(Topic ID: 311507)

Rocky and Bullwinkle: Will it show life with only a PS, MPU, and SB?

By Turdbol

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by doc5md
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BF3DB3CD-CE94-44DC-AB96-D1F0A87FF212 (resized).jpeg
de_dmc_520-5055-00.jpg
de_dmc.jpg
de_cpu.jpg
RB13 (resized).jpeg
RB14 (resized).jpeg
RB12 (resized).jpeg
RB11 (resized).jpeg
RB10 (resized).jpeg
RB9 (resized).jpeg
RB8 (resized).jpeg
RB6 (resized).jpeg
RB7 (resized).jpeg
RB5 (resized).jpeg
RB4 (resized).jpeg
RB3 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Greetings! I have a Rocky and Bullwinkle. It's slowly been coming together as I bought it with a sound board only - and wrong MPU. Now, I have a Power Supply, MPU (-03), and a sound board. I am MISSING the PBB, and the Board that goes under the playfield on the cabinet. When I turned the machine on, I was hoping to have at least some lights, but I do hear "It's Showtime" and then nothing happens.

My question is - is with just the boards I have, should I see "some" life other than "Its Showtime!"?

Thank you for the help!

#2 2 years ago

Not much without the PPB (playfield power board). Just audio, display, and GI lights.

It sounds like you are missing the display board as well.

The board in the cabinet that you are missing is known as the flipper board.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Not much without the PPB (playfield power board). Just audio, display, and GI lights.
It sounds like you are missing the display baord as well.
The board in the cabinet that you are missing is known as the flipper board.

hmmm - so I should have audio, display, and GI. I'll hvae to recheck my connections. I'll upload some photos in case anyone sees anything I'm not.

#4 2 years ago

Okay - I uploaded some pictures here. I'm not getting anything on the DMD, but I do have 5+ volts going to it from that 3-pin connector (key in middle). Here are my connections on the board. There is one that's all black wires I photographed, and there are two options that would fit on that plug. It may not matter but I wanted to point it out. There is also a black/yellow connector (5-pin) that is near the power supply, but doesn't seem to go anywhere. It may go to the PBB but I am unsure. I bought this with no boards other than a sound board (and wrong MPU) so any help making sure I have things correct would be much appreciated!

RB1 (resized).jpegRB1 (resized).jpegRB2 (resized).jpegRB2 (resized).jpegRB3 (resized).jpegRB3 (resized).jpegRB4 (resized).jpegRB4 (resized).jpegRB5 (resized).jpegRB5 (resized).jpegRB6 (resized).jpegRB6 (resized).jpegRB7 (resized).jpegRB7 (resized).jpegRB8 (resized).jpegRB8 (resized).jpegRB9 (resized).jpegRB9 (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago

Disregard! Found some things not hooked up properly to the PS board - lord..... Also have a wire lose so I'll make a new connection. Will report back later!

#6 2 years ago

Side note - my power supply board.....CN7 - has a 5-pin plug with one key - but my schematic shows a 3-pin connection. The 3-pin is

Pin 1 - Brown/Green (Coil Drive 11)
Pin 2 - Key
Pin 3 - Red (power supply CN3)

Do I just plug mine in normally here and leave the other pins exposed?

Additionally, CN3 on the power supply is supposed to be a 9 pin connection with a key at pin 9. However, my power supply itself has a pin on pin 9. I suppose this is what makes this interchangeable with all power supplies, but am I supposed to just cut the pin off?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Disregard! Found some things not hooked up properly to the PS board - lord..... Also have a wire lose so I'll make a new connection. Will report back later!

Even if it's not hooked up properly, I already know why you don't have any GI lights. You have nothing inserted in CN8 on the power supply. That port is for the GI output.

Can you take a picture of the backside of the speaker panel? That's where the display board is mounted as seen in this photo.

Is the DMD the plasma or an LED?

#8 2 years ago

Shogun00

Here you go! I appreciate all the help! I'm learning - just slowly!

Also I included a photo to show I put together CN7 - I haven't fired it up like that, but it makes sense looking at the diagram. Additionally, you can see where my CN3 has pins on all the slots, but my connection has Pin 9 having a key - so I assume I just cut that pin off?

unfortunately, after examining CN8 more, I will have to make a new connection there.

RB10 (resized).jpegRB10 (resized).jpegRB11 (resized).jpegRB11 (resized).jpegRB12 (resized).jpegRB12 (resized).jpegRB13 (resized).jpegRB13 (resized).jpegRB14 (resized).jpegRB14 (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Side note - my power supply board.....CN7 - has a 5-pin plug with one key - but my schematic shows a 3-pin connection. The 3-pin is
Pin 1 - Brown/Green (Coil Drive 11)
Pin 2 - Key
Pin 3 - Red (power supply CN3)
Do I just plug mine in normally here and leave the other pins exposed?

Yes! Later DE machines use a 5 pin connector.

Additionally, CN3 on the power supply is supposed to be a 9 pin connection with a key at pin 9. However, my power supply itself has a pin on pin 9. I suppose this is what makes this interchangeable with all power supplies, but am I supposed to just cut the pin off?

Yup! Similar to CN7, the CN3 plug is different in later machines. Just remove the little key from the connector.

#10 2 years ago

You have more fundamental problems. I wouldn't worry about the GI until you fix these problems.

de_cpu.jpgde_cpu.jpg
#11 2 years ago

I don't see any wires from CN5 going directly to the DMD. In other words, the DMD itself isn't getting any power.

Quoted from Turdbol:

Additionally, you can see where my CN3 has pins on all the slots, but my connection has Pin 9 having a key - so I assume I just cut that pin off?

I would just pop out the key (a paperclip will work), that way the power supply could be used in other machines later down the road.

As for the remaining 2 boards you need.

Xpin has made a modern PPB for R&B.
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-deppb/

Pinball Life carries a Rottendog DE flipper board. Make sure you set the dip switches to your machine.
https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-data-east-universal-flipper-board.html

Edit: Definitely take care of the chips on the MPU that Dumbass pointed out.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You have more fundamental problems. I wouldn't worry about the GI until you fix these problems.
[quoted image]

Wow - thank you! I guess the guy I bought the board from just stuck them in there!

#13 2 years ago

Shogun00 DumbAss

Am I correct that nothing would show on the DMD until I get that ram and processor? I've got the pin removed, placed in. I guess its 10 pins on the board and 9 pins on the connector, so I started at PIN 1.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Am I correct that nothing would show on the DMD until I get that ram and processor? I've got the pin removed, placed in. I guess its 10 pins on the board and 9 pins on the connector, so I started at PIN 1.

The display board has its own processor, so it will at least turn on and flash up the display rom's version number on the DMD.

Yes, start at pin # 1.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

The display board has its own processor, so it will at least turn on and flash up the display rom's version number on the DMD.
Yes, start at pin # 1.

Well poop. Mine doesn't.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

Well poop. Mine doesn't.

Looking at your display board. It looks like you are missing the processor for that one too.
Edit: This is what happens when I look at a board upside down. See Dumbass' post below.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Looking at your display board. It looks like you are missing the processor for that one too.

No.

de_dmc.jpgde_dmc.jpg

Board layout.

de_dmc_520-5055-00.jpgde_dmc_520-5055-00.jpg

#18 2 years ago

Following as I have a lot of work to do on one too!

BF3DB3CD-CE94-44DC-AB96-D1F0A87FF212 (resized).jpegBF3DB3CD-CE94-44DC-AB96-D1F0A87FF212 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

3,900 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-and-bullwinkle-will-it-show-life-with-only-a-ps-mpu-and-sb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.