Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space X (resized).png
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpeg
    20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5840 (resized).jpeg
    B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    VenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpg
    james-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg
    Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20221027_182459 (resized).jpg
    20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    20221027_181714 (resized).jpg
    There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.
    #151 5 years ago

nope

#152 5 years ago

It’s still a go right now

#153 5 years ago

Scrubbed, 531 pm pacific tomorrow.

#154 5 years ago

Your right scrubbed lol

#155 5 years ago

HYDROGEN-FLAMMABLE-GAS (resized).pngHYDROGEN-FLAMMABLE-GAS (resized).png

#157 5 years ago

(Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., Dec. 20, 2018) – The launch of a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy carrying the NROL-71 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office was scrubbed yesterday due to indications of elevated hydrogen concentrations within the port booster engine section.

The team is currently reviewing all data and set the next launch attempt no earlier than Dec. 30, 2018.

#158 5 years ago

One of them is on this Saturday morning. This

#159 5 years ago

What the hell? There was this thing in the sky that everyone including NASA is saying was a meteor. Was it not plainly a weather balloon of some sort? Come on really? At the exact time that a big rocket is about to be launched you mean to tell me a random meteor appeared in the sky right above where the rocket was going to launch, and oh by the way it doesn't look like any other meteor that comes crashing and burning through the atmosphere in a STRAIGHT LINE? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I was watching the web site as they were counting it down, unfortunately I can't find the timed feed anywhere, but they plainly said something like "the wind conditions in the upper atmosphere have been checked and the launch is ready to go" just a few minutes before the expected launch time. You know, like 5:36 PM. Like, the same time that thing showed up in the sky. Which was a weather balloon, not a meteor give me a break.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

What the hell? There was this thing in the sky that everyone including NASA is saying was a meteor. Was it not plainly a weather balloon of some sort? Come on really? At the exact time that a big rocket is about to be launched you mean to tell me a random meteor appeared in the sky right above where the rocket was going to launch, and oh by the way it doesn't look like any other meteor that comes crashing and burning through the atmosphere in a STRAIGHT LINE? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I was watching the web site as they were counting it down, unfortunately I can't find the timed feed anywhere, but they plainly said something like "the wind conditions in the upper atmosphere have been checked and the launch is ready to go" just a few minutes before the expected launch time. You know, like 5:36 PM. Like, the same time that thing showed up in the sky. Which was a weather balloon, not a meteor give me a break.

Does seem strange
    2E79045D-BD2E-43E0-A2FA-269908D2B0FA (resized).png2E79045D-BD2E-43E0-A2FA-269908D2B0FA (resized).png

#161 5 years ago

What timing, this morning around 2am a meteor probably the size of a dishwasher lit up the sky here in the MPLS/SP area and actually made a big BOOM sound. I was awake at that time but didn't see it but I sure heard it. Didn't look outside cuz I knew the sound always comes after the light like lightning. Google Meteor MPLS/SP and see if anything comes up. Some people caught it on video.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What timing, this morning around 2am a meteor probably the size of a dishwasher lit up the sky here in the MPLS/SP area and actually made a big BOOM sound. I was awake at that time but didn't see it but I sure heard it. Didn't look outside cuz I knew the sound always comes after the light like lightning. Google Meteor MPLS/SP and see if anything comes up. Some people caught it on video.

#163 5 years ago

Yup that's it, sure made a boom. I wonder if any pieces made it to the ground?

#164 5 years ago

I bet so. I was watching some show on meteorite hunters. I didn’t realize they are pretty valuable.

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I bet so. I was watching some show on meteorite hunters. I didn’t realize they are pretty valuable.

Oh yeah they are valuable. The one here was most likely a stony because it didn't reach the ground. The boom wasn't from it blowing up it was from passing the sound barrier and that's also how you can tell it was a bigger one. As a kid I saw one that was changing colors as it was coming in and it made a crack sound like a far away fire cracker. The one this morning sounded like a storm door when the wind takes it and it slammed against the house. Just one quick BOOM but no rumble after like lightning.

#168 5 years ago

I snapped these pics while on my way to Concord the other night. Was wondering what it was.

09011A9B-5FB7-448A-8847-7E6E3B19FAD0 (resized).jpeg09011A9B-5FB7-448A-8847-7E6E3B19FAD0 (resized).jpegC34BCF6B-EB0D-454D-B36E-75801A4ED7DC (resized).jpegC34BCF6B-EB0D-454D-B36E-75801A4ED7DC (resized).jpeg
    #169 5 years ago
    Quoted from johnnyutah:

I snapped these pics while on my way to Concord the other night. Was wondering what it was.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Official report is a meteor. Looks almost exactly like the picture I posted above.

#170 5 years ago

That's no meteor. I'd say something dropped from high altitude to check high altitude winds.

#171 5 years ago

That's what I was saying in my post above. But everyone, including NASA, says it was a meteor. I still stick with my story, weather balloon.

#172 5 years ago

#173 5 years ago

The most historic film and picture of all time.

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

The most historic film and picture of all time.

I believe you accidentally gave him a thumbs down.

#175 5 years ago

That moment was like the Phoenix of 1968, something great rising from the ashes of a horrible year. I was just over 2 months old.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe you accidentally gave him a thumbs down.

Oups your right, fixed it.

1 week later
    #177 5 years ago

Jan 8th

Launch time: 1548 GMT (10:48 a.m. EST; 7:48 a.m. PST)
    Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
    A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch 10 satellites for the Iridium next mobile communications fleet.

#179 5 years ago

ULA’s Delta IV Heavy rocket launch delayed indefinitely

The Delta IV Heavy rocket doesn’t appear to be launching any time soon.

According to The United Launch Alliance, it announced on Saturday the “Delta IV Heavy carrying the NROL-71 mission launch date is under review.”

A new launch date and time will be provided pending the results of additional testing, the company stated.

“We continue to remedy the technical issues that caused the last scrub of the Delta IV Heavy, and are working with our partners, the National Reconnaissance Office and the U.S. Air Force, to ensure that we fly when it is safe to do so,” said Gary Wentz, vice president of Government and Commercial programs, “we understand that this is a high-priority mission for the nation’s warfighters and we take our commitment to safety and mission assurance seriously.”

A launch alert email stated it more bluntly, “The Delta IV Heavy launch has been delayed indefinitely. There is no new launch date.”

The next announced Vandenberg AFB rocket launch is a Falcon 9 on the morning of January 8. The Falcon is scheduled to lift off from south base at 07:48 PST and carry Iridum NEXT satellites 66-75 into orbit.

#180 5 years ago

Wow that's not good, hopefully Falcon will lift off on time.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wow that's not good, hopefully Falcon will lift off on time.

Looks like no. Falcon 9 launch is delayed, new launch date is unknown for now.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Looks like no. Falcon 9 launch is delayed, new launch date is unknown for now.

Nuts.

#183 5 years ago

Yep scrubbed, I am actually glad since I had a conflicting appointment and wouldn’t be able to watch live.

#184 5 years ago

Approved on the range – now targeting January 11 launch of Iridium-8 from Vandenberg Air Force Base. Weather is 60% favorable for the instantaneous launch opportunity at 7:31 a.m. PST, 15:31 UTC.

#186 5 years ago

We're socked in with a low gray cover so doubt if we will be able to see anything in Socal.

#187 5 years ago

Yeah foggy here too right now

#190 5 years ago

The sky cleared enough to see it but wasn’t that impressive just a little smoke, couldn’t see the flames.

#191 5 years ago

Once again the booster landed safely. They seem to have solidified the processes at this point. The main thing they will probably want to significantly improve on is the items that are causing the delays.

#192 5 years ago

Damn that's exciting to watch, so proud to be an American.

#193 5 years ago

Thank you for all the updates.
    This is stuff I dreamed about as a kid.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Damn that's exciting to watch, so proud to be an American.

So true, very impressive shit for the 21st century.

#194 5 years ago

JAN 19th 11:05am

Delta IV
    Heavy SLC-6 Vehicle will launch the NROL-71 payload for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office

United Launch Alliance has targeted Saturday for the launch of a Delta IV Heavy from Vandenberg Air Force Base.

The rocket was first set to launch in December but issues during more than one attempt forced ULA to postpone the launch indefinitely.

The Jan. 19 date was announced Tuesday.

When the rocket takes off it will deliver a satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office into orbit.

Saturday’s launch is set for 11:05 a.m. from SLC-6.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

JAN 19th 11:05am
    Delta IV
    Heavy SLC-6 Vehicle will launch the NROL-71 payload for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office
    United Launch Alliance has targeted Saturday for the launch of a Delta IV Heavy from Vandenberg Air Force Base.
    The rocket was first set to launch in December but issues during more than one attempt forced ULA to postpone the launch indefinitely.
    The Jan. 19 date was announced Tuesday.
    When the rocket takes off it will deliver a satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office into orbit.
    Saturday’s launch is set for 11:05 a.m. from SLC-6.

Thanks. You got a link to the site?

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks. You got a link to the site?

I don’t currently. I usually just search on google live coverage before launch.

#197 5 years ago

Go straight to the source here. They usually go live with a pregame show about an hour before launch. There will also be links to the twitter and YouTube live feeds. I’ll probably miss this one as I have to work indoors Saturday. Although, I’m not sure what a daytime launch will look like in the sky from a few hundred miles away.

https://www.ulalaunch.com/missions/delta-iv-nrol-71

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Go straight to the source here. They usually go live with a pregame show about an hour before launch. There will also be links to the twitter and YouTube live feeds. I’ll probably miss this one as I have to work indoors Saturday. Although, I’m not sure what a daytime launch will look like in the sky from a few hundred miles away.
    https://www.ulalaunch.com/missions/delta-iv-nrol-71

Thanks for the link.

#199 5 years ago

T- 60 minutes bump

#200 5 years ago

Prep broadcast now live...

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-launch-tonight-at-527-vaf-base/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.