Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space X (resized).png
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpeg
    20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5840 (resized).jpeg
    B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    VenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpg
    james-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg
    Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20221027_182459 (resized).jpg
    20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    20221027_181714 (resized).jpg
    There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
    #402 3 years ago

Doing a google search about the recent FAA/SpaceX squabble that delayed the launch twice last week, I don't have much hope for a Monday launch of SN9.

#403 3 years ago

Will it fly today?

#404 3 years ago

Looks like the FAA gave their blessing!

#405 3 years ago

Less then 10 minutes maybe

#407 3 years ago

Yeah pretty impressive flight...back to the drawing board on the landing.

#408 3 years ago

I hate to see them blow up, but damn fing neat stuff. One big remote control rocket.
    Got SN10 sitting there waiting.

#409 3 years ago

Wonder what SN10’s face looked like at time of landing

#410 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Wonder what SN10’s face looked like at time of landing

It'll be interesting to see what was up w/the 2nd engine. I saw a piece come flying out out the engine area when it tried to relite (NasaSpaceFlight feed).

SpaceX feed had a camera angle directly under Starship as it was coming down. Incredible video.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#411 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

It'll be interesting to see what was up w/the 2nd engine. I saw a piece come flying out out the engine area when it tried to relite (NasaSpaceFlight feed).
    SpaceX feed had a camera angle directly under Starship as it was coming down. Incredible video.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Saw that too! Something came loose.
    Also that thruster buzzing around after crash was interesting.

#412 3 years ago

What are essential watches from previous launches?

I just enjoyed

S5 150m hop success
    S8 looked close !

#413 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Saw that too! Something came loose.
    Also that thruster buzzing around after crash was interesting.

Here's the part again (SnipIt capture, not a video)...

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What are essential watches from previous launches?
    I just enjoyed
    S5 150m hop success
    S8 looked close !

Just go to YouTube and look for:

Nasaspaceflight (Live feeds 24/7, and has commentary during important stuff, some of the best cameras)
    LabPadre (Live feeds 24/7, and has commentary during important stuff, some of the best and closest cameras)
    What about it!? (Uses LabPadre feeds, but Felix is fun to watch, has made some interesting space videos)
    Everyday Astronaut (Live feeds during important stuff, but Tim has a ton of really interesting and very well made videos, all space related. He's even interviewed Elon Musk)

All these guys are seriously devoted, and I tend to bounce around between them.

So snoop around those sites, you'll see some highlights of everything. SpaceX is getting a ton of attention because it seems like everyday they a doing something new. Boca Chica, Texas is where the StarShip activity is at. Just very strange to see rockets parts out in the open, people moving parts with cranes, and forklifts, guys welding, etc. SN9 even tipped in the assemble building and they just took a crane over and tipped it upright and replaced the flaps. Very surreal compared to NASA's sterile environment.

Here's a fun fact: SN9's flaps that move during the decent?...driven by a Tesla 3 motor.

#417 3 years ago

Damn work interrupting my youtube watching! I missed launch but got to see rocket safely touchdown!

1 week later
    #418 3 years ago

Well don’t know much about this one but it’s live now

#419 3 years ago
    5838A9A2-D40F-4E74-BB25-57047D3E672C (resized).jpeg5838A9A2-D40F-4E74-BB25-57047D3E672C (resized).jpeg
    #420 3 years ago

Space X direct link

#421 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Space X direct link

Awesome!! Thanks

#422 3 years ago

Almost forgot - thanks for the reminder!

Edit: Looks like I'm a bit late, will rewind the video and pretend it's live.

#423 3 years ago

Great launch. Bummer, first stage missed the drone ship by about 150 feet.
    I wonder if they can pull it up from ocean floor?Shame they cant design an emergency float system.

#424 3 years ago

I wonder if they can pull it up from ocean floor?Shame they cant design an emergency float system.

Sometime ago, I heard on one of the streaming sites usually mentioned in this thread, that if the returning booster has a problem, that it will try to steer itself away to help prevent damage to the landing area. Don't know if that was the case in this launch, just more of a FYI.

If I'm not mistaken, SpaceX initially practiced landing in the water early on when they were sorting things out. So it will be interesting to see if any of the booster is salvageable.

The NasaSpaceFlight guys did mention SpaceX doesn't have a lot of extra boosters, so this might impact future launches because they planned on a ton of StarLink launches this year. 2 a week, I think.

#425 3 years ago

That was a bummer. Still a positive result though thankfully. Curious, with all the large open areas available why not just land them on land instead of a small moving boat in an unpredictable ocean? On land you could miss by a 1/4 mile and have no issues. Curious.

#426 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

That was a bummer. Still a positive result though thankfully. Curious, with all the large open areas available why not just land them on land instead of a small moving boat in an unpredictable ocean? On land you could miss by a 1/4 mile and have no issues. Curious.

It depends on the trajectory and probably the payload. I don't know all the details, but in a nut shell, the booster can't make it back to land on certain flights.

#427 3 years ago

Perseverance Mars rover landing going live today in 90 minutes. This is being streamed on most platforms so if you prefer Twitch it’s on the NASA channel there too.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Perseverance Mars rover landing going live today in 90 minutes.

