• Latest reply 6 years ago by pookycade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6258 (resized).JPG
IMG_6260 (resized).JPG
IMG_6259 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

DMD driver and power supply both Rottendog. Stays on for 30 seconds until score comes up and then goes blank. It will intermittently come on at beginning of each ball and show the score but never any animations and only lasts 5 seconds then. In diagnostic mode screens seems to have possible corruption. Not sure what is going on. Bad cable ?

IMG_6259 (resized).JPGIMG_6259 (resized).JPG
IMG_6260 (resized).JPGIMG_6260 (resized).JPG
IMG_6258 (resized).JPGIMG_6258 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#2 6 years ago

Ok I can officially rule out the data cable as I replaced that without effect. So the display isn't resetting during the game or else I would see the rom reset message. Similarly it doesn't seem to be just dying as I can go into adjustment mode. I suspect the power is ok as voltages check out and it is running off of a Rottendog DMD driver and a Rottendog power supply. Nevertheless after getting to the score it goes blank, no animations, or anything except when moving to the next ball wherein it briefly again flashes the score. Anyone have any ideas ? Is this a bad DMD rom, a bad game rom on the MPU. Otherwise the game plays as expected with respect to sound and playfield lights. So I'm at a loss here as to what the heck is going on and I don't have a replacement DMD to throw in there to further diagnose

#3 6 years ago

Ok here is my guess: the PIA is bad on the MPU board leading to this intermittent functioning. Some data must be getting from MPU to DMD driver or else there would be no correct score. But it must be choking on the higher data rate animations. I don't have a replacement MPU board to test. I can buy one but that's an expensive test. Any other ideas here ? Will the data east test eprom give me he proper yes/no answer ?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like you replaced one ribbon cable. Was it the one from the MPU to the DMD controller board or the small one from the DMD controller board to the DMD? Or both? Either one can cause issues.
If you did not change the small one from the DMD controller to the DMD, you can take the one out of one of your Bally/Williams games and use for testing, even though it is 3 feet longer than it needs to be just to rule it out.

You sure could swap the DMD from STTNG, Dr Who, WCS94, Fish Tales, or even JD if you have an original orange plasma DMD to use for testing. They are all universal, even though the brand name on the DMD may be different. Personally, I don't think it is a DMD. Or remove the DMD out of the R&B and put it in any of those games.
If all else fails, need to test out the DMD controller and/or DMD controller in someone's else's game. Doesn't have to be a R&B, just as long as it is a 128x32 DMD game.

Yes I pulled a DMD 10 pin cable from my Congo to the R+B and same thing. Also swapped the Congo DMD to my R+B and same problem. SOOOO it's either the MPU or the Rottendog DMD controller on the R+B. If I had another data east game it would be an easy diagnostic. But I don't. So I'm kinda stuck unless I just go buy something.

#9 6 years ago

Ok I'm gonna answer my own question for posterity. Doesn't seem to be much that people know about these data east DMDs from my perusal of other threads.

Anyway, I purchased the Data East MPU Test EPROM from EBay (also available on Marco). By flash codes PIA4 at position 9B is a fail. So the issue is the MPU after all. Will reach out to Chris and see if he can repair. I can do it too but it will be more of a mess than if he does.

So basically you can get many aspects of the display that look correct (correct score, credits and ball comes up intermittently) and still have a bad PIA on the MPU board. I suspect some text and score animation is held in rom on the DMD controller itself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 29.50
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,900 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-and-bullwinkle-flaky-dmd?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.