Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space X (resized).png
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpeg
    20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5840 (resized).jpeg
    B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    VenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpg
    james-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg
    Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20221027_182459 (resized).jpg
    20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    20221027_181714 (resized).jpg

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
    #651 1 year ago

Vandenberg Friday launch was delayed to 10:30 pm Tuesday.

#652 1 year ago

On a hold I guess not sure of reason…just woke up

#653 1 year ago

Ahh have a issue with one of the engines not chilling down. Still possible for launch today if they come up with a solution.

My opinion is they will scrub

#654 1 year ago

Weather just announced is also not a go currently. Chances getting slimmer for today.

#655 1 year ago

Here’s another video source

#656 1 year ago

Scrubbed

#657 1 year ago

Darn, but no surprise. Friday is the next chance.

#658 1 year ago

NASA has scrubbed the launch of Artemis I Monday morning, the first of several missions that will include mankind's return to the moon.

After saying that officials were troubleshooting a hydrogen leak, NASA said that there was also a problem discovered in the rocket's third engine. Officials said that the engine was not showing the correct temperature once NASA did an engine bleed test.

"We don't launch until it's right," said NASA administrator Bill Nelson. "In fact, they have a problem with the gasses going on the engine bleed on one engine and you can't go."

The launch window was scheduled from around 8:30-10:30 a.m. Monday, but officials called it off just minutes after the window opened. The next possible launch date is Friday.

Artemis I is the first of several missions as part of the Artemis program, which NASA hopes will prepare humanity to go further than the moon.

The next Artemis mission isn't scheduled until 2024. While Artemis I will be unmanned, Artemis II will send four astronauts on a flyby of the moon. Artemis III is expected to include a crewed mission to the moon's surface.

#659 1 year ago

Duplicate

#660 1 year ago

https://www.spacex.com/launches/sl3-4/
    Tonight at 10:40

SpaceX is planning another launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base Tuesday night.

The Falcon 9 launch of 46 Starlink satellites is set for 10:40 p.m. from Space Launch Complex 4 East.

If the launch does not go Tuesday night, SpaceX will try again at the same time Wednesday night.

“The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich, DART, and four Starlink missions,” SpaceX announced.

Once the stage separation takes place, the Falcon 9’s first stage will land on the Of Course I Still Love You droneship, which is stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

The return of the first stage to earth is not expected to cause sonic booms on the Central Coast.

A live stream of the launch will be available five minutes before liftoff.

#662 1 year ago

Pretty cool launch so far

#663 1 year ago

NASA is ready to try again to launch Artemis I toward the moon on Saturday.

Engine issues prevented the rocket from lifting off on Monday. After saying that officials were troubleshooting a hydrogen leak, NASA said that there was also a problem discovered in the rocket's third engine. Officials said that the engine was not showing the correct temperature once NASA did an engine bleed test.

After making repairs, officials said the spacecraft is ready for liftoff on Saturday

"Our team is ready,” said Jeremy Parson, deputy manager for NASA Exploration Ground Systems. “They are getting better with every attempt and actually performed superbly during launch countdown number one. So in my mind, I think if the conditions with weather and the hardware align, we will absolutely go and we have the right team at kind of the right time."

Artemis I is part of a program that will send humans back to the moon.

The unmanned mission will fly by the moon before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean in October.

#664 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

NASA is ready to try again to launch Artemis I toward the moon on Saturday.
    Engine issues prevented the rocket from lifting off on Monday. After saying that officials were troubleshooting a hydrogen leak, NASA said that there was also a problem discovered in the rocket's third engine. Officials said that the engine was not showing the correct temperature once NASA did an engine bleed test.
    After making repairs, officials said the spacecraft is ready for liftoff on Saturday
    "Our team is ready,” said Jeremy Parson, deputy manager for NASA Exploration Ground Systems. “They are getting better with every attempt and actually performed superbly during launch countdown number one. So in my mind, I think if the conditions with weather and the hardware align, we will absolutely go and we have the right team at kind of the right time."
    Artemis I is part of a program that will send humans back to the moon.
    The unmanned mission will fly by the moon before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean in October.

Fingers crossed (again)...

1 week later
    #665 1 year ago

An aerospace company attempted its second launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base today after its first rocket exploded shortly after takeoff last year.

Firefly’s second launch attempt was scrubbed after two launch attempts during the four-hour launch window.

Locals and visitors line up on Ocean Street in hopes of witnessing a rocket launch into space.

“My friend here Darren told me about it and we thought we’d come out and try to see if launch. We hear them rattle the windows all the time, so we wanted to see it up close," said Lompoc resident Jacob Glasson.

“We’re really really excited yeah, this is my first rocket launch ever," said UCSB student, Leanne Hagen.

Setting up tents and some even bringing binoculars to see the launch up close and personal.

Some spectators traveled five hours in hopes of witnessing it.

“We took off from Orange County at seven in the morning. Mainly for the kids, we wanted them to have a nice experience. Yeah learn something new and maybe open up their mind to something else in the future," said Robert Mora from Orange County.

