Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space X (resized).png
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpeg
    20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5840 (resized).jpeg
    B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    VenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpg
    james-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg
    Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20221027_182459 (resized).jpg
    20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    20221027_181714 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 6 years ago

Working at Kennedy Space Center, we get to see them up CLOSE:

www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-in-on-tesla-model-3/page/24#post-4226841

1 week later
    #75 6 years ago

This is the site we all use to track launch dates:

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

1 month later
    #84 5 years ago

Just got home from the launch. I sat on console watching telemetry data back here at Kennedy Space Center. There were some problems early in the countdown, but ULA was able to work around and get the launch off on time. This being a planetary mission we only have a few weeks to launch or have to wait another couple of years for the next window to Mars. Insight was already delayed from a couple of years ago. Atlas V is still an awesome rocket. That makes 78 out of 78 Atlas V launches with mission success!

5 months later
    2 months later
    #128 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Damn, I went to the Space X site and I couldn't fine the launch, all I could find was the Dec 5th launch.

This launch was by ULA, not SpaceX.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

That bit of black smoke didn’t seem right, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

The Delta IV always has a lot of flames that look strange. They are expected according to their own press releases from previous flights.

#130 5 years ago

https://www.ulalaunch.com/missions/delta-iv-nrol-71

This is a HUGE rocket. NASA used a Delta IV Heavy to launch to the Sun recently. Notice the major amount of flames well before the rocket lifts off.

2 months later
    #225 5 years ago

I worked supporting the launch in a very minor role last night here in Florida. It sure was exciting. The primary mission seems to be going well from all the information released online. The landing was amazing and the seas were a little rough. Getting the first stage back is quite a good thing for a test mission like this because it will allow a full post flight inspection. The main purpose of landing the first stage is to save money by reusing them, but the benefits to verifying the design extend well beyond that primary reason.

It was also good to see Ripley make it to orbit on a nice smooth ride.

1 month later
    #235 5 years ago

I watched from my front yard. Could even see the two boosters flying back to land and ran back inside to see them touch down.

2 months later
    #259 4 years ago

I'll be watching from up close!

3 weeks later
    #266 4 years ago

Nice video someone took from Kennedy Space Center of the Falcon Heavy. This one has decent sound and captured the sonic booms. Notice that even this close the sound takes a while to arrive.

#268 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

That's cool as hell. I could not do 2:30 in the morning though. One of these days....

Haha yeah. I slept until the rumble woke me up and then ran outside to watch from the front yard. I got to see the separation and the returning boosters firing. The sonic boom was really loud.

#269 4 years ago

Europe about to launch:

Edit: Oops! Looks like major malfunction and mission failure. Like Pinball, launching isn't easy...

3 weeks later
    #270 4 years ago

Cool video of the last Falcon landing. Fast forward to 7 minutes for the real action.

10 months later
    #325 3 years ago

I spotted the returned stage 1 vehicle from the crew launch across the inlet while eating lunch in Port Canaveral yesterday.

20200605_081243 (resized).jpg20200605_081243 (resized).jpg

5 months later
    #353 3 years ago

Two pictures from today in Central Florida. First I spotted the Falcon 9 while eating lunch. It was across the water in Port Canaveral where the landing barge goes in and out of.

Second is the trail from an Atlas V that just launched a few minutes ago. This picture is from my front yard.

20201113_113746 (resized).jpg20201113_113746 (resized).jpg20201113_173452 (resized).jpg20201113_173452 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #360 3 years ago

Those of us on the west coast need to watch for the launch tomorrow morning. Check the SpaceX youtube or NASA TV networks.

4 months later
    #497 3 years ago

We were eating dinner tonight in Port Canaveral and snapped a couple of pictures of the latest SpaceX booster on the barge. This one is looking particularly toasty after many landings.

SpaceX uses a crane to lower the booster onto a large flatbed truck and carry it back to the hangar.

20210327_190115.jpg20210327_190115.jpg20210327_195051.jpg20210327_195051.jpg
    #507 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

They launch to the south; better viewing from east of the point down the coast, though access may be limited.

Jolama Beach would be a good spot!

3 weeks later
    #527 2 years ago

SLS is a HUGE rocket. It just arrived today at Kennedy Space Center. I can't wait to see this launch from up close. I will be there in the VAB parking lot.

#529 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Good for you! Pictures are mandatory!
    How are you involved?

I work at the Space Center on an unrelated project. That frees me up to stand around and watch the SLS launch.

2 weeks later
    #540 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

SBIRS GEO-5Atlas V 421 Florida launch in about 10-20 min. Sorry for late notice.
    https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/

We watched it launch on youtube today and headed out into the front yard after lift off to watch it with our own eyes. This one had two solid rocket motors strapped on so it was really moving fast. I didn't think to snap a picture with my phone until it popped into the clouds. The wind direction and clouds also led to less than normal rumble and noise at my house. Even still any day you see a launch is a good day - especially one as important as this.

