Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space X (resized).png
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpeg
    20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5840 (resized).jpeg
    B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    VenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpg
    james-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg
    Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20221027_182459 (resized).jpg
    20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    20221027_181714 (resized).jpg
    There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
    #701 1 year ago

Can't say I know much about the Atlas.

Artemis got moved to the 16th due to the storm.

#702 1 year ago

Artemis launch day (well, really Wed at 1:04 AM, close enough)!!

#703 1 year ago

Launch was fun to watch, but....
    What's up with no on-board camera's.
    Nasa. Call Elon and figure the camera on rocket thing. Jeez. Billion bucks no camera's?

#704 1 year ago

It really lit up the sky here and was loud as hell for a long time. Definitely a beast. As for cameras, there are actually 24 cameras on board. There is only so much bandwidth for transmitting to the ground during ascent, so the offloading the critical data from sensors around the vehicle in real time takes priority in case there is an accident or something. A vehicle this big on its first flight there have to be thousands of sensors everywhere. The initial camera views if any might be low resolution and will be downloaded later at full 4K or whatever resolution. I am sure there will be incredible videos to follow. Sure it would have been nice to have one or two live HD cameras I agree, but the whole broadcast was a little lacking if you ask me. I would trade a video camera for much simpler things like some cool telemetry showing speeds and maybe an announcer who was a little more informative during the countdown.

#705 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

It really lit up the sky here and was loud as hell for a long time. Definitely a beast. As for cameras, there are actually 24 cameras on board. There is only so much bandwidth for transmitting to the ground during ascent, so the offloading the critical data from sensors around the vehicle in real time takes priority in case there is an accident or something. A vehicle this big on its first flight there have to be thousands of sensors everywhere. The initial camera views if any might be low resolution and will be downloaded later at full 4K or whatever resolution. I am sure there will be incredible videos to follow. Sure it would have been nice to have one or two live HD cameras I agree, but the whole broadcast was a little lacking if you ask me. I would trade a video camera for much simpler things like some cool telemetry showing speeds and maybe an announcer who was a little more informative during the countdown.

How far away were you? I sort of recall that you work at the cape (so were you 'on site'?).

Boy, it definitely looked impressive on TV, can't imagine being there. I did see the shuttle take off once tho.

#707 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

How far away were you?

I was in my front yard. Probably about 15 miles as the crow flies. Still close enough to be able to read by the light and feel the rumble. This is significantly bigger than the SpaceX rockets and the solid motors burn more brightly. If it was a daytime launch, I probably would have driven on base to see it up close. I saw the SpaceX heavy launch recently from up close and was REALLY close to the dual stage landing for that mission.

#708 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I was in my front yard. Probably about 15 miles as the crow flies. Still close enough to be able to read by the light and feel the rumble. This is significantly bigger than the SpaceX rockets and the solid motors burn more brightly. If it was a daytime launch, I probably would have driven on base to see it up close. I saw the SpaceX heavy launch recently from up close and was REALLY close to the dual stage landing for that mission.

Lucky you, so cool! I'm jealous.

#709 1 year ago

SpaceX is targeting Friday, November 18 for a Falcon 9 launch of 52 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base.

The instantaneous launch window is at 8:25 p.m. PT.

A live webcast of this mission will begin about five minutes prior to liftoff.

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Crew-1, Crew-2, SXM-8, CRS-23, IXPE, Transporter-4, Transporter-5, Globalstar FM15, and two Starlink missions.

Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage will return to Earth and land on the Of Course I Still Love You drone ship stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

A backup opportunity is available on Saturday, November 19 at 8:11 p.m. PT.

#710 1 year ago

UPDATE - Friday's scheduled launch of a Falcon 9 rocket at Vandenberg Space Force Base has been canceled.

SpaceX said it needed to take a closer look at data from the rocket's static fire test.

A new launch date has not yet been announced.

#711 1 year ago
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpgIMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    #712 1 year ago

While we wait for the next big event...

"Goodnight Oppy" (Opportunity and Spirit rovers) documentary released yesterday on Prime.

Good so far, I can see some liberties taken for the 'non-space geeks', but still very enjoyable.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Oppy-Ryan-White/dp/B0B8JR3XT8/ref=sr_1_1

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #713 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

While we wait for the next big event...
    "Goodnight Oppy" (Opportunity and Spirit rovers) documentary released yesterday on Prime.
    Good so far, I can see some liberties taken for the 'non-space geeks', but still very enjoyable.
    amazon.com link »[quoted image]

Wow just saw this I’ve been busy and haven’t been on Pinside in awhile…I look forward to watching this!

#714 1 year ago

DEC 15 03:46:40 Falcon 9 SLC-4E Vehicle will launch the SWOT scientific satellite into orbit

That’s next scheduled but there is some more December launches also with date and times to be scheduled still.

#715 1 year ago

While not a launch, I thought people following this thread might appreciate this, taken last night just before the Moon occulted Mars; Mars is at about the 7 o'clock position along the Moon's rim.

Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpegMoon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg

#716 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

While not a launch, I thought people following this thread might appreciate this, taken last night just before the Moon occulted Mars; Mars is at about the 7 o'clock position along the Moon's rim.
    [quoted image]

Very nice, did you take that photo?

#717 1 year ago

The Everyday Astronaut was selected as one of the crew members for a SpaceX Launch around the moon. Very cool!!!

https://dearmoon.earth/

#718 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Very nice, did you take that photo?

Yes, I took it here in SoCal at 6:30. I've since looked online to see what's been posted. The Griffith Observatory about 30 miles east of me has a 1:47:23 video of it from several minutes before to well after. I got video of it just after it emerged, too. I did fine one excellent_ image posted online; somebody's got equipment about 2 decimal places better than mine. Thanks to them for posting it. I take occasional solar photos, too, took some of the sunspots today.

med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpgmed_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg

#719 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Yes, I took it here in SoCal at 6:30. I've since looked online to see what's been posted. The Griffith Observatory about 30 miles east of me has a 1:47:23 video of it from several minutes before to well after. I got video of it just after it emerged, too. I did fine one excellent_ image posted online; somebody's got equipment about 2 decimal places better than mine. Thanks to them for posting it.
    [quoted image]

Very impressive! There was director at work (maybe 17 years ago), that did some serious time elapse telescope photography. Then some post-processing that was just insane. If I recall correctly, they were even published somewhere. When he got into a hobby, it was 'all in' (in a good way).

#720 1 year ago

Pinballlew Were you aware that parts of the Opportunity and Spirit rovers were made in San Luis Obispo, by Next Intent?

#721 1 year ago

Orion landing about to happen. NASA channel or look on youtube...

#722 1 year ago

Artemis splashdown covered live here:

Or here:

#723 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mthomasslo:

Pinballlew Were you aware that parts of the Opportunity and Spirit rovers were made in San Luis Obispo, by Next Intent?

Wow, no I didn’t realize that. Very cool thanks for the heads up.

#724 1 year ago

Can't remember where I found the page, but NASA had a webpage for the JWST that showed anybody and everybody that made parts, systems, or assemblies for it and where they were on a map. It showed quite a number of companies from California of course, but the breadth and scope of companies across the country that had a hand in making stuff for the JWST was quite impressive. I want to say it was like over 10k people were directly involved with either making the parts for it, or making things that NASA used to make the whole thing work.

Ok, found something similar. This isn't the exact map I remember seeing, but it's got the same effect. Amazing stuff.

james-webb-contributor-map (resized).pngjames-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    #725 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Can't remember where I found the page, but NASA had a webpage for the JWST that showed anybody and everybody that made parts, systems, or assemblies for it and where they were on a map. It showed quite a number of companies from California of course, but the breadth and scope of companies across the country that had a hand in making stuff for the JWST was quite impressive. I want to say it was like over 10k people were directly involved with either making the parts for it, or making things that NASA used to make the whole thing work.
    Ok, found something similar. This isn't the exact map I remember seeing, but it's got the same effect. Amazing stuff.
    [quoted image]

One of the companies I worked for also designed some space stuff (I was on the military side, but the space division was at the same site). I helped the space group one time by doing some simulations. The hoops you have jump thru to get parts for testing, the amount of documentation, etc. is just numbing at times. Definitely a different design environment.

1 week later
    #726 1 year ago

Well launching rockets is not easy. This video gets really uncomfortable as they are showering praise on how great this rocket design is as the trajectory is clearly heading to the ocean instead of space.

https://www.space.com/arianespace-vega-c-launch-failure-december-2022

#727 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Well launching rockets is not easy. This video gets really uncomfortable as they are showering praise on how great this rocket design is as the trajectory is clearly heading to the ocean instead of space.
    https://www.space.com/arianespace-vega-c-launch-failure-december-2022

Big bummer for the team. At least they let it fly for a long time rather than terminating. Hopefully they got some good data to determine the root cause.

