Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 538 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by HighVoltage
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    24C1F5E1-2AE2-4863-92B2-A859D90F475C (resized).jpeg
    2F8FEE55-352B-4F93-8F8D-D88EC7E0EE2F (resized).jpeg
    9857944E-4CD0-4BCD-972E-6364F8EFE131 (resized).jpeg
    20210327_190115.jpg
    20210327_195051.jpg
    F194E722-1A97-4F05-B75E-DD310C21C7C9 (resized).jpeg
    EusFPkoVoAAMu_n (resized).jpg
    D54E5221-EAF8-4793-98C1-8534954915D9 (resized).jpeg
    B4CD3FFE-A611-4487-8B4A-FC303333295F (resized).jpeg

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
    #501 45 days ago

Today’s failed flight highlight clip....I missed this as I had to go to Lowe’s and replace our Washing Machine. Sorry didn’t post live link, was distracted.

#502 44 days ago

Elon has another rocket crash and burn. That's 4 of them in South Texas I think. I know he has money to burn but damn one would think more research might be needed.

#503 44 days ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

Elon has another rocket crash and burn. That's 4 of them in South Texas I think. I know he has money to burn but damn one would think more research might be needed.

Nah, these are prototypes - each one of these are a (expensive) learning experience. Just an iterative design cycle. I think the Falcons took 4 times to get the the initial landing somewhat right (not sure about that number) and StarShip is basically a 15 story building - a lot bigger. Granted, it would be nice to see better Raptor engine reliability. That seems to be the weak link right now, especially on the restart.

SN15 (the next one up) has a ton of improvements. They do have an incredibly long road ahead tho. Not a fan of not have an escape system tho, always good to have a "plan B' for human flight. Cargo, not so much.

I tune in to NasaSpaceFlight's Youtube channel everyday, and SpaceX's site at Boca Chica is just a bee hive of activity 24/7. Even if StarShip never pans out, it sure is fun to watch.

A flyover picture, looks like the SN11 nose cone.

#504 42 days ago

That Delta IV Heavy NROL-82 launch at Vandenberg is now tentatively set for April 26, time still unannounced. Launch complex SLC-6, at the extreme southwest corner of the base. Too far south for ideal viewing from the Lompoc fields; try getting a bit of elevation if viewing from near town. They launch to the south; better viewing from east of the point down the coast, though access may be limited.

#505 41 days ago

It is actually scheduled for the 25th at 5 PDT.

https://www.spacelaunchschedule.com/launch/delta-iv-heavy-nrol-82/

#506 41 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

That Delta IV Heavy NROL-82 launch at Vandenberg is now tentatively set for April 26, time still unannounced. Launch complex SLC-6, at the extreme southwest corner of the base. Too far south for ideal viewing from the Lompoc fields; try getting a bit of elevation if viewing from near town. They launch to the south; better viewing from east of the point down the coast, though access may be limited.

'Bout time you guys got a launch out your way. Boca Chica has been getting everyone's attention recently.

#507 41 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

They launch to the south; better viewing from east of the point down the coast, though access may be limited.

Jolama Beach would be a good spot!

#508 41 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Jolama Beach would be a good spot!

Unfortunately, I've discovered that Vandenberg closes Jalama Beach and forces all visitors and campers out during launches. The beach park person said Vandenberg closes the road to Jamala Beach all the back at CA Hwy 1, so the hills near there are inaccessible, too. The road southward towards the coast from Lompoc, San Miguelito (?) gets closed off, too. The next nearest coastal point eastward is all the way to Gaviota, about 25 miles line-of-sight from the pad. Lompoc is closer, but the rocket will be going away from there, vs. going sort of perpendicular to your line of sight from Gaviota.

#509 41 days ago

Zodiac visited Gaviota state beach, creepy.

1 week later
    #510 30 days ago

New Shepard launch today. Live streaming now:

#511 27 days ago

Vandenberg Delta IV Heavy launch window has been released: Monday, April 26, between 12:39 and 15:57 (afternoon launch).

#512 27 days ago

Great thread .We have had Zero luck with a launch window on our trips to Florida .Still always a great day at the Center.

24C1F5E1-2AE2-4863-92B2-A859D90F475C (resized).jpeg2F8FEE55-352B-4F93-8F8D-D88EC7E0EE2F (resized).jpeg9857944E-4CD0-4BCD-972E-6364F8EFE131 (resized).jpeg
    #513 27 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Vandenberg Delta IV Heavy launch window has been released: Monday, April 26, between 12:39 and 15:57 (afternoon launch).

Any chance it will be streamed (being DOD)? Always enjoy a Delta Heavy launch.

Looks like StarShip SN15 is up around the 20th for a launch if all goes well, maybe a static engine fire Monday. All Raptors are installed as of a couple of days ago.

Will be a couple of interesting weeks ahead!

