Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130922_005019.jpg
20130922_005557b.jpg
RSgameoverlamp.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello everybody,

now I started restoration of my Rocket Ship (Gottlieb 1958).

But as you know there is not a Game-Over lamp in this game. The hole in the backboard is there and on the backglass it is written, but the hole is empty and no cables are there.. In the schematic too it cannot be found.

Has anybody ever installed this "Game-Over-Lamp" in Rocket Ship and how did you do? I don´t know where I should connect the cable (to which relay) in a way that it looks like originally done.

Thank you for your ideas and answers,

Michael (P.S: apologize for my poor English)

#2 8 years ago

This is a great & easy improvement.

RSgameoverlamp.jpgRSgameoverlamp.jpg

The fix was provided to me by OTTOgd a little while back of which I was very grateful. I have sent you a PM.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you very much Wayner.

Another ideas?

Greets
Michael

#4 8 years ago

Care to share with other Rocketship owners?

Thanks,
Walt

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Care to share with other Rocketship owners?
Thanks,
Walt

Here goes:
-insert bulb holder to vacant hole behind backglass game over feature;
-route bulb holder ground to braided ground *;
-route bulb holder pos to match feature red+blk terminal*.
* I have used alligator clips in each case so the enhancement can be immediately removed if desired.
This is a very simple quick & easy enhancement which really adds to the backglass patina.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Here goes:
-insert bulb holder to vacant hole behind backglass game over feature;
-route bulb holder ground to braided ground *;
-route bulb holder pos to match feature red+blk terminal*.
* I have used alligator clips in each case so the enhancement can be immediately removed if desired.
This is a very simple quick & easy enhancement which really adds to the backglass patina.

This I will have to do
Thank you so... much.

#7 8 years ago

Yeah, it's a simple, reversible fix.

Red wire to Match feature wire and black to ground.

20130922_005557b.jpg20130922_005557b.jpg
20130922_005019.jpg20130922_005019.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Thanks!!
I wonder why Gottlieb never did it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

I wonder why Gottlieb never did it.

There's some evidence that suggests Gottlieb was anticipating an 'add a ball' mode (or versions), and would have used the 'Game Over' light to indicate the real end of such a game. With the replay versions, the game was clearly over after all five balls had been played, which were visible through the apron. So lighting 'Game Over' on the backglass may have been considered overkill (or at least redundant).

But with an add a ball game concept, knowing which ball was the actual 'last ball' would have been more confusing, since you may have been able to keep playing sets of balls. Having a Game Over light to call it out would help to make it clear.

At least that's my theory...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alameda, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-ship-game-over-lamp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.