Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 831 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by Pinballlew
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space X (resized).png
    IMG_0138 (resized).jpeg
    20230729_072930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5840 (resized).jpeg
    B6D2F8E2-9611-4D1D-A796-845D6B10FA0B (resized).jpeg
    VenusJupiter2 (resized).jpg
    VenusJupiter1 (resized).jpg
    james-webb-contributor-map (resized).png
    med_gallery_229968_21748_321752 (resized).jpg
    Moon about to occult Mars (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20221124_184633 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20221027_182459 (resized).jpg
    20221027_183236 (resized).jpg
    20221027_181714 (resized).jpg
    There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
    #451 3 years ago

Thought seeing this was pretty cool.

HiRISE Captured Perseverance During Descent to Mars

The descent stage holding NASA’s Perseverance rover can be seen falling through the Martian atmosphere.

From Wikipedia:
    High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment is a camera on board the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter which has been orbiting and studying Mars since 2006. The 65 kg (143 lb), US$40 million instrument was built under the direction of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. It consists of a 0.5 m (19.7 in) aperture reflecting telescope, the largest so far of any deep space mission, which allows it to take pictures of Mars with resolutions of 0.3 m/pixel (about 1 foot), resolving objects below a meter across.

HiRISE has imaged Mars exploration rovers on the surface, including the Opportunity rover and the ongoing Curiosity mission.[1]

D54E5221-EAF8-4793-98C1-8534954915D9 (resized).jpegD54E5221-EAF8-4793-98C1-8534954915D9 (resized).jpeg
    #452 3 years ago

Restocking the Space Station launch approximately 30 minutes away

#453 3 years ago
    EusFPkoVoAAMu_n (resized).jpgEusFPkoVoAAMu_n (resized).jpg
    #454 3 years ago

NASA released some videos

Also they are live right now debrief (caught it late but you can rewind it live also if want to watch from beginning)

#455 3 years ago

So mankind landed on Mars faster than Deeproot building a pinball.... Interesting !

#456 3 years ago

No Pinbar required! TM.

#457 3 years ago

An unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile is scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base this week.

The test launch window is between 11:47 p.m. Tuesday and 5:47 a.m. Wednesday from the northern part of the base.

“The purpose of the ICBM test launch program is to validate and verify the effectiveness, readiness and accuracy of the weapon system, according to Air Force Global Strike Command," base officials said in a press release.

It's the first test launch of a Minuteman III to take place at Vandenberg this year. The last one was in October.

#458 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

An unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile is scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base this week.
    The test launch window is between 11:47 p.m. Tuesday and 5:47 a.m. Wednesday from the northern part of the base...

Find anyone covering it? Didn't see it in my youtube space links. Didn't see anything on Spaceflight.com either.

You might have to hop in the car and film it for us!

#459 3 years ago

This is neat, there's a binary message in Perseverance's chute.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #460 3 years ago

Unfortunately I fell asleep before

An operational test launch of an Air Force Global Strike Command unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base Tuesday night at 11:49 p.m.

According to Air Force Global Strike Command, the purpose of the ICBM test launch program is to validate and verify the safety, security, effectiveness and readiness of the weapon system.

Col. Joseph Tringe, 30th Space Wing individual mobilization augmentee to the commander, was the launch decision authority and said, “This first launch of the year demonstrates our ability to provide safe, secure range operations to our launch partners while maintaining a continuous state of readiness. The outstanding teamwork of the Airmen and Guardians here at Vandenberg is a true testament to the future of space operations on the Western Range and our ability to defend the United States and our allies.”

The last Minuteman III missile launched in October of 2020.

#461 3 years ago

Watch some satellites launched on the Falcon 9 live now!

#462 3 years ago

Scrubbed at t- 1:24 till tomorrow

#463 3 years ago

#464 3 years ago

Potentially will launch within 7 minutes

#465 3 years ago

Engine lit at launch then emergency shut off at T-0.1 seconds. Rocket shut itself off. Most likely won’t try again today. Well they said they might try again today, they are still evaluating as I type this.

Update: on track to launch today currently at T- :50

#466 3 years ago

Pretty cool picture of the vent time line indicators

F194E722-1A97-4F05-B75E-DD310C21C7C9 (resized).jpegF194E722-1A97-4F05-B75E-DD310C21C7C9 (resized).jpeg
    #467 3 years ago

Wow. I admit that every time I see this every hair on my body stands up. Love it! So glad that they delayed the launch and I made it home from work in time

#468 3 years ago

Awesome launch and it landed, but wasn't perfect. After a bit of time it exploded. Crazy!

#469 3 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

Awesome launch and it landed, but wasn't perfect. After a bit of time it exploded. Crazy!

That was so awesome!!! I almost turned it off but something told me to wait. So glad I did. Wow. Just wow

#470 3 years ago

Wow, and then another wow. (didn't mean to quote JayDee )

Next up: Falcon 9 launch sometime tonight.

#471 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wow, and then another wow. (didn't mean to quote JayDee )
    Next up: Falcon 9 launch sometime tonight.

Appx when is the falcon launch supposed to be?

#473 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Appx when is the falcon launch supposed to be?