#514 27 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Great thread .We have had Zero luck with a launch window on our trips to Florida .Still always a great day at the Center.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great photos kkoss24. Reminds me of when I took the kids down to watch a shuttle launch. 1st time went on schedule. 2nd time we got better tickets from our congressmen, but unfortunately it was postponed for about a week.

Eventually figured out it was better to schedule a launch watch at the beginning of a vacation, given the delays.

Around the 1st of this year, my son got to watch a Falcon launch at night with his family. I'm jealous!

#515 26 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Any chance it will be streamed (being DOD)? Always enjoy a Delta Heavy launch.

I'm looking into both that and the road closure plans, will post here if I get a response.

There's also a Vandenberg launch now tentatively schedule for Friday the 30th. It's the first launch of Firefly Alpha, yet another player. If you'd care for some not-so-light reading, here's a link to their "Payload User's Guide", i.e. if you want to launch something into space with them, what you need to know about their equipment, what they can do with it, the conditions your payload will be subject to, etc.

https://firefly.com/wp-content/themes/firefly_aerospace/files/Alpha_PUG_2019-08-30_v2.pdf

#516 26 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

I'm looking into both that and the road closure plans, will post here if I get a response.
    There's also a Vandenberg launch now tentatively schedule for Friday the 30th. It's the first launch of Firefly Alpha, yet another player. If you'd care for some not-so-light reading, here's a link to their "Payload User's Guide", i.e. if you want to launch something into space with them, what you need to know about their equipment, what they can do with it, the conditions your payload will be subject to, etc.
    https://firefly.com/wp-content/themes/firefly_aerospace/files/Alpha_PUG_2019-08-30_v2.pdf

Wow, that's an interesting read. Looks like composite tanks.

#517 24 days ago

Vandenberg Air Force Base is scheduled for a rocket launch next week.

The base is scheduled to support the launch of a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket on Monday, April 26.

Base officials say the rocket is carrying a National Reconnaissance Office payload from Space Launch Complex-6.

The launch window opens at 12 p.m.

Col. Anthony Mastalir, 30th Space Wing commander, is the launch decision authority.

"Our tremendous partnership with United Launch Alliance and the National Reconnaissance Office is driven by our collective dedication to mission success," said Col. Anthony Mastalir, 30th Space Wing commander. "We are proud of our ability to provide assured access to space and look forward to showcasing this national capability for heavy lift on the Western Range in support of the NRO."

#518 23 days ago

Maybe a Starship SN15 static fire Wed?

#519 21 days ago

Delta IV Heavy launch time on Monday now set for 1:46 p.m. Forecast shows 60% chance of weather violation due to wind and or clouds leading to 24-hour (or more) delay.

Live launch updates and webcast available at: www.ulalaunch.com and http://www.youtube.com/unitedlaunchalliance
    "Bars + tone" at 12:55, program start 1:25.

#520 21 days ago

Here’s a watch for tonight if interested

#521 19 days ago

'The Everyday Astronaut' put out a really interesting video about StarShip's belly flop. Lot's of interesting stuff and he does a good job of keeping it simple.

#522 18 days ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Vandenberg Air Force Base is scheduled for a rocket launch next week.
    The base is scheduled to support the launch of a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket on Monday, April 26...

Watch it live here: https://www.youtube.com/c/EverydayAstronaut/featured

#523 17 days ago

Live now

#524 16 days ago

Another Starlink flight tonight (11:44 PM, EDT).

People are estimating Friday for Starship SN15 launch, maybe?

Dragon crew splashdown this weekend.

Then....another Starlink launch next week.

It's getting hard to keep track of all this stuff!

#525 15 days ago

I just saw this live launching now

#526 15 days ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I just saw this live launching now

They sure make it look easy.

#527 14 days ago

SLS is a HUGE rocket. It just arrived today at Kennedy Space Center. I can't wait to see this launch from up close. I will be there in the VAB parking lot.

#528 14 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

SLS is a HUGE rocket. It just arrived today at Kennedy Space Center. I can't wait to see this launch from up close. I will be there in the VAB parking lot.

Good for you! Pictures are mandatory!

How are you involved?

#529 14 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Good for you! Pictures are mandatory!
    How are you involved?

I work at the Space Center on an unrelated project. That frees me up to stand around and watch the SLS launch.

#530 14 days ago

Here’s today’s flight to watch

#531 10 days ago

What do the Vegas bookmakers have on another scrub today?

#532 10 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

What do the Vegas bookmakers have on another scrub today?

Don't forget there's a StarLink launch today too! 3:01 EDT

#533 9 days ago

#534 8 days ago

Looks possible that it’s about to fly

#535 8 days ago

Pretty impressive!

#536 8 days ago

Wow!! (Not going to mention any spoilers).

#537 8 days ago

Of course I was driving during sn15.
    Doh

#538 3 days ago

OSIRIS-REx about to blast away from Asteroid Bennu!

There are 538 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside