View topic image gallery

Rhino Replacement Plate Preview.jpg
Rocky Replacement Plate Preview.jpg
Lion Replacement Plate Preview.jpg
rhinoplate.jpg
rockyplate.jpg
Hat Trick Rhino Comparison.jpg
Hat Trick Rocky Comparison.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirebrandX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

This concerns the Hat Trick plastics and hardware involved in the backbox to Rocky and Bullwinkle, with mainly notes on what to look out for.

First, I bought new plastics for Bullwinkle's arm, the Lion hat trick plate, the Rocky hat trick plate, and the Rhino hat trick plate all from Marco. The replacement Lion plate was simply superb and actually looks better than my original plate. Unfortunately the Rocky and Rhino replacements were off on a few areas. I've included comparison pictures with the replacement plate artwork on the left and the original artwork on the right. As you can see from those images, the coloring is wrong. The replacement artwork has a shift to the red spectrum on the gray tone, while the original has a balanced "teal" grey tone with the red slightly reduced compared to the blue and green values.

The Rocky replacement artwork is missing the "wrinkles" in the bunny hat at the bottom of the ear. Also it has mistakenly filled in the left loop of the tie knot completely with grey ink, when there should be white going to the arm border in the background.

The Rhino replacement artwork is even worse off, with the white pupil completely missing from the eye, and the horn is painted the wrong color as well. As a result, I decided to keep the original Rhino plate intact in my machine.

Next, I began ordering hardware based on the service manual. As per usual with DE manuals being less than accurate, I found some issues as well as tracked down parts that Marco forgot to tag with the appropriate DE part number. In my machine, somebody failed to track down the correct parts, and jury-rigged the lever pivots with twisted wire to hold the hat trick plates on the arms. The correct part is an "e-clip" found here:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8712-18

Although the service manual does not list a washer to put in place before the e-clip, I found that the jury-rigged wire job a previous owner had done included washers. So I left the washers on and replaced the twisted wire with the new e-clips. It works great, and prevents the plastic plates from possibly hanging or rubbing on the e-clips.

With Bullwinkle's arm, I replaced the pivot screw with a new one here:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01005-32

The other major part is the pivoting shaft, but Marco is out of stock on those, so I left the original in place (since nothing was wrong with it anyway). I should also point out that the replacement Bullwinkle arm's pivot hole was slightly too small. You need this hole to be big enough to easily rotate on the pivot shaft, so I carefully bore the hole out larger using a modeling knife.

Then I attempted to replace the hand peg hardware and discovered an issue with the parts there. The service manual lists the hand peg part number as 254-5000-06. I ordered the part from Marco, but discovered that Marco has this part number designated for a plastic standoff. What the service manual lists for that part number is a metal 6-32 hex spacer of the same length (1 1/8 inch), which is secured with a 6-32 x 3/8 inch sems machine screw. So here are the correct parts for that:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/254-5008-17

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01003-06

On my machine, somebody improvised by using a couple half-inch plastic spacers and a slotted screw long enough to hold both, retained on the other end by a nylock nut. I left it as is since it seems to work well enough.

That's all for now. Just a heads up for those looking to restore the backbox hat trick guts.

Hat Trick Rocky Comparison.jpgHat Trick Rocky Comparison.jpg Hat Trick Rhino Comparison.jpgHat Trick Rhino Comparison.jpg
1 week later
#2 9 years ago

I've ordered from ebay NOS Rhino and Rocky plates and will scan them in as part of my 600dpi R&B resources package when they arrive.

rockyplate.jpgrockyplate.jpg rhinoplate.jpgrhinoplate.jpg
#4 9 years ago

So I now have all 3 original 'replacement' hat trick plates. These are plates that retain the exact original artwork, but have the two circular holes punched in them instead of the original large rectangular hole. Here are preview images of all three:

Lion Replacement Plate Preview.jpgLion Replacement Plate Preview.jpg Rocky Replacement Plate Preview.jpgRocky Replacement Plate Preview.jpg Rhino Replacement Plate Preview.jpgRhino Replacement Plate Preview.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 27.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,900 (OBO)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FirebrandX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-bullwinkle-hat-trick-restoration-notes?tu=FirebrandX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.