#728 1 year ago

I think once it tips over past horizontal, it's got an auto-destruct feature that kicks in, no? I've seen it happen on multiple launch failures, figured it was an automatic thing since they don't want their scientific rocket to become a huge missile that potentially kills hundreds of people if launched over land masses and not necessarily over the ocean. I could see it being something remote controlled, too, but I think a fail-safe method for self destruction that is automatic upon wayward rocket situations(especially since they're only meant to go up, from launch) is much safer than leaving that decision up to a human and a long distance, satellite-based connection to an object that is hundreds of miles away that might now be a rogue agent in more ways than launch control can know.

#729 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I think once it tips over past horizontal, it's got an auto-destruct feature that kicks in, no? I've seen it happen on multiple launch failures, figured it was an automatic thing since they don't want their scientific rocket to become a huge missile that potentially kills hundreds of people if launched over land masses and not necessarily over the ocean. I could see it being something remote controlled, too, but I think a fail-safe method for self destruction that is automatic upon wayward rocket situations(especially since they're only meant to go up, from launch) is much safer than leaving that decision up to a human and a long distance, satellite-based connection to an object that is hundreds of miles away that might now be a rogue agent in more ways than launch control can know.

I thought it was automated too. Usually the graphic is based on sensor readings, so I was surprised it flew as long as it did.

2 weeks later
    #730 1 year ago

Just watched the Falcon 9 take off and landing from my front yard. I should have had my camera ready for this one. Nice clear night and the re-entry burn passed right by the moon! The landing burn was also clearly visible through the trees.

2 weeks later
    #731 1 year ago

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=sl2-6

SpaceX is postponing a Falcon 9 rocket launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base.

The launch was originally scheduled for 8:47 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 29. According to a Twitter post from SpaceX, the launch is now planned for Monday, January 30 at 8:34 a.m. PT, due to the completion of pre-launch checkouts.

The rocket will deliver 49 Starlink satellites into low-Earth orbit, along with D-Orbit’s ION Satellite Carrier "SCV009 Eclectic Elena."

About eight minutes after liftoff, SpaceX will aim to land the rocket's first stage booster on the Of Course I Still Love You drone ship stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

The booster being used in this mission has been used in six other missions.

A live webcast of the launch is scheduled to begin about five minutes before liftoff.

If needed, there is an additional launch opportunity on the same day at 12:31 p.m. PT.

#732 1 year ago

Looks like it's been changed to the later window (12:31 PM PST)

#733 1 year ago

The launch has once again been postponed until 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday.

SpaceX says the delay will allow for additional time for pre-launch checkouts.

In a tweet, the company said, "weather is looking good for liftoff."

1 week later
    #734 1 year ago

An unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile is scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base between Thursday night and Friday morning.

The launch is scheduled to take place between 11:01 p.m. on February 9 and 5:01 a.m. on February 10.

According to Air Force officials, the launch is a routine test that was scheduled years in advance. The purpose of the test is to demonstrate the readiness of U.S. nuclear forces and "validate and verify the effectiveness, readiness and accuracy of the weapon system.

#735 1 year ago

SpaceX is planning a Falcon 9 rocket launch of 51 Starlink satellites at Vandenberg Space Force Base.

This will be SpaceX's third launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base this year.

The launch is scheduled for Friday at 11:12 a.m.

Starlink is SpaceX's high-speed broadband satellite internet service designed to reach rural and remote communities.

Following stage separation, SpaceX plans to land the rocket's first stage booster on the "Of Course I Still Love You" drone ship stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

The same booster was previously used to launch Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich, DART, and six Starlink missions.

If for some reason the launch is delayed, the base plans to try the launch on Saturday, at 10:58 a.m.

#736 1 year ago

I had the opportunity last night to view 55 Starlink satellites pass over my home. I live near Manchester, NH. I’m hoping to view again tonight. It’s quite the spectacle.

#737 1 year ago

The bad news is, it mucks up viewing for astronomers, both pros and amateurs alike. (All the astro magazines have plenty of examples of satellites messing up science images.) Too many internet streaks in orbit. I like watching the launches and seeing the occasional satellite go over, but it sucks that the results are now so numerous and too reflective. Really need smaller darker sats if we have to have so many.

1 week later
    #738 1 year ago

Next batch of Starlinks from Vandenberg is scheduled for 10:52 PST tomorrow morning, weather forecast is good. Meanwhile, I took these tonight of the Venus - Jupiter conjunction. Three Galilean moons are also visible above Juppiter, plus a background star (note the slight motion in the second photo relative to the uppermost moon) and an airplane passing by, right in front of Venus in the first image.

VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpgVenusJupiter1 (resized).jpgVenusJupiter2 (resized).jpgVenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    #739 1 year ago

SpaceX is now targeting Thursday afternoon for its latest launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base.

A Falcon 9 rocket was originally planned to liftoff from the base on Monday but has been pushed multiple times to other days or times.

The Starlink mission is now scheduled to lift off at 2:50 p.m. Thursday from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E).

The launch will deploy 51 Starlink satellites and be SpaceX's fourth launch from Vandenberg this year.

Starlink is SpaceX's high-speed broadband satellite internet service designed to reach rural and remote communities.

Following stage separation, SpaceX plans to land the rocket's first stage booster on the "Of Course I Still Love You" drone ship stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

#740 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

SpaceX is now targeting Thursday afternoon for its latest launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base.
    A Falcon 9 rocket was originally planned to liftoff from the base on Monday but has been pushed multiple times to other days or times.
    The Starlink mission is now scheduled to lift off at 2:50 p.m. Thursday from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E).
    The launch will deploy 51 Starlink satellites and be SpaceX's fourth launch from Vandenberg this year.

Now 10:38 am Friday

#741 1 year ago

Let's hope Nth time is the charm.

I took another set of conjunction images tonight and got pseudo-photobombed: while I was aligning my camera, a satellite crossed the field of view diagonally between the planets. Too bad I wasn't recording video at the time.

#742 1 year ago

Anyone know best place to watch launch at VAFB? I've done the Google search but was wondering if there's any other places?

#743 1 year ago

Vandenberg: That was a first - no fog!!

#744 1 year ago

Unfortunately pic is blurred as all heck but

B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpegB6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #746 1 year ago

A SpaceX rocket launch is scheduled to take place this Friday at Vandenberg Space Force Base.

The Falcon 9 rocket is set to take off at 12:21 p.m.

It will be carrying 52 Starlink satellites into low-Earth orbit. Starlink is SpaceX's high-speed broadband satellite internet service designed to reach rural and remote communities.

If the launch is scrubbed for any reason, there are backup launch opportunities at 4:19 p.m. Friday, 12:07 p.m. Saturday, and 4:05 p.m. Saturday.

Following stage separation, about eight minutes after liftoff, SpaceX plans to land the rocket's first stage booster on the Of Course I Still Love You droneship stationed in the Pacific Ocean. The booster being used in this launch was used for seven previous missions.

1 week later
    #747 1 year ago

Another Space-X Falcon 9 rocket is scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base Thursday morning. This launch will be a mission for the Space Development Agency (SDA).

On Wednesday, SDA officials hosted a briefing to discuss their upcoming series of launches to support the SDA's Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture. They say the satellites they're launching will be used to track international ballistic missiles and quickly relay the observations down to ground military systems here on Earth.

A total of 10 satellites will be included in Thursday's launch, with additional launches expected to take place over the next several years.

"The idea is, these satellites will be able to provide them with tactical, meaning real-time, communications so they can use that to target directly into their weapons platforms," said Derek Tournear, Space Development Agency Director. "Historically, they have only been able to do that over short ranges, but the Space Development Agency’s architecture will enable that to work globally."

Thursday's launch is scheduled to take place at 7:29 a.m.

Following stage separation, about eight minutes after liftoff, SpaceX will aim to land the rocket's first stage booster on land at Vandenberg Space Force Base. SpaceX officials say this could result in a sonic boom audible to people in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Ventura counties.

A live webcast of the launch is scheduled to begin about 15 minutes prior to liftoff.

The next SDA satellite launch will take place in June.

#748 1 year ago

Well they aborted at T-03 seconds on standby. To cloudy to see at my house anyways.

Update cancelled next earliest attempt is tomorrow 7 am

#749 1 year ago

SpaceX scrubbed a Falcon 9 rocket launch once again that was scheduled to launch at 7:29 a.m. on Friday from Vandenberg Space Force Base.

It is now scheduled for Saturday, April 1. A time has not been announced yet.

SpaceX officials say the launch was postponed to allow more time for vehicle preparations.

1 week later
    #750 1 year ago

A Falcon 9 rocket launch of the Transporter-7 mission is set to take place at the Vandenberg Space Force Base Tuesday night, Space X announced.

The liftoff is scheduled for 11:47 Thursday p.m.

Transporter-7 is SpaceX's seventh "dedicated smallsat rideshare mission". Officials said there will be 51 payloads on this flight, including CubeSats, MicroSats, hosted payloads, and orbital transfer vehicles that carry spacecraft to be deployed at a later time.

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-launch-tonight-at-527-vaf-base/page/15?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.