(Topic ID: 132864)

Rocky and Bullwinkle - Drop Targets not reset when all have dropped

By JoshODBrown

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 8 years ago

Just recently got a Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. Seemed to be working ok for the most part for the last couple days, but I noticed an issue this evening with the SAVED drop targets not resetting, specifically when all 5 have been dropped. If its just 1,2,3 or 4 dropped it appears to reset ok... but once all 5 dropped, the coil fires to reset them but it seems a bit weaker and attempts a few times and gives up. I have also confirmed this in coil test mode, by manually dropping all the targets and trying to fire the coil to reset, and no luck. If I reset the targets manually, then dropping just a few of them and firing the coil again it resets ok, just not when all 5 targets have been dropped. I don't believe there is a particular drop target that is causing the problem, but I haven't completely ruled that out.

This is my first pin, but I have been collecting arcade games for a bit, so I am pretty comfortable working with a multi meter, switches, wiring.

Any suggestions on what items I should take a closer look at would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

#2 8 years ago

I had this issue on my Data East Star Wars. This game has a 3 bank drop target set. It would have trouble resetting if all three were down.

I pulled the drop target set and cleaned it all up... but this did not fix the problem.

It turns out the springs that pull the drop targets down were too strong. The real fix for mine was to just stretch the springs out a little bit. They are now still strong enough to pull the drop targets down, but not too strong so the reset coil is able to reset them correctly.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I had this issue on my Data East Star Wars. This game has a 3 bank drop target set. It would have trouble resetting if all three were down.
I pulled the drop target set and cleaned it all up... but this did not fix the problem.
It turns out the springs that pull the drop targets down were too strong. The real fix for mine was to just stretch the springs out a little bit. They are now still strong enough to pull the drop targets down, but not too strong so the reset coil is able to reset them correctly.

This seems like a possibility. I notice that the coil has a harder time resetting 4 targets than it does compared to 1, 2, or even 3. I wonder that the coil itself perhaps needs to be replaced if it suddenly doesn't have enough strength to push the targets up? I found another post where folks suggested the spring fix like yours, and another suggestion to add some washers to the assembly in a certain section, because the early units with this type of drop target assembly had some wear issues, and adding the couple washers helps put some space between the bar that lifts the targets so it gets some momentum before it hits them and can successfully push them up. Also suggested was to clean up the assembly, because it could be gunked up. I'll have a better chance to look at them this weekend.

Cheers!

#4 8 years ago

Clean the targets, the plunger and the linkage, check the axles where the bar that raises the targets are not bound up. Manually reset the targets with the game off to feel where the resistance is coming from. Unless the coil is burned I would not suspect it. It sounds like a friction/mechanical issue. Good luck!

#5 8 years ago

Yeah sounds like a friction/mechanical issue. On my R&B, it lifts all 5 targets up with ease and authority, but everything I have down there is museum-quality restored.

1 month later
#6 8 years ago

been a while since I took a look at the drop targets as they were resetting properly like 99% of the time since I last posted, but today they were failing almost every time and I had enough. I stretched out a couple of the springs on just 2 targets and this made a huge difference. Previously, the coil would try to fire 3 times at most to be able to reset them. Now when all 5 targets drop, the coil fires only once and everything is good to go!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Happy gaming!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,900 (OBO)
$ 18.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-and-bullwinkle-drop-targets-not-reset-when-all-have-dropped and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.