up well for me except a few stuck balls. My Stars played great for Friday but the outhole kicker gave me all kinds of problems after that. It still had almost 300 plays.
    Thanks to everyone that brought a game. It seemed like the energy was back to 2019 level. What do you think?

I had a hell of a game on your Centaur and it was shooting really nicely. I mainly own old Williams, but Centaur should be on everyone's want-list. I've always had a soft spot for that game. Thanks so much for bringing it.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

One thing about every year I wish was different. Sound way down on machines made worse on Saturday night by a band or dj drowning out the machines sounds even more. I don't go there for a concert. I know its meant to add spice to the show but IMHO it detracts. Sorry if this offends just my feelings about it.

Sound is tough to regulate, simply because as other games get louder, your games seem quieter. I literally had my machines maxed out and they were still quiet next to all the other stuff going on. The DJ is a great idea for a fun Halloween party, but yes, could be about 25% quieter and still plenty loud... or better yet, place speakers at both ends and turn the overall volume down so it just has a better spread and not so piercingly loud on one end of the venue. I hid out in the side room/hallway with my games for most of Saturday night just because you could have a conversation without too much shouting.

#74 1 year ago

I love this modified Black Knight that was at the show - it's been there each year I've attended going back to 2017 or so. He's got some blacked-out playfield pieces and armor that has served as inspiration for my own Black Knight restoration. There are a few functional changes as well, a couple fairly major:

- ball is served to the left inlane via a habitrail wireform instead of the upper playfield
    - instead of the ball exiting the upper playfield back to the shooter lane in the upper right corner, the ball is fed down to the lower playfield just above the sling.
    - Lightning flippers are installed in the upper playfield. They're pretty snappy.
    - Magna-Saves are converted to momentary switches, i.e. a single button push does not leave the magnet activated for the 10 or whatever seconds are defined in the settings. Instead, the magnet is activated for as long as you keep the button depressed (with the max time being the 10 or whatever seconds are defined in the settings). It's an interesting twist, one I rather like.

I got to talk with the owner for a bit while he was fixing a target switch issue and we compared notes on restoring Black Knights. He mentioned to me that Steve Ritchie played this Black Knight at some show a few years ago, but was pretty adamant that he didn't care for the changes. That must've been disheartening to the guy, but I get it....he messed with Steve's original classic design. I like it as a change of pace....Black Knights aren't "rare" by any stretch and modding one up like this is far from a crime IMO, and it's a fun take on a classic original. It's a blast to play, and the changes do make it more challenging to run up the score.

IMG_2480 (resized).JPGIMG_2480 (resized).JPG
    #75 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

This makes me want to find a Space Station project myself and do it up right like this one.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AJ's Space Station is the best I've played. Having that next to Swords of Fury represent the two best music packages of their era. They sound, look and play great.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-mountain-pinball-showdown-october-21-23-2022/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.