Cool, made it to work today but not many other Houstonians did so I'll be watching this one!

Thanks.

#429 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Perseverance Mars rover landing going live today in 90 minutes. This is being streamed on most platforms so if you prefer Twitch it’s on the NASA channel there too.

Just enough time to snow blow (again) and make it back in to watch.

If anyone is interested, Felix on the 'What About It' Youtube Channel is streaming now, answering questions.

Sounds like the NASA video will be awhile due to the limited bandwidth back from Mars, but they should have a status reports.

#430 3 years ago

Another good live channel

#431 3 years ago

NASA channel on Twitch is also live too.

#432 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Another good live channel

LOL, sometimes I have NASASpaceFlight on the TV and one of the others on the computer at the same time.

Sidebar...my son and his family was heading down to FLA Jan 2021 for Disney/Universal. I told him about the Falcon 9 launch and they scheduled it into their 'things to do'. They made the trip to the cape and did indeed see it launch. While he was waiting, he gave me a 'shout out' on the NasaSpaceFlight chat screen. LOL, really neat to see that scroll by. When he was younger, we saw a shuttle take off.

#433 3 years ago

Good story mbwalker !! Gooo NASA,Sweeeet

#434 3 years ago

Some of the first images!

1E289A9A-40FA-4A30-A6C5-25B9197798C8 (resized).jpeg1E289A9A-40FA-4A30-A6C5-25B9197798C8 (resized).jpeg34E529BA-0D67-4A3F-8AF1-B50D170E3290 (resized).jpeg34E529BA-0D67-4A3F-8AF1-B50D170E3290 (resized).jpegC35BF6CA-1A77-4083-9CDA-E75E864A0B5D (resized).jpegC35BF6CA-1A77-4083-9CDA-E75E864A0B5D (resized).jpeg

#435 3 years ago

Boy, a lot of dynamic things had to happen perfectly! Hard to believe they pulled off all those maneuvers automatically. Can't wait for the upload of the videos.

#436 3 years ago

And the adventure begins! This should be fun.

#437 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

martian (resized).pngmartian (resized).png
    #438 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So I heard they are flying a drone on this mission?

#439 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

[quoted image]

Funny. With that picture. I always wondered as a government agency. What IF they landed and the first photos had aliens like that standing there? Would they share those with the world or say "hell no" way too much to share and freak people out! lol

#440 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

So I heard they are flying a drone on this mission?

Yes this is on board

690AFB66-BBCF-4962-8413-167398574F9A (resized).jpeg690AFB66-BBCF-4962-8413-167398574F9A (resized).jpeg
    #441 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Funny. With that picture. I always wondered as a government agency. What IF they landed and the first photos had aliens like that standing there? Would they share those with the world or say "hell no" way too much to share and freak people out! lol

No way would that photo be released to the public lol

#442 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yes this is on board[quoted image]

How far can it venture from the base lander?

#443 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Pretty Far, this baby purrs!

image0000001(3) (resized).pngimage0000001(3) (resized).png
    #444 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

This is my understanding.

vertibird (resized).pngvertibird (resized).png

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Not sure

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Not sure about that, but it sounds like it needs to stay a fair amount of distance away from rover. I think they said 100 meters?

Good to see the interest on this thread!

#447 3 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

Good story mbwalker !! Gooo NASA,Sweeeet

A funny sidebar to my sidebar. We went into the Kennedy gift shop after the shuttle launch we witnessed (this was in the 80's). They had a close up poster of a shuttle launch, like REALLY close. So I snapped a picture of it. Had the pictures developed and showed it to coworkers....and they said "How in the hell did you get so close?!!". Still chuckling when typing this about their flabbergasted comments. Totally had them fooled until I spilled the beans.

If I'm not mistaken, it was this poster:

#448 3 years ago

Did anyone else send your name to Mars on the Perseverance?

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/24877/send-your-name-placard-attached-to-perseverance/

(Right now the Martians are probably wondering why half of all Earthlings are named Hugh G. Rection.)

#449 3 years ago

Couple of color images released...not the best resolution yet NASA said much better photos to come. NASA stated that they will have a lot more released Monday...
    possibly video too.

34C1C40F-DFD6-4EC1-9E2E-9C74A98744AD (resized).jpeg34C1C40F-DFD6-4EC1-9E2E-9C74A98744AD (resized).jpeg412C2E82-0859-4842-8AC6-4F119BB7CD2E (resized).jpeg412C2E82-0859-4842-8AC6-4F119BB7CD2E (resized).jpeg

B4CD3FFE-A611-4487-8B4A-FC303333295F (resized).jpegB4CD3FFE-A611-4487-8B4A-FC303333295F (resized).jpeg

#450 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Couple of color images released...not the best resolution yet NASA said much better photos to come. NASA stated that they will have a lot more released Monday...
    possibly video too.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Hope they have a AAA station on that planet just in case. Crazy to see pictures from that planet. Amazing

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-launch-tonight-at-527-vaf-base/page/9?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.