20210518_133841 (resized).jpg20210518_133841 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #546 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Wish I was in Florida, love night launches live. T-30 minutes

This one was pretty cool. It was a little hazy/foggy out so the rocket was a blurred light in the sky. The cool thing about a night like this is the moisture seems to transmit the sound really well. It shook my house to the foundation tonight!

1 month later
    6 months later
    #594 2 years ago

Incredible Falcon 9 launch tonight from the Space Coast in Florida. The rocket headed south giving us a broadside view lit up by the setting sun. I was able to see stage two all the way to the horizon and watch stage one turn around and boost back to the launch pad clear as a bell. Even got a nice sonic boom as it was landing on land instead of the barge. Definitely a good one to watch the replay on youtube.

Attached a picture of the re-entry burn of stage one taken from my front yard.
    VideoCapture_20220131-182747 (resized).jpgVideoCapture_20220131-182747 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #605 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Just found out the first stage on Antares is mostly made in the Ukraine. Engines too.

Actually the engines are made in Russia ironically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antares_(rocket)

#607 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I remember seeing the documentary where they (Russia) had stored a bunch of Soviet engines in some old building and those were eventually found, sold, and brought back to the states and refurbished/upgraded. RD180 engines, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe even closed cycle too.

Its all in the wiki page posted above. The NK-33 was the engine used on the Russian moon rocket that failed miserably on all 4 attempts to launch. They had a bunch leftover which were hidden at the end of the cold war. Orbital ATK attempted to use them 4 decades later on the first few Antares missions to no avail as the last attempt tried to bore its way through the earth to China. They switch to newly made RD181 motors from Russia and those seem to be working fine. The similar RD180 is the motor used on Atlas V.

6 months later
    #684 1 year ago

Definitely whacked it dead center. Super clear video.

1 week later
    #688 1 year ago

Tonight's SpaceX launch from my front yard at sunset.

20221008_190743 (resized).jpg20221008_190743 (resized).jpg20221008_190838 (resized).jpg20221008_190838 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #704 1 year ago

It really lit up the sky here and was loud as hell for a long time. Definitely a beast. As for cameras, there are actually 24 cameras on board. There is only so much bandwidth for transmitting to the ground during ascent, so the offloading the critical data from sensors around the vehicle in real time takes priority in case there is an accident or something. A vehicle this big on its first flight there have to be thousands of sensors everywhere. The initial camera views if any might be low resolution and will be downloaded later at full 4K or whatever resolution. I am sure there will be incredible videos to follow. Sure it would have been nice to have one or two live HD cameras I agree, but the whole broadcast was a little lacking if you ask me. I would trade a video camera for much simpler things like some cool telemetry showing speeds and maybe an announcer who was a little more informative during the countdown.

#707 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

How far away were you?

I was in my front yard. Probably about 15 miles as the crow flies. Still close enough to be able to read by the light and feel the rumble. This is significantly bigger than the SpaceX rockets and the solid motors burn more brightly. If it was a daytime launch, I probably would have driven on base to see it up close. I saw the SpaceX heavy launch recently from up close and was REALLY close to the dual stage landing for that mission.

1 week later
    #711 1 year ago
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpgIMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #721 1 year ago

Orion landing about to happen. NASA channel or look on youtube...

1 week later
    #726 1 year ago

Well launching rockets is not easy. This video gets really uncomfortable as they are showering praise on how great this rocket design is as the trajectory is clearly heading to the ocean instead of space.

https://www.space.com/arianespace-vega-c-launch-failure-december-2022

2 weeks later
    #730 1 year ago

Just watched the Falcon 9 take off and landing from my front yard. I should have had my camera ready for this one. Nice clear night and the re-entry burn passed right by the moon! The landing burn was also clearly visible through the trees.

1 month later
    1 month later
    #760 1 year ago

This Starship thing could be interesting. It certainly is HUGE. We will see if they can launch today. Lots going on so don't be surprised if it doesn't go today.

1 week later
    #773 12 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Falcon Heavy is up next tonight. 7:29 PM eastern

Looks like that moved to tonight. Must be a really heavy satellite, it says online that none of the three first stage boosters will have enough fuel to fly back and be recovered.

3 months later
    #794 8 months ago

Falcon Heavy Echostar launch from my front yard last night. Lit up the whole sky and was able to occasionally see it through the clouds. It was good and loud and the sonic booms from the double landing definitely woke anyone who went to bed early!

20230729_072930 (resized).jpg20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #802 6 months ago

Falcon Heavy just launch the NASA Psyche probe to a metal world yesterday. Quite the rumble and a dual landing on land. Here is the heavy metal tribute to the mission:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-launch-tonight-at-527-vaf-base?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.