For others, it was just luck.

“We came here for estate sale actually this morning and then we were driving to the beach and saw everyone parked alongside the street and found out that it was a rocket launch," said Hagen.

Firefly was on track to launch at 3 p.m., but aborted it just moments before liftoff due to a “drop in stage two helium supply pressure.”

Around 4:55 p.m. a second delay in launch pushed the time to 5:50 p.m. and minutes later Vandenberg officials announced the launch had been scrubbed due to a drop in helium pressure.

Firefly’s next launch window is set to be on Monday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

#666 1 year ago

Blue Origin's (Bezo) New Shepard experienced a failure during ascent today. No crew onboard.

#667 1 year ago

UPDATE (2:11 p.m.) - Monday's launch, the second attempt in as many days at Vandenberg Space Force Base, was scrubbed due to "Violation of wind constraints," according to Firefly.

The company says Sept. 19 and 20 have been secured as the next possibly launch dates for its Alpha rocket.

#668 1 year ago

I find this interesting:

NASA is planning to crash its Double Asteroid Redirection Test spacecraft into an asteroid on September 26.

It is part of a test to see if scientists can alter the path of Didymos. The small asteroid is a half-mile wide and has an elliptical orbit around the solar system.

Scientists want to know if a spacecraft can deflect an asteroid for planetary defense. The asteroid poses no threat to Earth.

NASA was recently able to fine-tune the spacecraft's path after scientists were able to take images of the asteroid.

“This first set of images is being used as a test to prove our imaging techniques,” said Elena Adams, the DART mission systems engineer at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, Maryland. “The quality of the image is similar to what we could obtain from ground-based telescopes, but it is important to show that DRACO is working properly and can see its target to make any adjustments needed before we begin using the images to guide the spacecraft into the asteroid autonomously.”

The asteroid’s surface is believed to be extremely rough and full of boulders. It does not have a known atmosphere.

In 2003, the asteroid came within about 5 million miles of Earth. By comparison, the moon is nearly 250,000 miles from our planet.

4D7F242C-0588-4DD3-9B9A-5AAE9F7643B2 (resized).jpeg4D7F242C-0588-4DD3-9B9A-5AAE9F7643B2 (resized).jpeg
    #669 1 year ago

Firefly Aerospace is delaying its next rocket launch attempt from Vandenberg Space Force Base because of the weather.

The company scrubbed its two previous launch attempts earlier this week.

On Sunday, Sept. 11, the launch was scrubbed because of a drop in the rocket's helium pressure. On Monday, Sept. 12, it was scrubbed due to wind.

Firefly was aiming for another attempt with a launch window starting at 12 a.m. on September 19; however, a rain storm is forecasted to move into the area starting Sunday night into Monday morning.

The company says its next launch window will be no sooner than September 29.

Firefly will be launching its Alpha rocket for only the second time.

Last September, the company launched an Alpha rocket from Vandenberg Space Force Base, but it exploded shortly after takeoff.

Firefly reported that the rocket had experienced an anomaly during the first stage ascent.

No one was hurt but the explosion scattered debris over the area with some rocket pieces being found as far away as Orcutt.

#670 1 year ago

Anticipation is growing for a rocket launch scheduled this weekend at Vandenberg Space Force Base.

The final launch of the Delta IV heavy rocket on the west coast is set to take place this Saturday.

The United States Space Force says that this is the end of an era, but the beginning of a bright future for Vandenberg.

One of the largest heavy lift rockets in the world is set to blast off into space from Vandenberg one final time this weekend.

“So, for us, seeing the last Delta launch from Vandenberg is bittersweet for sure, we’re sorry to see it go,” said Colonel Bryan Titus, Vice Commander of Space Launch Delta 30.

The delta rocket carries payloads into space for the National Reconnaissance Office which carries out top secret surveillance for national security.

“We like to say that we’re the nation’s eyes and ears in space,” said Colonel Chad Davis with the NRO’s Office of Space Launch.

Different versions of the delta rocket have been taking off from Vandenberg since 1959.

“Every launch has its thing I found. It is never easy, some of these rockets fight us til the very end,” said Colonel Davis. “It’s like they like sitting on this planet and I’m like ‘what you’re carrying hates it in gravity, we need to get it off of this planet.’”

The era of the delta rocket is coming to an end as lightweight, reusable rockets take priority.

The Delta 4 launch pad will go quiet-- at least temporarily after Saturday’s launch, but there will still be plenty of action at Vandenberg.

“From a resource perspective, there’s not a planned reduction in the workforce out here in California,” said Gary Wentz, Vice President of Government and Commercial Programs.

All eyes, meanwhile, are on Vandenberg as final preparations are underway for this final launch.

“You got to get 10 million parts working on concert simultaneously, perfectly, and then you can launch and so it’s really, really, really hard and it is no kidding rocket science,” said Colonel Davis.

“Luckily, there’s a lot of smart people I can work with on that because that’s not me.”

If you want to see the launch for yourself, the launch window opens at 1:50 p.m. on Saturday.