Darn, in the middle of the night:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #474 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Darn, in the middle of the night:[quoted image]

Ugh, thanks for the info though

#475 3 years ago

Does anyone know why they wait until the last possible second to come out of the belly flop?
    Why not give themselves an extra 5-10 seconds?
    It just doesn't seem like they are giving themselves enough time to have a super soft landing.
    I realize today was 98% perfect, but... that was quite a jarring bounce.

#476 3 years ago

Yeah I’m not sure why they wait so close to come out of the belly flop. I thought the same thing too.

#477 3 years ago

If you can’t sleep

#478 3 years ago

It's a 20-second landing process, HOLY cow:

landing -20 seconds 3 engines light to undo the belly flop (4 seconds)
    landing -16 seconds 3 engines providing vertical force to drastically slow descent (4 seconds)
    landing -12 seconds shut off 2 engines (12 seconds with 1 engine)

Visibly with 1 engine, it "seems" like the descent is a static speed, as if 1 is simply not enough to get it done, UNLESS you had run 2 engines for 1-2-3 more seconds to get the velocity closer to zero before you went to 1.

Just wondering!

-mof

#479 3 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

So mankind landed on Mars faster than Deeproot building a pinball.... Interesting !

I heard RM is building an NDA for NASA. Making him look bad and all that.

#480 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Visibly with 1 engine, it "seems" like the descent is a static speed, as if 1 is simply not enough to get it done, UNLESS you had run 2 engines for 1-2-3 more seconds to get the velocity closer to zero before you went to 1.
    Just wondering!
    -mof

I've heard the NasaSpaceFlight guys mention that if SpaceX throttles down the engines too much, they can't sustain operation. i.e. At some point they will shut off.

So 2 engines running at 50% (or whatever the number is) as opposed to 1 at 100% might not be possible, or at least maybe something they prefer not to do.

But to your point - maybe they just need to run the two engines a little longer before going to one. Definitely a learning curve on the landing profile!

They also mentioned the legs were already an issue, and that they were being redesigned.

#481 3 years ago

And we thought pinball was full of failed ideas...

#482 3 years ago

Scott Manley posted a short video with some great 4K video of the legs not working very well. Go to the 4:14 mark.

Some really interesting additional comments.

#483 3 years ago

Here’s a good video of the SN10 flight and explosion

1 week later
    #484 3 years ago

StarShip SN11 static fire (2nd attempt) today.

1 week later
    #485 3 years ago

Launch in the wee hours 3/24 morning.

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Launch in the wee hours 3/24 morning.

I'll have to watch the 'highlights' reel.

And maybe a SN11 launch Wed or Thurs.? Don't know if they have flight restrictions in place tho, but I'm pretty sure the road is closed.

#487 3 years ago

There was also a launch in New Zealand yesterday, led by Rocket Lab, a company down the coast from here in Long Beach:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/03/23/testbed-for-nasa-moon-mission-rides-to-orbit-with-six-other-satellites/

Still no exact date for the next launch near here, the Delta 4 Heavy at Vandenberg with the spy satellite. Just says "April". Won't want to miss that one, though, those are huge.

#488 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

There was also a launch in New Zealand yesterday, led by Rocket Lab, a company down the coast from here in Long Beach:
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/03/23/testbed-for-nasa-moon-mission-rides-to-orbit-with-six-other-satellites/
    Still no exact date for the next launch near here, the Delta 4 Heavy at Vandenberg with the spy satellite. Just says "April". Won't want to miss that one, though, those are huge.

There's so much rocket stuff going on, I'm having a hard time keeping track of them all!

BTW, LabPadre is saying the Boca Chica flight TFR's for Mar24-25 have been cancelled. Road closures too. So no attempts to launch those days. Mar 26th TFR still in place.

Soyuz launch later tonight.

#489 3 years ago

Looks like SN11 was a success?

#490 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Looks like SN11 was a success?

You might be thinking of the Falcon 9 that was launched early this AM. It was carrying more StarLink sats. StarShip SN11 is still earth bound.

Or SN11 landed right back on the launch platform!!

#491 3 years ago

Starship SN11 static test any time now. And if goes well...a test flight too.

#492 3 years ago

Yeah it might fly today

#494 3 years ago

Yeah, was it weather? Wouldn't have seen much anyways...so I guess 'good'.

#495 3 years ago

Just keep launching those Starlink satellites. My only hope to finally getting high speed internet!

#496 3 years ago

Update on the Delta IV Heavy National Reconnaissance Office Launch at Vandenberg - - "no earlier than April 26."

#497 3 years ago

We were eating dinner tonight in Port Canaveral and snapped a couple of pictures of the latest SpaceX booster on the barge. This one is looking particularly toasty after many landings.

SpaceX uses a crane to lower the booster onto a large flatbed truck and carry it back to the hangar.

20210327_190115.jpg20210327_190115.jpg20210327_195051.jpg20210327_195051.jpg
    #498 3 years ago

#499 3 years ago

I don't listen to any of the chatter, so not sure what this is, can you speak to someone from Space X or something?

#500 3 years ago

No that’s a YouTube super chat or paid comment feature. The YouTube channel I posted the stream of is not Space X or NASA. They are just a group of people that document these flights.

There are 831 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocket-launch-tonight-at-527-vaf-base/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.