IMG_3830 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_1320 (resized).JPG
IMG_1326 (resized).JPG
IMG_1323 (resized).JPG
20141010_153902-1.jpg
20140617_162234.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hello, I have a RockMakers that has had the cabinet painted over. I need some pictures of the sides of the cabinet and the backbox so I can repaint it. All I can find online are extremely faded ones at best (such as the ones on ipdb). Does anyone have one of these with the right colors (or at least not faded completely to pale gray) that they can take some snaps of and post them here? Or anywhere for that matter?

Thanks,
TimeTraveler

#2 10 years ago

No idea where to find those images, except maybe the original flyer might give you a better idea of the colors.

Is that game fun? I love the zipper flipper games (and would like to have a full set someday) but I almost never hear anything about that game.

#3 10 years ago

I have an original flyer and have compared with a scan available online and the way the photo was taken for the flyer was extremely dark so the colors aren't clear on there. Not to mention that there is a clip of a girl from the backglass on covering part of the cabinet, so that doesn't help either. I have one glancing shot of the side of the machine from an old ad that shows the side colors reasonably well (compared to the washed out grays that every other picture has), but I just have that one and I would like some clear side shots. Apparently this machine is a lot rarer than the manufacturing numbers indicate.

The play is good. The layout is different from most EM's that I've seen. The upper flipper does have a purpose, just seems to be too wimpy to execute it though. There are no drop targets, which theoretically would allow for the flippers to be juiced up, but it uses an unusual two section solenoid arraignment making it a non standard affair to do that. Later zipper flipper games apparently don't use the same design so I don't know what the story is there. With the normal configuration, the ball sometimes is flitting around like crazy and sometimes really dogging out (like a drop target game with a ten bank). It's cool, I like it. Not a lot of Flintstoney themed games out there for sure.

TT

#4 10 years ago

Sometimes there are un faded samples of paint under the coin door frame.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes there are un faded samples of paint under the coin door frame.

Oh, good call. Also (depending on how thorough the re-painter was) maybe under the legs, even under the playfield glass frame. But I think vid1900 has it.

#6 10 years ago

I am pretty sure you can replace those dual bobbin flipper coils with standard three lug flipper coils. That is just how Bally did them during that era.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1980&picno=20083

#7 10 years ago

No joy on the coin door. There were some original color remnants but I can see why the previous owner painted over it.

Good to know on the flipper coils. I will explore that at a future date.

#8 10 years ago

Then your last chance for good paint is by removing a side rail.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I am pretty sure you can replace those dual bobbin flipper coils with standard three lug flipper coils. That is just how Bally did them during that era.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1980&picno=20083

You can. I've done it. Just make sure you wire it up correctly.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You can. I've done it. Just make sure you wire it up correctly.

ditto

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Then your last chance for good paint is by removing a side rail.

RockMakers has the lift up glass frame. No siderails to remove. You lift up the glass and it's all there.

#12 10 years ago

Yep, all white under there. So I guess whatever pallet I choose for the colors will be as good as the mysterious original.

I'll look into that 3 lug swapout. Thanks.

#13 10 years ago

There are 20 owners of this pin on the Pinball Owners website. Try contacting some of them to see if they can help you out. Here is the link.

http://www.pinballowners.com/CGI/psearch.cgi

Good luck.

#14 10 years ago

Oh, that's a good idea. There are 5 owners here on Pinside:

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/rockmakers/owners

1 year later
#15 9 years ago

Check my pics at pinball owners under steamfitter . I sanded mine until I could see the lines , then traced it and made MDF stencils . I still have them turned pretty nice .

#16 9 years ago
20140617_162234.jpg20140617_162234.jpg 20141010_153902-1.jpg20141010_153902-1.jpg
5 years later
#18 3 years ago

Steamfitter

Nice looking job. I scraped two layers of paint off, but the design was not clear enough to copy. I will use your photo and layout the cabinet and head.

Thanks
Kickout

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Kickout:

Steamfitter
Nice looking job. I scraped two layers of paint off, but the design was not clear enough to copy. I will use your photo and layout the cabinet and head.
Thanks
Kickout

If you need more straight on pictures, PM me and I can send you whatever you need from mine.
IMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1320 (resized).JPGIMG_1320 (resized).JPGIMG_1326 (resized).JPGIMG_1326 (resized).JPG

#20 3 years ago

Steamfitter

PM sent

#21 3 years ago

Here are some straight on pictures of my Rockmakers. A previous owner did the repaint years ago so I have no info on color matching.
IMG_3828 (resized).JPGIMG_3828 (resized).JPG
IMG_3829 (resized).JPGIMG_3829 (resized).JPG
IMG_3830 (resized).JPGIMG_3830 (resized).JPG
IMG_3831 (resized).JPGIMG_3831 (resized).JPG

3 years later
#22 5 months ago

Not sure why they did circles on the head instead of the asymetrical rock shapes seen on the cab.

I like the colors used on the repaint Ballypin, it looks nice.

4 months later
#23 10 days ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Here are some straight on pictures of my Rockmakers. A previous owner did the repaint years ago so I have no info on color matching.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

THANK YOU Ballypin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It won't be perfect but a little better than what it was. Have curves on order to get the arcs right-ish.

The factory purple is nice but yea, it was very pink. No wonder so few survived simply due to the cabinet colors.

IMG_2641 (resized).JPGIMG_2641 (resized).JPGIMG_2651 (resized).JPGIMG_2651 (resized).JPGIMG_2653 (resized).JPGIMG_2653 (resized).JPG
IMG_2611 (resized).JPGIMG_2611 (resized).JPG

#24 10 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

It won't be perfect but a little better than what it was. Have some curves ordered to get the arcs right.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#25 9 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

It won't be perfect but a little better than what it was. Have curves on order to get the arcs right-ish.
The factory purple is nice but yea, it was very pink. No wonder so few survived simply due to the cabinet colors.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

You’re very welcome. Keep us posted on your progress.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rockmakers-cabinet-pictures-needed?hl=kickout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.