After Saturday, the era of the delta rocket won’t be over quite yet.

There are still two launches planned from Cape Canaveral in Florida.

ULA is also working to develop the Vulcan rocket with plans to eventually launch from Vandenberg.

#671 1 year ago

1. Re Vandenberg: Word from my local expert is that the Delta 4 launch will be a limited-distance-visibility event due to the semi-transparent orange exhaust and daytime liftoff. When it hits 6-7 miles up and goes through that atmospheric layer, a good but short contrail should be visible far away, but otherwise don't expect to see it from the usual 100 miles off, more like 25.

2. Re Artemis, that likely hurricane now forming in the eastern Caribbean may force them to roll it back inside in the next few days as a precaution. That would impact the launch date; how much tbd.

#672 1 year ago

Is it bad I hope the Delta gets delayed, so it gets a night launch ??
    Its spectacular in the early evening.

#673 1 year ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Is it bad I hope the Delta gets delayed, so it gets a night launch ??
    Its spectacular in the early evening.

I would prefer to see it at night as well

#674 1 year ago

I had the timing off I guess I’m not sure of launch window 2 or 3 hours from now? this is video coverage though.

#676 1 year ago

T-MINUS 9 MINUTES TO LAUNCH!!

Let's Go !!
    Light that Candle !!

#677 1 year ago

T-MINUS 4 MINUTES. we are go !

#678 1 year ago

Saw it clearly from my front yard

#679 1 year ago

Outstanding, I'm jealous.
    Where you Close enough to hear it ?

#680 1 year ago

Took off half hour later than original schedule, watched their online feed. Only view of contrail from this distance, was looking into the sun from my angle. Glad you got to see it!

#681 1 year ago

No, I'm about 70 miles north east of VSFB. I have heard them faintly from Santa Maria (about 25 miles) Areas around Lompoc are best for the full experience.

#682 1 year ago

This is worth watching 1 hour to impact

#683 1 year ago

Liked the in-your-face view of the asteroid as it impacted - - eager to hear how the dynamics went.

#684 1 year ago

Definitely whacked it dead center. Super clear video.

#685 1 year ago

From a friend of mine of the last launch. She was there.

57230FD4-9EE2-4D53-8078-4B65FFCB24E3 (resized).png57230FD4-9EE2-4D53-8078-4B65FFCB24E3 (resized).png
    #686 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

This is worth watching 1 hour to impact

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #687 1 year ago

Space X today, Crew-5 Mission

A little over 1 hour from now.

#688 1 year ago

Tonight's SpaceX launch from my front yard at sunset.

20221008_190743 (resized).jpg20221008_190743 (resized).jpg20221008_190838 (resized).jpg20221008_190838 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #689 1 year ago

Tonight's Vandenberg SpaceX Falcon 9 launch was nicely visible, got a good plume in upper atmosphere, even heard the sonic boom 100 miles away several minutes later.

Atlas V launch up next on November 1st. I'll see how the photos / video turned out, upload anything worthwhile.

#690 1 year ago

I could see capsule the longest ever. About 5 min. Full 150 deg left towards south from these pics. Could even see booster come back in.
    A first. Great show.

20221027_181714 (resized).jpg20221027_181714 (resized).jpg20221027_182459 (resized).jpg20221027_182459 (resized).jpg20221027_183236 (resized).jpg20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    #691 1 year ago

That's so cool to see from your home or nearby. There are no launches near me but the SpaceX test stand has been modified so testing no longer shakes the windows and rumbles in your gut if you stand outdoors.

#692 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I could see capsule the longest ever. About 5 min. Full 150 deg left towards south from these pics. Could even see booster come back in.
    A first. Great show.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What's the 2nd picture showing?

#693 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

What's the 2nd picture showing?

That was just exhaust plume cloud with the sun setting. Pic 2 and 3.

#694 1 year ago

That was just exhaust plume cloud with the sun setting. Pic 2 and 3.

So what's this?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #695 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So what's this?[quoted image]

Funny! Police Helicopter flying into shot.

#696 1 year ago

Funny! Police Helicopter flying into shot.

LOL, that thought crossed my mind. I figured it wasn't a booster returning, you mentioned you were a ways away (unless you have an alternate landing zone in your backyard!).

Thanks for clarifying.

1 week later
    #697 1 year ago

Cool pictures, sorry I have been super busy and forgetting to update the next launches I will try and get back to being more consistent.

#698 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Cool pictures, sorry I have been super busy and forgetting to update the next launches I will try and get back to being more consistent.

Did you get to see the Atlas 5 launch out your way?

#699 1 year ago

Missed it; it was scheduled for 1:25 a.m., but didn't launch until 1:49. Kind of late and cold to stay outside waiting, didn't do so. It went fine, kept their 100% success rate intact to the very end.

#700 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Did you get to see the Atlas 5 launch out your way?

I unfortunately missed it…wish I didn’t for sure must have been a awesome flight to see!

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-launch-tonight-at-527-vaf-base/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.